Underweight BMI, but still have belly fat...

Options

Replies

• Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    I want a belly that fat.....what are you talking about? Where is the "fat"????

yeah, me too!
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I was JUST about to post about something similar.

Would upping protein, and limiting carbs at dinner help at all?
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    dont worry about upping your cals and gaining weight, have a look at this, thats what higher cals and heavy weights will do for you :-)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat
  • Sharmender
    Sharmender Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ^Wow that post is awesome :) Thanks everyone!
  • Sharmender
    Options
    What do you guys suggest if I can't get to really heavy weights?? I don't have a gym membership or the money for heavier dumbbells. The heaviest things I can get are 1kg bottles.. Is that good?
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    What do you guys suggest if I can't get to really heavy weights?? I don't have a gym membership or the money for heavier dumbbells. The heaviest things I can get are 1kg bottles.. Is that good?

Tough call. Honestly I don't think 1kg bottles are going to cut it for more than a session. Maybe start saving and keep an eye on garage sales and eBay etc. Or find your self a beefcake bf who will share. Its not much but maybe you could get some resistance bands. They are fairly cheap, but get the toughest strength, I grew out of my mediums in one session, gave them too the MIL. Also Google bodyweight exercises, there's quite a lot you can do with out weights!
  • Sharmender
    Options

Tough call. Honestly I don't think 1kg bottles are going to cut it for more than a session. Maybe start saving and keep an eye on garage sales and eBay etc. Or find your self a beefcake bf who will share. Its not much but maybe you could get some resistance bands. They are fairly cheap, but get the toughest strength, I grew out of my mediums in one session, gave them too the MIL. Also Google bodyweight exercises, there's quite a lot you can do with out weights!

My bf doesnt do any kind of exercise :( haha but thanks :) I'll try to do bodyweight exercises untill I have some spare money.
  • CleanandLean33
    Options
    In the 'Clean and Lean' diet book the author suggests that belly fat is often directly linked to cortisol levels and stress... he says that it's why otherwise slim people can often have difficulty shifting belly fat despite lots of exercise and dieting. He suggests cutting caffeine down to 2 cups a day (as caffeine stresses the body), not over exercising and swapping one work out a week for yoga or something relaxing. Google 'clean and lean diet/ bodyism and you will prbably find some more info.

Best Wishes

Cat
  • Brechin89
    Brechin89 Posts: 92
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) That makes sense... Here is a pic..:

es1ffr.jpg

Your belly is fine, woman that have a six pack without flexing isn't the largest turn on in the world.

I think its safe to say you have a hot tummy....

To answer your question....

You cannot drop weight from just one area of your body. You cannot lose belly fat without losing weight. Sounds like your muscles aren't big enough to have a "healthy bmi" with low bf% so... Lift heavy, to get bigger more defined muscles and keep doing what your doing to burn the calories. You might even gain weight from the lifting.
  • clareeast
    clareeast Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm sure you're already doing this, but plenty of moisturiser after your shower will encourage the skin to shrink back, and that will really help if it is a loose flesh issue.

But I think other posters are correct, you need to build muscle!

I'd kill for a belly that flat, though :wink:
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If you want to weigh more, but be leaner, you won't like this answer, but you should do a bulk/cut cycle. Eat at maintenance + 500 cal and lift heavy (note that enough protein is more than MFP recommends,since you said you are getting enough, I trust it's closer to 30% of your cals). If you do a bulk well, you could probably put on a pound of muscle per month (the other 3 pounds will be fat :( ) then after a few months, lower back down to maintenance -500 while strength training to preserve your new muscles. No lady likes to hear bulk, but the only way to fix belly fat is lower body fat percent. If you don't want to lower weight more, you need more muscle. There's a good article by Lyle macdonald I think it's called "everything you want to know about mass gain" so you can make sure you want to do it and that I haven't mis-remembered anything

Other advice by Lyle McDonald: Yohimbine is supposed to target stubborn fat on your stomach & rear. Not sure of the dosage, but it's something you could look into.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    If you don't have weights, use your own body weight...pushups, triceps dips, planks, side planks, squats, box jumps, pullups mountain climbers, burpess, lunges, etc...Do each exercise until your muscles "fail", the point when you can't do another one...

You will see a big difference in muscle defination/toning....
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If you want to weigh more, but be leaner, you won't like this answer, but you should do a bulk/cut cycle. Eat at maintenance + 500 cal and lift heavy (note that enough protein is more than MFP recommends,since you said you are getting enough, I trust it's closer to 30% of your cals). If you do a bulk well, you could probably put on a pound of muscle per month (the other 3 pounds will be fat :( ) then after a few months, lower back down to maintenance -500 while strength training to preserve your new muscles. No lady likes to hear bulk, but the only way to fix belly fat is lower body fat percent. If you don't want to lower weight more, you need more muscle. There's a good article by Lyle macdonald I think it's called "everything you want to know about mass gain" so you can make sure you want to do it and that I haven't mis-remembered anything

Other advice by Lyle McDonald: Yohimbine is supposed to target stubborn fat on your stomach & rear. Not sure of the dosage, but it's something you could look into.

It is also an aphrodisiac. :-P
  • Sharmender
    Options
    In the 'Clean and Lean' diet book the author suggests that belly fat is often directly linked to cortisol levels and stress... he says that it's why otherwise slim people can often have difficulty shifting belly fat despite lots of exercise and dieting. He suggests cutting caffeine down to 2 cups a day (as caffeine stresses the body), not over exercising and swapping one work out a week for yoga or something relaxing. Google 'clean and lean diet/ bodyism and you will prbably find some more info.

Best Wishes

Cat

Hmm I should look into this :) I do exercise A LOT and drink like 3 cups of coffee a day.. Thanks
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have a "Wheat Belly" haha! Like the book of the same name.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    You are your own gym, I think, is the name of a bodyweight exercises book
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hit the weights hard! Garage sales, estate sales, craigslist, ebay, whatever. Make friends with a gym owner! hehehe but seriously, getting into lifting will make a huge difference for you. I feel you on the $ issue - definitely try some of the things I listed, that's how I tend to go with it and it's worked! I find all kinds of useful equipment and weights.

You look GREAT, by the way! Keep at it and you'll be rockin' an even HOTTER bod in no time!!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    If you don't have weights, use your own body weight...pushups, triceps dips, planks, side planks, squats, box jumps, pullups mountain climbers, burpess, lunges, etc...Do each exercise until your muscles "fail", the point when you can't do another one...

You will see a big difference in muscle defination/toning....

^^^
    this. Little weights are pretty much pointless, so using your own bodyweight will give you a better workout :-)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I did exactly this. Gained 10lbs. There are before and after pictures in my bio. Haveing trouble losing anything again but that's my own fault due to lack of will-power.
  • Sharmender
    Options

I did exactly this. Gained 10lbs. There are before and after pictures in my bio. Haveing trouble losing anything again but that's my own fault due to lack of will-power.

Great pictures... This will keep em motivated, Im really scared though that I'll have that too once I've gained weight again. But oh well, it has to be done!