Tell me about your rock bottom

Options

Replies

• montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale and it read 252 (I am only 5ft 2). It was at that moment I realized that I was officially closer to weighing 300 pounds than 200. Something in me finally snapped and I signed up for Weight Watchers (for the 5th or 6th time) that morning. I made a promise to myself that I would continue going to WW until I got to my goal -- no matter how long it took.

Took me 6 years to lose 100 pounds and 6 1/2 years to get to goal and Lifetime with WW. I gained and lost so many time over the years, but I never gave up. It was so worth the time, money, and struggle. I have a life now and I don't plan on giving it up!
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My husband and I got into a HUGE fight.
    He told me he was disappointed in me...because he felt I wasn't trying hard enough to take care of myself!
    He wanted his "girlfriend" back.....so I decided it was time to give her back to him!
    I have struggled...the weight has gone up & down over the last 3 years............but this time is going to be different! I AM going to succeed!
    I also had to get my anemia and hypoglycemia under control.
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    I have had 2 very different rock bottoms

The first at 27 - I faced the fact I was anorexic when I saw my back reflected in a friend's sun glasses and could see ribs all the way down my spine until my bony pelvis :( I started weight training and put on 10 lbs the first year :)

The second at 43 when I walked 1 block and had to use my inhaler because I was so out of shape and overweight. I realized I was killing myself with food and that I wanted to live to see my grandchild grow up. I started weight training again, quit smoking, got divorced..( I count him as 200 lbs of ugly fat) and lost 35lbs.
  • idziak04
    idziak04 Posts: 69
    Options
    This past January I had enough. All of my clothes felt tight, I had no energy and pretty much felt like crap all the time. I feel so much better about myself now. I am so glad that i found MFP.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    My "good angle" for pics made me look like my mother's pregnancy pics, and I'm a triplet. :noway:
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When my knee blew out and couldn't walk for a weekend and my husband, who has never said boo about my weight, cried and asked me to start taking care of myself so that I didn't die of heart disease. HUGE wake-up call.
  • Por2gueseMama
    Por2gueseMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Before I found out I was pregnant i had planned a vacation for the summer of 09 and was trying to lose about 50 lbs starting in january but i really didnt stick to any diet plan didnt workout all that much and i weighed 184 which was my highest. Found out i was pregnnt in march of 09 and went to my pre natal apt and weighted 186 made me upset but i was pregnant so i couldnt do much about it. So i never went on my vacation due to complications with the baby. the day after i delivered my son I weighed 202 I was so upset but i knew i just delived a baby and thats what happens you gain weight when your pregnant. I delived my son in october and by april i weighed 160 which i was really content with i felt great in my body during the summer i actually did a biggest loser challenge at work and by the end of the summer i was 150. In september I started school full time and still trying to work and chasing after a little one i was 148 still pretty happy but i got so stressed trying to keep up with everyhting that slowly i started slipping up. I was always eating on the Go (FAST FOOD) not making time to workout slowly i started to gain and one day i got on the scale and i weighted 163!!! I could have cried but I said nop not again so i started workout super hard again and lost 3 lbs before i heard about MFP and now have lost 7lbs with it so 10lbs loss total. I dont want to gt back to the pre baby weight 184. i feel so confident now that i am losing weight again and I am a single mom so i have a lot to show for! My son is my motivations. i am 21 and a mother but i dont have to use the excuse that i had a baby to be fat i wanna be proud that had a baby and was able to bounce back and wear a bikini!
    Angela
  • alexroet
    alexroet Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I knew I needed to lose weight for a long time... i looked fat, I never felt sexy or attractive, guys ignored me, I didn't like having to buy such big clothes. Etc. But it was when I went to visit my sister before she had her baby and we went to get a massage, and she got on the scale, and I realized that I weighed more (not pregnant) than she did, at 8 1/2 months.

My mom's reality check was when she "hit the boiling point" - i.e. hit 212 on the scale.
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I do love this thread. Thanks for posting it.

