Protein Bars: Good or Bad?

Options
hthrld
hthrld Posts: 125 Member
Sometimes I eat protein bars as a mid-morning snack before my work out. Do they do more good than harm?

Replies

• JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What do you consider "harm" and what do you consider "good"? Or are you just throwing this out there and seeing what scare mongering bubbles up to the surface? Oh noes! Soy protein! boobies on my testicles!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time getting enough protein, cuz I'm not a big meat eater.......so I nosh on a protein bar when my intake is low. Can't see why they'd be a problem, and certainly not much different than those who drink protein powders.

What are you worried about???
  • GullyGirl009
    Options
    I find the Nature Valley Protein bars really good. They are packed with 10g of Protein per bar. That along with water, you are full for a while. I swear by them. Make sure they say protein bars because nature valley also make granola bars. I'm sure you willl be satisfied.
  • ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I find the Nature Valley Protein bars really good. They are packed with 10g of Protein per bar. That along with water, you are full for a while. I swear by them. Make sure they say protein bars because nature valley also make granola bars. I'm sure you willl be satisfied.

The major problem with those bars are all of the fats.

Protein bars are a nice snack for added protein and if you have a sweet tooth. I suggest doing some shopping around and choose the right bar for your diet.
  • mariodispenza
    mariodispenza Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how your body responds. The bars tend to have sugar and other fillers, which I prefer to avoid. Even though I compete in weightlifting, I stopped using the powdered protein as well because for some reason, when I use it, my weight creeps up. I have to maintain weight to stay in my class so, the protein supplements don't work for me.

I've been sticking to "if man makes it, don't eat it" and that's been working very well. If the bars or the powder affect you negtively, try some almonds (or walnuts or cashews, etc.), skim milk, or Greek yogurt. All are great sources of protein. Those work for me; I"m 20lbs lighter and have lost no strength in my lifts.

Good luck.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

For the amount of calories in one of those, you can find an alternative bar with 20 grams. If a protein bar has less than that, it aint "packed".
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Many are full of sugars and carbs, so be weary! But if you need extra protein - its not much different than drinking your protein drink after a workout.

Protein Plus Bars - 17-20g of protein / 200 calories
    Special K Protein Meal Bars - 10g protein / 170 calories
    Zone Bars - 12g protein/ 180 calories
    Kashi Cliff Bars - 15g protein / 190-210 calories

All 7g of fat or less. I switch them up so I don't get burned out. I usually have one the morning after a hard workout day to make sure my muscles have enough to heal (and keep me from getting sore).

Obviously you should get your protein from foods: meat/fish, cheese/yogurt, edamame, nuts, beans - but when you're low.... these can add that extra bit to the diet!!
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Check the nutritional value on these things. Most of them have twice as much carbs as they've got protein, and most of those carbs are from sugar. Which just about answers the question. You'll be much better off with a good quality protein powder or chicken strips--which also works out a lot cheaper, by the way.
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i feed these to my son.. he doesn't eat much meat and can use the fat and sugar to make it through the day.. i would much rather give him "real" food.. but he wont touch it.. (he is pddnos and very odd about food).
  • LinzCurlyQ
    LinzCurlyQ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are really good. I'm just sad I cannot eat them anymore because they have almonds in them, but they taste good and have pretty healthy ingredients.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    try making your own homemade protein bars!

1 C all natural crunchy peanut butter
    3 tbsp honey
    1 C oats
    1.5 C whey protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    5 tbsp water

Heat peanut butter and honey in microwave for 30 secs. Stir- add remaining ingredients and mix until well combined. Place mixture in 9x9 baking dish and press evenly into pan. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes, then cut into 8-10 equal servings. You can also double this in a 9x13 pan.
    They come out awesome!
  • Wynweight
    Wynweight Posts: 10
    Options
    I have heard that meal replacement bars are not necessarily bad for you - its for those people on the go, which most of our society is, who dont have time to make a complete nutritious meal. I use them often, but i used them as MEAL replacement, not snacks. The amount of calories in them are pretty high for a snack. So for lunch i will eat one with a fruit and vegetable and it satisfies me! But to each his/her own!
  • clovr24
    clovr24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you can handle before a workout. There of course are better options, but for me what works is a Clif bar (or similar) 45mins before a workout. Otherwise I get an upset stomach and it hinders my workout. Just account for what others have said about the carbs/sugars and experiment :)
  • Mrsmis78
    Mrsmis78 Posts: 62
    Options
    Good. Quest bars are the best! I had a good friend introduce them to me and I LOVE THEM! They are very healthy and have a ton of fiber in them and over 20 grams of protein. Go to their website and check them out. Would recommend these over any other kind you can buy (and I have tried a TON of them!)
  • LinzCurlyQ
    LinzCurlyQ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Good. Quest bars are the best! I had a good friend introduce them to me and I LOVE THEM! They are very healthy and have a ton of fiber in them and over 20 grams of protein. Go to their website and check them out. Would recommend these over any other kind you can buy (and I have tried a TON of them!)

Amen.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat protein bars as a mid-morning snack before my work out. Do they do more good than harm?

They are a measured, quantifiable source of various macros. Pick one that gives you what you need and use it if that's the easiest way for you to get those macros.

It's fuel, and if it's the way to get the right fuel into you, then it's a good fuel. If you're eating them without knowing whether you are already getting sufficient protein in your diet, then you may not be benefiting from them.

Alternatively, if you're using them to stave off hunger for fast food, then you're benefiting from them even if they aren't giving you precisely what you need. ;)
  • ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how your body responds. The bars tend to have sugar and other fillers, which I prefer to avoid. Even though I compete in weightlifting, I stopped using the powdered protein as well because for some reason, when I use it, my weight creeps up. I have to maintain weight to stay in my class so, the protein supplements don't work for me.

I've been sticking to "if man makes it, don't eat it" and that's been working very well. If the bars or the powder affect you negtively, try some almonds (or walnuts or cashews, etc.), skim milk, or Greek yogurt. All are great sources of protein. Those work for me; I"m 20lbs lighter and have lost no strength in my lifts.

Good luck.

This makes no sense. If you are getting 25g of protein from powder or 25g from greek yogurt its still only 25g and only 100kcal. If you are tracking your food you shouldn't see an increase in weight unless a different variable is affecting it. Cashews, almonds..nuts in general are NOT a good source of protein. They are considered fat, they have more fat than protein in them.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you look at the macros of a protein bar you'll find it fits very well as a meal replacement - not a snack. If you want a snack, have an apple or a can of tuna. If you missed lunch - have a bar.
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I eat Think Thin protein bars but only after a hard work out that includes heavy lifting or 5+ mile runs. Lots of times though I'll only eat half of a bar which helps minimimize the cals/fat/carbs etc. They are 230 cals, 0 sugar, gluten free, 25 g carbs and 8 grams of fat. I think they are pretty tasty too :) I get them for $15 per 10 pack box on amazon.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    try making your own homemade protein bars!

1 C all natural crunchy peanut butter
    3 tbsp honey
    1 C oats
    1.5 C whey protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    5 tbsp water

Heat peanut butter and honey in microwave for 30 secs. Stir- add remaining ingredients and mix until well combined. Place mixture in 9x9 baking dish and press evenly into pan. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes, then cut into 8-10 equal servings. You can also double this in a 9x13 pan.
    They come out awesome!

These sound fantastic! Thanks for sharing! :happy: