The fat you eat is the fat you wear

Options
Pangui
Pangui Posts: 373 Member
I know many of you think this statement is outdated and proven incorrect. Fat seems to be very popular these days and certainly one can lose weight eating plenty of fat if he/she cuts out enough other things to maintain a calorie deficit. Personally, I think consuming excess fat can lead to heart disease, cancer and diabetes. Certainly, how we define "excess" and what types of fat, play into the mix as well.

Here is an interesting article on how fast the fat you eat is deposited directly to your waistline.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technology/hits+your+waistline+fast+study+says/6621179/story.html

Replies

• SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Not on a calorie deficit. Article doesn't mention that.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I know many of you think this statement is outdated and proven incorrect. Fat seems to be very popular these days and certainly one can lose weight eating plenty of fat if he/she cuts out enough other things to maintain a calorie deficit. Personally, I think consuming excess fat can lead to heart disease, cancer and diabetes. Certainly, how we define "excess" and what types of fat, play into the mix as well.

Here is an interesting article on how fast the fat you eat is deposited directly to your waistline.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technology/hits+your+waistline+fast+study+says/6621179/story.html

The problem is that it's not a nuanced statement. Certainly, the human body, in particular the brain, needs a certain amount of fat. Fats also range in degree of healthiness. How and where you deposit fat is related to your state of fitness and genetic predisposition. No knowledgeable person thinks that all fats are equal and that they can be consumed in large quantities without ill effects.

So I think I just spent a couple of minutes responding to a Straw (Fat) Man argument.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    So I think I just spent a couple of minutes responding to a Straw (Fat) Man argument.

Same. I want my 3 minutes back.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I know many of you think this statement is outdated and proven incorrect.

Indeed. Analysis of adipose tissue reveals a different composition of fats to those in the diet. Therefore you are not what you eat and the fat you wear is not the fat you ate - it was most likely carbohydrates with the standard american diet.
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Personally believing something doesn't make it scientific fact. I could believe my cat Tom is the supreme God and overlord of our solar system, and we should worship this stray cat. Doesn't make it true. Study after study shows that it isn't dietary fat that causes those problems: it's inflammation and excess carbohydrates.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hummm well I must be the exception to the rule cause when I greatly upped my fat intake and decreased my carb increase I lost body fat.....
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Yummy FAT IS GOOD!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Yes, some fats are bad for you. And some are good. But I think fats are necessary and really help people who are living an active lifestyle. The article you quoted provides the proof:

"The scientists discovered the fatty tissue round the waist was used only for shortterm storage, so it can be used if, for example, people start exercising and needs energy.

If they continue eating to excess, however, the fat is moved into the fatty tissues around the hips, buttocks and thighs, for long-term storage."

So, it's not really about eating fats.....it's about eating too much and exercising too little.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Hummm well I must be the exception to the rule cause when I greatly upped my fat intake and decreased my carb increase I lost body fat.....

I second that!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Fat is so good I am going to eat a pound of butter. Cos carbs make me fat. WHoooo Butter. Scofffff
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I think this depends on the type of fat you are talking about. "good fats" really are GOOD. That doesnt mean all fat is good for you. It doesnt mean you should be eating tons of bacon and burgers and hunks of cheese and heavy cream.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Wait? So this isn't about Lady GaGa's new meat dress?
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Fat's good for you. Real fat, not the quasi-food substance that is margarine. You need fat for proper brain function. Ever wonder why people on low fat diets are so miserable?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'll take "Misunderstanding of Human Physiology" for $400.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    sorry, what did you say? i was eating my bacon...
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Yeah.....no
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Wait? So this isn't about Lady GaGa's new meat dress?

Meat Dress MMMMmmm
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Crap. That means no more Salmon or peanut butter for me.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:

Theres enough for you too dear
    I knew youd hear Bacon!