Tracking strength training in the exercise log

Options
2»

Replies

• Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the question, I've been wondering the same thing!
  • veirelav
    veirelav Posts: 12
    Options
    Heart rate monitors do not accurately measure calories burned through strength training, they overestimate. They're only accurate for cardio. I would be careful about eating those strength training calories burned: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • becon1022
    becon1022 Posts: 39
    Options
    go buy a good but cheap heart rate monitor, this way you know more accurately how many cal you burn, go into ADD CARDIO make up your own name/workout, add your time & cal burn. easy, simple, must accurate way of doing it. or just go under cardio & pick circuit training or strength/circuit training. but if you go to add under strenght you can only write down your info but no cal will be taken away
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors do not accurately measure calories burned through strength training, they overestimate. They're only accurate for cardio. I would be careful about eating those strength training calories burned: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

I am not sure I buy that, to be honest...

I eat mine (and then some, most days), and I do just fine... I trust my HRM. I keep my sets fast and heavy and incorporate different muscle groups and do a lot of combined movements in the free weights room--keeping my HR between 75 and 85% of max.

Works just fine and dandy for me...
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Options
    I have a HRM and put mine in as Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) under Cardiovascular.
  • Dreamweaver_5107
    Dreamweaver_5107 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yah I am not going to do deads with a HRM lol that's ok, I have been doing this for a long time I can fill in the blanks....
  • sassypoppet
    sassypoppet Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    hmmm, I hadn't thought about an HRM to be honest but I do think it would be a good idea. I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck when I'm working out, and being fanatical about calories and food tracking is really starting to work for me, plus I'm OCD that way :)

I just want to get new leathers cause they are too expensive to buy multiple pairs!! :)
  • sassypoppet
    sassypoppet Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yah I am not going to do deads with a HRM lol that's ok, I have been doing this for a long time I can fill in the blanks....

hah - not studly enough for ya? Haha, I was a collegiate athlete, but I don't mind looking like a complete dork nowadays.. I don't know all the blanks yet :)