My rock bottom was not having any clothes left that I could comfortably fit into and I knew I looked like I had been poured into the ones I was wearing. The other thing was that I attended a basketball game at the University, and I was beginning to wonder if I could fit into the seat. How embarrasing!!! Thus, time to do something had arrived. Rejoined Weight Watchers at 259 on 8/05/10 and have been very nonchalant about following their true guidelines, happy to take whatever I got each week. I have not missed hardly one week of meetings, yet because of my own lacadayical attitude, have lost only 33 lbs in that time period.

Three weeks ago, a very nice young man opened a personal training business in my back door, so to speak. I talked to him and signed up - since booking the dream vacation of a lifetime to fly to Hawaii for a week Nov. 6 of this year, I am not very strict with myself and ready to take my BMI down from morbidly obese as fast as possible. Since losing 33 lbs. it has gone down from 45.9 to 40.0, so thank God I am on my way!
  • mh37909
    mh37909 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I couldn't buy t-shirts at Target because they don't carry XXXL.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have a rock bottom. I knew I'd stopped exercising regularly and had been gaining weight. I've been thin most of my life so when I put on weight I just don't feel like me anymore. So I did the cliche thing and waited till Jan 1 and made a resolution to started exercising again.
  • prettylyzard
    prettylyzard Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My student hugged my fat stomach, looked up at me and asked, "does it keep you warm at night while you sleep, like a polar bear?"

She wasn't being hurtful, she was completely innocent. But I cried. :sad:

That was the moment I knew my stretchy pants weren't fooling anyone. I didn't even know what I weighed, I didn't own a scale.

When I found out the number was 237, I was shocked. Badly. I didn't expect it to be above 200.

But then I found MFP, fast forward three years, and now my life and my health are completely transformed.

That sucks, but it is also the cutest thing I've ever heard.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    For over a year all my clothes were snug. I kept covering myself up, buying spanx, and living in the world of denial...saying I will lose weight....it will come off...blah blah blah...tomorrow I'll do this and that....etc. Excuse after excuse...

It wasn't until I jumped on the scale and saw the NUMBER that I realized just how big I was getting. I weighed pretty much the same weight as my fiance! Granted he was underweight at the time but still...I weighed the same amount as a 6 foot man! I was so disgusted with myself.
  • thershey
    thershey Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I got on the scale and I was 5 lbs from the 200 mark, I am only 5'4! I had quit smoking almost a year ago and had really packed on the pounds from that. So now that I am well over a year smoke free it was time to take that weight off.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    When I realized I'd been in the same funk for three years since my husbands affair.

He realized how depressed and low I'd become and signed me up to a gym and joined MFP not long after. I still have my issues to work through in regards to how I feel about myself, but at least I know my weight is something I can control and manage. And that helps. =)
  • AmberLee2012
    AmberLee2012 Posts: 540
    Options
    My rock bottom is when I saw 199 show up on the scale. I’m only 5’3 so that is a lot. I promised myself I would never see 200 on that scale. I am now down to 175. I can’t wait to hit my goal weight of 135.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    When I lost my job, my wife, my mom died, I was fat, and it almost cost me my life. that's when I realized that there are some things that you can't control, but I could control my weight and it was making me miserable. so I started slow, taking walks while I tried to sort my life out.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am there now. I have a great life--I walk around feeling unattractive, chubby, annoyed at myself and lazy.....
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    The photo on the left, taken in December 2009, was my rock bottom. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this picture. I knew at that moment I had to do something before it got more out of control. My daughter had just turned 2 years old at the time and I couldn't continue blaming it on baby weight. Enough was enough!!! January 1, 2010 was the start of my journey and I'm still sticking with it!

before_after002.jpg
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    When I fell asleep at night, wondering if I would wake up. Thinking how I should probably teach my 7yo daughter to dial 911 or my sister's number in case I died in my sleep and she found me. Yeah not happy thoughts is it? I am only 29 and that was the kinds of thoughts I thought...