Elliptical Vs. Treadmill

Options
lcarr1020
lcarr1020 Posts: 62 Member
I have been mostly doing 35-40 mins on the Treadmill when I go to them gym but I have also done the Elliptical a few times as well thinking that it helps work my legs and arms....which one is better for BEST results??

Replies

• phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    lcarr - the treadmill is harder on your knees. As long as you keep your target heart rate in an acceptable range, your body won't know the difference between the two machines. Cardio is cardio - or so my trainer tells me.

Feel free to add me for support if you need it!
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical better. The treadmill is alright but I can feel a better workout on the elliptical and it doesn't hurt my knees as much.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think variety gets you the best results. I do cardio three days a week, one day the elliptical will be my focus with treadmill secondary, one day treadmill will be my main workout with secondary being the stair climber, third day I use the rowing machine most and then stationary bike as my secondary. First machine I do 40 minutes, second I do 20.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The treadmill will make you better in everyday life as the movement is transferable to most of your daily routine. The elliptical on the other hand may increase your endurance a bit, but the motion is not natural, the track may not be the correct range of motion for you and you cannot transfer that movement to any aspect of the real world.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I seem to have a harder workout on the elliptical, but you can't go wrong with the treadmill!
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I have osteo-arthritis in my knees, and I must be doing something wrong on the Ellipitical and that pushing down really hurts. Yet the treadmill doesnt. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong? I want to do the Ellipitical cause it seems to be more of a workout.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The one thing to be cautious about is ellipticals tend to grossly overestimate calories burned. Even the ones that seem like they are close are overestimating. If you are trying to lose weight, I have personally noticed better results from the treadmill in terms of weight loss and losing inches of fat.
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    Bowflex Treadclimber: Best of both!
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The treadmill will make you better in everyday life as the movement is transferable to most of your daily routine. The elliptical on the other hand may increase your endurance a bit, but the motion is not natural, the track may not be the correct range of motion for you and you cannot transfer that movement to any aspect of the real world.

This is why I prefer the treadmill
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Use both and more. I use the treadmill, elliptical, cardio wave and walking/running. I always mix it up...don't want my body getting too used to any one thing.
  • rlmcnay
    rlmcnay Posts: 62
    Options
    Both are great but the Eliptical has less resistance. Less resistance is not always a good thing. It is a great cardio workout but the resistance the treadmill gives the body, i.e. the impact and inclines, are more similar to what the body encounters on a regular basis. If you have the knees for it the treadmill is a better option for a more realistic workout. I have nothing against the eliptical, I have seen people who work out with the eliptical and have very little stamina as opposed to people who used the treadmill. It's your choice really as long as your doing something that is all that matters.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have osteo-arthritis in my knees, and I must be doing something wrong on the Ellipitical and that pushing down really hurts. Yet the treadmill doesnt. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong? I want to do the Ellipitical cause it seems to be more of a workout.

Most likely that the machine makes you conform to it whereas you can change your stride length/pattern on the treadmill.
  • sailorsiren13
    sailorsiren13 Posts: 460
    Options
    i do both to me that is the best result but i like to take it outside as well that is the best for when i'm running a lot of races. I don't burn as many calories but the resistance and conditions for training are better than being inside all the time. if you can swing it.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I think HIIT is easier on the treadmill, but yeah, the elliptical is better for knees
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I think variety gets you the best results. I do cardio three days a week, one day the elliptical will be my focus with treadmill secondary, one day treadmill will be my main workout with secondary being the stair climber, third day I use the rowing machine most and then stationary bike as my secondary. First machine I do 40 minutes, second I do 20.

A believer in this school of thought, or "muscle confusion" as some call it. I'd do as much variation as you can accommodate and enjoy. Treadmill, Elliptical, Stationary bike, Stairclimber / treadclimber, ...
  • Aeonis
    Aeonis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer the elliptical. I have knee pain, and the treadmill really makes it a lot worse. Some variety is good, but I feel as far as minimizing joint stress overtime, the elliptical is much better. I also find I can "cheat" on the treadmill more easily, as in to try to lessen my knee strain I found ways to "run" that hurt less, but actually made my workout less valid in the long run whereas the elliptical forces you to complete the cycle of motion.

I third the "muscle confusion" concept as well. Don't let your body get too much into a routine by repeating the same exercise all the time.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    do both...alternate days. Also if your gym has an AMT (kind of a ramped up elliptical) that's a lot of fun as well and so is an ARC trainer, all give a great workout to do different parts of the body
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee (acl surgery on it two years ago, and it's still not 'the same') so I find I prefer the eliptical - just have to keep up your heart rate! The treadmill is however more of a natural motion/stride.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The one thing to be cautious about is ellipticals tend to grossly overestimate calories burned. Even the ones that seem like they are close are overestimating. If you are trying to lose weight, I have personally noticed better results from the treadmill in terms of weight loss and losing inches of fat.

I think all machines over estimate calories burned, for those really addicted to that number I suggest a heart rate monitor, otherwise, that number the machine puts up might just be the incentive that a newby exerciser needs. That little extra push to keep him or her going when they would otherwise quit.

I, myself, use my own heart rate monitor...which is also just an estimate but I think a little more realistic for me maybe.
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The elliptical should have a pretty smooth motion to it and should be working your glutes and upper leg muscles. Check to see if the resistance is set too high for you. I also have arthritis in my knees and cannot do the treadmill but have been working out on the elliptical for years. Try starting more slowly so you get more used to the motion and set the resistance at the lowest level to start.