Can anyone suggest replacements for bread and potatoes?

Options

Replies

• Glorytohim12345
    Options
    Try spegetti squash in microwave for 12minuets depends on what size. Also trust God of all creation for your baby and yourself. He will
  • tattoocharlie83
    Options
    Cheers guys! I wanna try sweet potatoes they sound good! I just want to cut down on them, but i have a habit of a lifetime to deal with, as every meal i have either has one or the other included in that meal. Thanks for suggesting alternatives :D
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Ole Xtreme Wellness brand has a high fibre low carb tortilla that is very good; I'm not a big bread eater, but my hubby likes the Arnold/Brownberry (same company) smooth texture high fibre bread. (0 calories and 8 grams of fibre.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Dont cut it out just moderate it. Everything is good for you just in moderation. I started to limit my bread to one time a day. Thats it.
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    If you must have bread buy Ezekiel bread. It's pretty good toasted.

This! Love Ezekiel bread...in the freezer section. They've also come out with ezekiel tortillas. 100% sprouted grains, no flour, and fantastic :) I don't eat a lot of bread to begin with, but I use this kind of bread for an open-faced sandwich (one slice) and add a fruit or vegetable on the side in place of the other slice.
  • barb_136
    barb_136 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower, prepare them just like you would prepare mashed potatoes.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up the bread and potatoes if you don't want to. I chose to give up the fat and animal products and I am now healthier than I have ever been, eating up to 80% carbs/day. Both my husband and myself are off of ALL our medications (high blood pressure, heart arrythmia, acid-reflux, etc). I really love my potatoes, particularly red and golden, although I do admit to rarely eating bread.

There's a lot of science and studies out there to support whichever type of diet you wish to pursue. Just like the Paleo followers who believe that the science they quote is accurate, I too feel that the science behind my diet is sound. Clearly, most of us can agree that the SAD (Standard American Diet) is harmful and is causing heart disease, cancer and diabetes. It's the details where we cross paths. I encourage you to do your research, read the studies, read who sponsors the studies and make your own conclusions.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Don't cut carbs, just eat BETTER carbs... whole grain breads and sweet potatoes.
  • AmandaDeShawn
    AmandaDeShawn Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Bread: Sara Lee 45 Calories. 90 calories for two slices :)
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    those ****aki noodles are filling, a little on the bland side, you have to spice them up with a veegie sauce
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    what every one else said! sweet potatoes and whole grain bread! if you don't like whole grain, there are the sandwich thins. i believe they are about 110 cals/ sandwich unlike regular bread thats ~200/sandwich.

also there is ezekiel bread, its in the frozen section. i like it, i use it for open face sandwiches and toast. its loaded with good stuff and ~80cals per slice depending which variety you buy.
  • MotherLaurisa
    Options
    Food For Life Sprouted Grain Bread is more "green" than "grain", so better for you. Also, I read the suggestions for mashed sweet potatoes and mashed cauliflower...hmmm, I think I will mash them both together...sounds delicious!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Burgen's Linseed bread is about the lowest carb on the UK market, but it's still a lot of carbs per slice. Bread is a carb concept, so no real substitute that is low carb.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Not sure what would replace bread, but I just tried a replacement for potatoes that I think is really yummy. Jerusalem artichokes or Sunchokes. You can boil, bake, sautee, steam, or eat them fresh. They are the tubers from the sunflower plant. They have a nutty flavor and are a little lower in calories and carbs. They are a great source of potassium, as are potatoes.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes, 1/2 of sweet potato,edemame (high protein, but also high calories) double up on veggies fill half your plate with veggies,
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys! I wanna try sweet potatoes they sound good! I just want to cut down on them, but i have a habit of a lifetime to deal with, as every meal i have either has one or the other included in that meal. Thanks for suggesting alternatives :D

Baked sweet potatoes are also seriously good with cottage cheese or natural yoghurt, with snipped chives if you like. Have fun experimenting!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I replace all my potatoes with cauliflower! Mashed cauliflower is the BEST! Just prepare it like you would mashed potatoes!

This works better IMO with parsnips. You can treat parsnips pretty much exactly like potatoes. They're just a little trickier to find. GREAT flavor though.
  • marckrebs44
    marckrebs44 Posts: 26
    Options
    I switched to Oroweat Sandwich Rounds (100 calories) for my sandwiches, and have recently started eating Thomas Bagel Thins (110 calories). Both are very tasty, and work very well with the diet.
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hey guys

I'm fairly new here and i find it a struggle to cut down my carbs! I'm eating more protein, but find it hard to cut out bread and potatoes, can anyone suggest replacement's or any advice? I swear i will turn in to a slice of bread the way i'm goin!

Thanks in advance :wink:

Whole grain bread or wraps and for potatos you can use cauliflower
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYbdNO1CYqc
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    More bread and potatoes! They are good for you!