Replies

• lauraloo83
    lauraloo83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    thank you x
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your really helpful replies. Especially regarding lifting for different areas on different days (arms one day legs the next).

Re: doing HIIT and lifting on different days, unfortunately this isn't an option for me. I have found that I am still improving with weights even when I do them after HIIT, as I am still managing to increase the amount of weight over time so I am definitely getting stronger.

You may well be getting stronger and I applaud your effort but you should still consider splitting the days. HIIT and Strength Training both affect the central nervous system and there should be some recovery between. You will get full benefit from both by splitting them. I see you say you can't and there may be some limitation causing this but it would be best if you could.

Only because I just don't think a weight session by itself will be much of a workout. My gym is a council owned/local authority one and the weights are very limited. The only free weights they have are dumbells. I use the weight machines such as lat pulldowns, leg curls/extention/press, chest press, adominal crunches....usually 4 sets of each x 8 reps. I just don't see how that by itself will benefit me more than doing it in a session with a bit of cardio. I am a bit thick though, so if you/someone could explain!!

because if you do both, it means you are not pushing yourself enough
    HIIT is extreme exercise that should make you dead tired.
    You should perform high intervals at 90% of what your heart can do, anything less is just regular interval training, not HIIT.
    As for lifting, I use dumbbels only, but dumbbells in my gym go up to 30 kg (>60lbs) so it's pretty intense, I do full body rutine, 5 exercises, compund moves.

I would say that if you are trying to make best possible progress you need to rearrange your rutine, changing both HIIT and lifting to more challenging. Then you will understand that only lifting or only HIIT can be enough.

This! When I do a HIIT session there is no way that I would have enough left to lifts. Quite honestly, I have all I can to just to make it to the locker room and get a shower. Vice versa on lifting days. My HIIT routine is 3 minute warm up and then 8 intervals of 30 seconds each all out with 90 seconds rest in between. Lifting, I do Stronglifts 5x5. Both kick my butt. Possibly you can work with the machines and dumbells and jack up the intensity? During HIIT I use a HRM and go at 90 to 95% of max heart rate during the peak intervals. If there is any way you can, I think you would benefit by splitting HIIT and Strength to different days and increasing the intensity of both. Also build in at least 2 rest days so your central nervous system and muscles can restore and rebuild. 6 days at high intensity is probably too much. There are 2 sides to the equation WORK/REST. Both are important!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Go ahead, knock yourself out.

I say go for it. I run then take a walk everyday until I feel like my body needs a break, which is rarely now that I've gotten fitter.
    Just like with eating, listen to your body and you'll be fine.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is only too much if you are not fueling your body properly for that amount of activity. In other words, as long as you are eating back most or all of your exercise cals you will be fine.

I do agree with the others though. If you are doing HIIT properly you should not be able to do much afterwords.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    How do you feel with the workouts you are doing now? Are you overly sore? Do you get fatigued? If not, you can probably work your way up to doing both workouts on the same day. Maybe start with every other or every third day and see how it goes. If you start to hit that wall and get that overall fatigue, irritability and pain, tone it down until you build up more endurance.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    It may be too much for some, but if you are comfortable with it than go for it! I run twice a day as well as doing RI30 & 30DS & go to the gym. Your body will tell you when you need rest, but until then have at it!
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It is only too much if you are not fueling your body properly for that amount of activity. In other words, as long as you are eating back most or all of your exercise cals you will be fine.
    yeh this is about what i was going to say
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    Erm, no....not every day for the rest of my life. Nor do I ever intend on having 1 kid, let alone 10.

Anyone else?

Then yes it is too much exercise. Unless you're training for a sport specific event there's no need to work of twice a day. It overtaxed your body.

The kids example was just that an example. There are thousands of other ones I could have used. If you can't see yourself keeping up wih something long term then it's too muh for weight loss and/or fitness.
    I have 2 kids and am very obese - I workout for an hour in the morning and an hour over my lunch. I also work full time and have 2 young children. I am working to increase my strength and endurance, and eventually, plan to add an evening workout as well. It can overtax your body if you do too much, too fast. I took a year to build up to these workouts. I know that there are some weeks that I push too hard and get over tired. When I do that, I decrease my intensity and add in extra rest days. I enjoy the activity. I plan to keep this up forever.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Erm, no....not every day for the rest of my life. Nor do I ever intend on having 1 kid, let alone 10.

Anyone else?

Then yes it is too much exercise. Unless you're training for a sport specific event there's no need to work of twice a day. It overtaxed your body.

The kids example was just that an example. There are thousands of other ones I could have used. If you can't see yourself keeping up wih something long term then it's too muh for weight loss and/or fitness.

Once you reach your goal, you only have to maintain. Technically, she wouldn't have to imagine doing it for the rest of her life, because she wouldn't be. Of course to see results, she may do this work out for a period of 60-90 days before it may become ineffective. Maybe her stamina is higher than yours, so to you it may seem as a lot, but someone whom could maintain the workout it’s not going to be a problem for.
  • Dreamweaver_5107
    Dreamweaver_5107 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    they way you do it is sabotaginng improvements in both HIIT and lifting

I would recomend you not to mix HIIT with lifting

better do lifting 3 times a week, and HIIT other 3 days a week
    take 1 rest day a week (you can walk maybe swim or bike but on slow pace)

HIIT should be so intense that after you cannot perform lifting, if you can you are not pushing yourself enough.

