having PCOS and trying to diet HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    ok, I DO have PCOS and 2 LBS IN ONE WEEK? I would be JUMPING FOR JOY!! Don't be so hard on yourself - 2lbs in one week is good for anyone! ESPECIALLY someone that has PCOS...actually that's like almost unheard of!! LOL

:flowerforyou:

COMPLETELY agreed. I too have PCOS and have been at a plateau for about 4 months. I would KILL to lose 2 lbs in a week. What is your secret!?
  • ashmarie484
    ashmarie484 Posts: 484 Member
    I have PCOS too. The metformin will make you feel like crap but it will help aid in weight loss. Benefits of the metformin always weigh out the bad for me. Especially if youre insulin resistant like me. I would try to stay away from as much processed foods and sugars as you can but I would not do the whole Atkins/Low Carb diet. I just think its a quick fix and the weight wont stay off when you start eating normally again. Find a healthy way of eating that you will be able to stick to forever, lifestyle change not a diet.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    I agree that 2 lbs is great, especially with PCOS (which I have as well). I would try going gluten free and trying to eat more "paleo" that is what my dr.s have recommended and it's going really well for me!!
  • cazkath96
    cazkath96 Posts: 60 Member
    aw i feel so much more positive now as i thought that wasnt that much for my 1st week weight loss! i had around 13-1400 cals a day and exercised each day for 20-30 mins :-D think i was just expecting more of a loss but after everyones comments im proud now thank u all!!:flowerforyou:
  • go see your gp wo can giv u either the metformin (works for a alot of people ) or the other option is the birth control pills x

2lb is a fantastic weight to lose WELL DONE YOU ) :)
    i had PCOS but had a full hysterectomy they took the lot was the best thing ever but have HRT issues now lol

good luck and stick to 1-2lbs a week and u will do great x
  • cazkath96
    i could try the gluten free diet it'll be easy as my son is a coeliac :-)
  • brkwv5
    brkwv5 Posts: 6 Member
    Congrats on your 2 pound loss! That's awesome! I also have PCOS, but have been able to lose weight steadily. Just remember that slow and steady wins the race.

As far health amounts of weight loss, 1% per week is generally considered the optimal rate. Obviously, a person who weighs 600 pounds can safely lose more weight per week than a 150 pound person. :-)

Keep your chin up! you're doing great!
  • 5499mandy
    5499mandy Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, I also have PCOS and struggle so hard to lose weight. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 4 years ago after I went to the Dr. because I had gained 30 lbs in 1 year. I've tried so many diets and have had the most success after reading the book "Sugar Busters". It taught me to stay away from sweets and I lost 15 lbs. It's hard to stay away from sweets but I haven't gained any of those lbs back. I don't eat much, I exercise daily and I still cannot lose a pound. I completely understand your frustration.
  • cazkath96
    thank u!! im definatly feeling positive again :heart:
  • grandmeem
    grandmeem Posts: 28
    Permanant weight loss takes time...unfortunately. Hang in there, stay strong and you will get there. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would and now I'm just 3 lbs away from my goal.

Friend me if you'd like, I'm always looking for new friends
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    I have PCOS too. The metformin will make you feel like crap but it will help aid in weight loss. Benefits of the metformin always weigh out the bad for me. Especially if youre insulin resistant like me. I would try to stay away from as much processed foods and sugars as you can but I would not do the whole Atkins/Low Carb diet. I just think its a quick fix and the weight wont stay off when you start eating normally again. Find a healthy way of eating that you will be able to stick to forever, lifestyle change not a diet.

Just a point: metformin did nothing for me, and made me feel horrible.

The best thing for me, was to cut the extra carbs/sugar/flour. Its a lifestyle I have to live with. It is just like celiac or a gluten intolerance, unfortunately, you just have to do it. Realize that it is a medical condition and it will become a lifestyle change.
  • 5499mandy
    5499mandy Posts: 2 Member
    Hi I read your post and was wondering how you lose weight steadily?? Help me too:sad:
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    I have insulin resistance (related) and the metformin will definately help you int he long run, stick with it - it took me about a week for my body to get used to it but it helped me a lot. Definately you will need to make sure your carbs and sugars are low, get more lean protein (I eat a lot of eggs and chicken and occasionally tuna/fish, some nuts and beans as well as a variety of veggies), limit sugary fruits, starchy veggies, and starches in general for best results. Currently i shoot for a 2:1 carb:protein ration but i'm working my way towards 1:1.

Girl, you will have to be more patient though, there will be weeks where you lose nothing, or gain, you have to stick with it - eat well and work out regularly. I alternate cardio and weights and 30-day shred which is a workout video based around circuit traning. Also do a lot of walking on my "rest" days. If you have insulin issues - and if your doc put you on metformin then you do - you need to make sure to not "cheat" too much on your sugars if you want to see regular progress.
  • cazkath96
    sorry to hear your frustration its awful have u tried a low carb diet? i'd have to get my head around it but it makes sense
  • ilik2sew
    ilik2sew Posts: 4 Member
    2 lbs in a week is outstanding! Don't be discouraged. The only way to keep the weight off for good is to lose it slowly and change your eating habits forever! You are off to a good start!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Two lbs. is good. I have PCOS, stop using it as an excuse, it's not one.
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member

This is me although metformin works differently for everybody I have hardly gotten sick at all the only time i feel like crap is if I ate too many carbs that day......... atkins does have a bad rep so I went with the south beach diet instead which instead of lowering your carbs like crazy his thing is teaching you how to choose the right carbs and staying away from processed foods and sugar...... and it's been working great for me I am missing rolls.... white bread..... and white rice but I can have 100% wheat bread and brown rice...... I feel amazing I now have energy back......................................... But I agree with everybody else 2 lbs is amazing!!!!!
  • nanandbai
    nanandbai Posts: 15 Member
    2 lbs in a week is GREAT! I just thru the same thing. My first 2 weeks on my new eating lifestyle and I lost 4 lbs. I was disappointed but my nutritionist said that this is a LIFECHANGE and that is great! Like you, I want that BIG loss but slowly and gradually will help you control it forever! GOOD JOB!
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Hey, that's a very good start so dont give up !!!
    For sure it's gonna take longer than regular people, but look on this website and you'll see lots of girls with PCOS that are fighting hard but they (we !) are loosing pounds... slowly but still...
    Feel free to add me as a friend !
  • th1nkth1nmama
    th1nkth1nmama Posts: 158
    2lbs is good the first week. with pcos it is a little harder something but not impossible. try more fiber and lower carbs. not talking about extreme low carbs but mayeb 100 or 120 a day. lots of great websites that offer good advice.
    good luck!!