Would this be too much exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I know people who work out even more than that, and don't have any problems with it being too much.

Personally, I believe your body will TELL YOU when its too much exercise. If it feels good, and you aren't getting run down/exhausted from getting a doing this much, then by all means, go for it.

Just be sure to pay attention to your body when it needs a rest!!

While I generally agree with "listen to the body", I've encountered far too many people who will say "Oh, I'm tired..." or "Oh, this hurts..." but follow that with "...but I HAVE to work out. I get grumpy/frustrated/depressed/insert your own word if I can't!!!" These are people who very potentially could be classified as being addicted to exercise. They physically cannot or will not listen to the signals their bodies are sending to stop or take a break because they're so addicted to the endorphins.

So yes, your body will tell you when it's tired/overtrained. Just make sure you can listen to your body and respond to what it's telling you and NOT say "But I have to!!!"
  • Dreamweaver_5107
    Dreamweaver_5107 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know people who work out even more than that, and don't have any problems with it being too much.

Personally, I believe your body will TELL YOU when its too much exercise. If it feels good, and you aren't getting run down/exhausted from getting a doing this much, then by all means, go for it.

While I generally agree with "listen to the body", I've encountered far too many people who will say "Oh, I'm tired..." or "Oh, this hurts..." but follow that with "...but I HAVE to work out. I get grumpy/frustrated/depressed/insert your own word if I can't!!!" These are people who very potentially could be classified as being addicted to exercise. They physically cannot or will not listen to the signals their bodies are sending to stop or take a break because they're so addicted to the endorphins.

So yes, your body will tell you when it's tired/overtrained. Just make sure you can listen to your body and respond to what it's telling you and NOT say "But I have to!!!"

That's a good point, have to know the difrerence between good pain (I love it) and bad pain ( not so much) . Comes with experience...untill you do you should err on the side of caution. Many a time a trainee has said to me this hurts should they take it easy. I just tell them I can't feel what you're feeling so be careful. I know when to train and not to but I can be stuboron being a highly motivated athlete.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The other issue to be tuned into is fatigue and lethargy. Sometimes in the absence of pain these symtoms can indicate overtraining. Especially where the central nervous system is involved in things like HIIT and heavy lifting. To the OP, God bless you if you are able to go all out at HIIT and still have energy left for strength training!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Well said, and while I am guilty of saying how I "hate to miss a workout", I couldn't agree more that its extremely important to include rest in everyone's fitness routine. I do see a lot of people here who seem to be terrified to take a day off for fear they'll fall off the speeding train and not be able to get back on. Its all about finding a sustainable lifestyle balance.
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    Hi to all and thanks for further replies.

So, today I tried weights first, and yes I was able to increase the kg of the weights for most of the machines but only by 1 marker....and then I tried to get on the treadmill and my legs wouldn't work! I just could not run, I felt so weak....so I did walking uphill instead of intervals.

I am going to try what the majority here suggested and do weights on a different day to intervals, but can I clarify: Could I still have an afternoon run on my lifting days, as I won't be lifting until 5-6 hours later?

Also, to the person who said: "god bless" - lol, that did sound a bit patronising ;-) but as I stated earlier, maybe my HIIT isn't actually HIIT, but just plain ol' intervals?

As I said as well, I don't have a heart monitor but I can tell you what my routine was: running at 8.6 mph for the sprint followed by walking at 4.3mph. For 25 mins. May not be a lot to you, but for someone who couldn't do a gentle jog for even 1 minute last year, I'm quite pleased. Maybe I got ahead of myself thinking what I was doing was HIIT :-/
  • mmapags
    Options

So, today I tried weights first, and yes I was able to increase the kg of the weights for most of the machines but only by 1 marker....and then I tried to get on the treadmill and my legs wouldn't work! I just could not run, I felt so weak....so I did walking uphill instead of intervals.

I am going to try what the majority here suggested and do weights on a different day to intervals, but can I clarify: Could I still have an afternoon run on my lifting days, as I won't be lifting until 5-6 hours later?

Also, to the person who said: "god bless" - lol, that did sound a bit patronising ;-) but as I stated earlier, maybe my HIIT isn't actually HIIT, but just plain ol' intervals?

As I said as well, I don't have a heart monitor but I can tell you what my routine was: running at 8.6 mph for the sprint followed by walking at 4.3mph. For 25 mins. May not be a lot to you, but for someone who couldn't do a gentle jog for even 1 minute last year, I'm quite pleased. Maybe I got ahead of myself thinking what I was doing was HIIT :-/

My apologies if my comment sounded patronizing. Envious is more like it! As to the run and lifting on the same day, that should be fine. There is generally a recomedation to have at least 8 hours for CNS recovery of doing HIIT but if you are just doing moderate intensity steady state run and you have the energy to lift later, great!
  • sozzell
    Options

My apologies if my comment sounded patronizing. Envious is more like it! As to the run and lifting on the same day, that should be fine. There is generally a recomedation to have at least 8 hours for CNS recovery of doing HIIT but if you are just doing moderate intensity steady state run and you have the energy to lift later, great!

Thanks for your reply. Think tomorrow I will try the jogging at lunch and then just lifting at the gym in the evening :-)

Could I also ask anyone whether they think the weights I do is sufficient? 8 reps, 4 sets of 7 or 8 different weight machines?
  • mmapags
    Options
    Went back and read your workout details and it looks fine. If I were to adjust anything it would be no more than 6 reps and higher weight. Up to about 6 reps builds strength without size. Once at 8 reps and over, you are going into the hypertrophy zone where you build size. Probably not an issue for you as a woman as it's very hard for a woman to build size due to lack of testosterone (and steriods). So that adjustment is really a shade of grey. Other than that, looks good!
  • sozzell
    Options
    Sorry only just seen this, thanks for your reply!