Bob Harper and The Skinny Rules

Options

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Wonder what Oprah would say about no protein
    Are you confusing Bob Harper with Bob Greene?
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Oops thanks gasmasterflas :)
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump4later
  • mrsejennings
    mrsejennings Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was liking the ideas until it got to the "no animal protein".

You need to be eating meat as a main protein source.
    Soy is garbage.

but other than that yes, it's nothing new really. Drink water, and eat protein.

just curious, why do you say "soy is garbage"?

While I don't think soy is garbage per se, I do think it's A) not as good of a source of protein as animal meal, and B) Modern processed soy is garbage.

Also, if you have any type of thyroid condition, the isoflavons in soy can have a harmful effect. And with the fluoridation of water, we're seeing more and more thyroid issues that are subclincial. (fluoride is a way to slow down a fast thyroid, therefore, it would slow down a normal one to subclinical hypo numbers.).

Another thing is that to be not toxic, soy needs to be fermented for a very long time, like over six moths and up to three years. In asia, (which by the way, they don't eat near the soy that we think they do, only about 2% of their diets come from soy) soy is fermented like this (think tofu), but our products like soy burgers, soy meat replacements, etc, are not fermented like that, and sometimes, not fermented at all. Unfermented soy (which is some tofu even over here) can have a very bad effect on the body, leeching vital nutrients the body needs.

Also, the phytoestrogens in soy can have a harmful effect on the estrogen levels in men and women, causing hormonal imbalances.

And endometriosis patients experience rapid cell growth. They have to avoid soy.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'd be in trouble since the way I get protein is from animal proteins. I am severly allergic to soy so I have to read labels of all processed foods....pretty much why I don't eat them. I do agree with the protein at every meal since that is what keeps me full longer and drinking water. I have also been trying to exercise a lot more. I still love Bob no matter what but mostly it's for his body :laugh:
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I love my animal protein. :drinker: ( FYI - I was vegan for 4 years ).
  • IRIST9975
    IRIST9975 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Actually he said one SPLURGE "MEAL" not day!!!
  • bstall1976
    bstall1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    He only suggests no animal protein one day a week which is his all veggie day. You can eat all the animal protein you want the other 6 days a week. Not that this is something that i would do, and none of his ideas are new or innovative. It is the same old stuff all over again. Protein with every meal, drink water and eat lots of veggies. Pretty sure this is what most of us do anyway.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Soy is not the only form of non-animal protien. The purpose of out sourcing your protien to nuts and seeds, is most likely to ensure your body is getting all the necessary essential fatty acids. From my experience, a high protien - low carb diet works really well for a couple reasons. 1. Protien will help regulate and maintain your sugar levels. 2. Protien is heavy and helps you fill up faster and stay that way longer. 3. Carbs turn to sugar, which make people like me sluggish and hungry. 4. Carbs is what gives us that prego look (that stuborn lower belly fat that women especially have issues with)

I saw on that show The Revolution that nuts have absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever and you should never eat them. I thought, "Are you serious?" They are good sources of protein, fiber and fatty acids that you need. I haven't watched that show since
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    His new book is out today. Basically it suggests protein with every meal-one glass of water before every meal and 8-12 glasses per day-one day with no animal protein (to focus on fruits and veggies) and one "splurge" day a week.

any thoughts?

I think you should fully read it instead of telling people what you think you skimmed over. Theres more tips than this and He suggests to shoot for 5 cups of water a day. One day of no meat and one splurge meal per week to keep us sane.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Fall for marketing schemes much? Because I have these pills....they are MAGIC!
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I will have to look into it, I usually love Bob. From the rough outline, it seems like a good plan to me. Just curious what protein sources he suggests with every meal? Is it always meat?

read much??
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

thanks for the correction.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I have a splurge meal either every week or every 2 weeks. I don't eat everything in site. I plan my day. I exercise, I eat well all day and for dinner I will have what I want. I still count those calories. Because I have made changes in how I eat, I often find that my splurge meal does not go that much over my daily calorie allotment, sometimes not at all. I think I do better during the day because I know I am going to treat myself at dinner. I also have found that the change up, helps me keep my weight loss on track. No one is saying that you should wake up and eat your way to bed.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Though normally, I liked Bob, Im starting to wonder about him though.
    He has to use gimmicks, like the ones listed in the OP. He'll never sell books saying, "Eat a balanced diet, and count your calories."

I don't think it's a gimmick to explain what a balanced diet is. The more I learn about food and fueling my body, the more I realize that what the average person thinks is "healthy and balanced" really isn't.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Though normally, I liked Bob, Im starting to wonder about him though.
    He has to use gimmicks, like the ones listed in the OP. He'll never sell books saying, "Eat a balanced diet, and count your calories."
    I don't think it's a gimmick to explain what a balanced diet is. The more I learn about food and fueling my body, the more I realize that what the average person thinks is "healthy and balanced" really isn't.
    Only eating certain foods on certain days? That's a gimmick.
  • ktaylorj
    ktaylorj Posts: 6
    Options
    Anyone know if there's anything you can do to combat flouride in water combatting a bad thyroid? I may be grasping at straws... but dieting and working my butt off in the gym for minimal results.... frustrated.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Anyone know if there's anything you can do to combat flouride in water combatting a bad thyroid? I may be grasping at straws... but dieting and working my butt off in the gym for minimal results.... frustrated.
    I would suggest creating a new thread.
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    He actually says to do one splurge MEAL a week. The thought behind it is that when you plan the splurge you are in control.
    Exactly..not a whole DAY..just a MEAL...
    I like the idea of a meatless day a week. And you don't NEED animal protein per se. Quinoa is the only non animal substance that is also a complete protein, like animal protein. So you wouldn't be missing the other parts of the proteins like with other sources of protein.

Problem solved.
    Agree...I have mine as Meatless Monday