This is what I do:
    lots of walking (every day about 1h, I simply walk everywhere)
    lifting 3 times a week
    HIIT 2 times a week (I would do 3, but I'm too lazy...)
    if I want to burn more calories, after HIIT 5 minutes cool down and then bike or some interval jog/walk (jog 5mph) - I couldn't go any faster, 20 minute HIIT really takes all my energy.

Also if you want to burn more calories instead of 20 min HIIT you can go for 40 min interval training, not as intense as HIIT but as you can perform it longer, you will burn more. After lifting you could also perform aditional interval training, but only if you stop doing HIIT every other day.

so you can do this:

lifting 3 x week (for example monday, wed, fri), HIIT + low/medium intensity cardio 3x week (tue, thu, sat), rest day sunday
    or
    Lifting and intervals after lifting 3x per week (for example monday, wed, fri), resting other days

and ad some low intensity cardio (walking, swimming, leasure biking) on the top of that

Holy Crap you mean I have been doing it wrong. all these years... lol

Yah I think lifting first then HITT works very well, I have used to it to get ready for contests many times and it's quite muscle sparing.... The idea is glycogen is low and it's a good tiem to burn off some extra fat. The other optimal time is fasted mornings with is also a very good time for weight training. Fasted trainig is very effecitve for fat burn and performance.

Yes I do mix my cardio up as well....I think it's a good idea.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options

Anyone else?

How does this even make sense??? She doesn't need to be training for anything. She can work out more now, drop weight, tone up, whatever and when she is comfortable with where she is she can cut back on workouts, up calories, or whatever is needed for a healthy consistent lifestyle. You are giving totally bogus information here!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's too much at all, as long as you're not going like that every day. I'd suggest taking 1-3 days off a week and backing off a bit if you start getting really sore. I say go for it!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Hello...

So I go to the gym 3 or 4 times per week where I do 25 mins of HIIT, 5 mins xtrainer (to warm down) and weights. On my non-gym day during the week I go for a lunchtime run, just 5-6k gentle jogging.

I was wondering if I would be okay doing both of these things on the same day in order to increase my stamina, fitness and calorie burn.

I have heard of people who run twice a day so sure this is no different? Can anyone advise whether it would be sensible to do this or whether it would be deemed as too much?

TIA :-)

Many if not most of the people who run twice a day are elite athletes who are in training for specific races. Their calorie intake reflects the amount of exercise they do. By and large they aren't trying to lose weight - but they have to maintain so as not to lose muscle to body cannibalism. In that same vein, you'll need to be diligent about eating back your exercise calories so as not to have your body eat the muscle you're working so hard to develop.

I'm currently training for a marathon (most definitely as a non-elite), and from past experience, I know that the amount of training alone and the nutrition required to do it right make marathon training not an ideal time to try and lose weight. I'm going to give it my best shot simply by being more diligent about what I eat...but I know that I may not be able to hit my weight loss goals AND run the best marathon I can. I might have to make a choice.
  • MjDavis1981
    MjDavis1981 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I wish I was that motivated. I do Zumba 5 days a week. And that's about all I can handle. With my health issues, my body just wears down easily. And every now and then, I will take a day and sleep for like 20+ hours. Dr says it's okay for me, and I should just let me body tell me what it wants. But to learn the difference between lazy and tired.
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    Thanks to all for their replies. I haven't started doing the lunchtime run AND gym in the evening yet, but I am enjoying my lunchtime run on my non-gym day so much that I want to do it every day! I also want to still be able to do the gym work as well...

I don't exercise on Saturdays/Sundays - those are my rest days. Although if the weather is nice I may go for a leisurely bike ride or walk...but overall they are rest days.

Re: the HIIT thing, when I am doing it, doing the sprint part, I honestly feel like I can not go any faster/harder, so this is why it is really confusing me when you say that I am obviously not working hard enough if I can lift weights in the same session...

EDIT: Am I getting this right: If I lift before doing intervals it is ok, but not the other way around?!
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    Is there a trainer at your gym that you could run this by? Someone who sees you do what you are doing?
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    just listen to your body, it will tell you when you need to slow down and take it easy. Have fun!
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    As a fitness trainer, we pretty much train 1-2 or even 3 times a day. And i can tell you this, most trainers (I know, not all) actually gained weight and started to store fat because we don't give our bodies rest and not eating enough. I would have my own training schedule and teach too many classes. I was working out 15-20 hours a week.

So i had to tell myself not to do the actual class and start instructing more ( although, the class found it motivating if i did it with them). So once I adjusted my workout hours to 6-7 hours a week. Weight started coming off and I became leaner.

This is just personal experience. i actually do know some people who workout 15-20 hours a weeks and are doing just fine. I think my problem was the diet part and no rest mainly.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I know people who work out even more than that, and don't have any problems with it being too much.

Personally, I believe your body will TELL YOU when its too much exercise. If it feels good, and you aren't getting run down/exhausted from getting a doing this much, then by all means, go for it.

Just be sure to pay attention to your body when it needs a rest!!
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    you should get your strength training in first so you can push your muscles to their potential, then do the cardio training. Cardio first can alter how well you can do for strength training. If your goal is to run faster and harder, pylometrics will help and switching up your routine.

Keep in mind too that all people are still different. everyone that does the same exact training will still have different results. You apparently are hardcore for maximizing your time in incorporating so much training, but if you want more results, give your body a longer rest. It's resting where your body is doing its growing...