Why don't I see results from my 30 Day Shred??

Options
I began the 30 Day Shred on April 3rd and finished the last day of level 3 yesterday. I did ten full days at each level with a few breaks as needed. When I started, I weighed 150 pounds (at 5 foot 10 inches height) and my measurements were:

36 inch bust
29 inches at narrowest part of my waist
32 inches at belly button
39 inches at hips
(I am 38 years old)

I did more than half of the moves the "Natalie way" and only modified after attempting to do them this way if I couldn't do it. My weight went up 3 pounds after the first week and did not go down. My measurements are EXACTLY the same afterwards!!! I have read so many posts of success using the 30 day shred and was so hopeful that I would at least lose an inch or two, but instead I come out at the end three pounds heavier. I planned to move on to Ripped in 30 next, but now I am wondering if this is not for me and if I just need to switch to lifting heavy and stop trying the Jillian videos. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Here are my before pics:

2rw6z69.jpgoqkjd0.jpg

And the after pics:

21jd948.jpgscba07.jpg

Replies

• heatheralia
    heatheralia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that my current body fat is 24%. I would like to get it down to 21%, or maybe less.
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Did your measurments change at all? I didn't notice a change on the scale, but quite a bit measurement wise.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Its probably your diet.
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you were eating too few calories (?). TDEE with exercise factored in minus 15% is what you should eat each day. I would go for the weight-lifting now. I find cardio just doesn't give the results that lifting does. Good luck and try not to be discouraged. Your heart thanks you for all your JM work!! Plus, I think you do look better and more defined in the after pics. You look thin enough, so I would focus on increasing strength and tone.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I didn't get much visible results from JM 30DS either. I felt stronger and my belly looked a smudge tighter, but nothing that is significant. I don't know what Ripped in 30 entails, but I am doing bodyrock.tv workouts now and had gotten great visible results. Not much changes in inches and no change in weight, but my body definitely look different. So I suggest doing more full body exercises with heavier weights and/or add in weight training.
  • heatheralia
    Options
    Dawn,
    My measurements didn't change at all!! I don't see a difference looking at my pics either.
  • heatheralia
    Options
    Thanks tenpets for your encouraging words! I guess I see the awesome results others have had from 30DS and wanted that for myself. I am going to look into getting a nice set of weights this weekend. :happy:

IveLanded,
    Any specific suggestiongs on eating? Do you think I should eat less carbs/more protein?
  • britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Options
    the after pics do look like you are more toned...if you were building muscle that would account for the increase in weight, especially since you didnt lose inches so it takes more muscle to fill the spot vacated by fluff :)
  • heatheralia
    Options
    Britexmom,
    I'll take muscle over fluff any day! :smile:
  • erinw1011
    erinw1011 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Maybe because your body is already fabulous? :smile: I don't know, I only add the shred in on occasion but I too have seen a lot of great results.
  • heatheralia
    Options
    Erin,

Bless you for your kind words!! My hubby isn't great at supportive comments, and I could use them today! :flowerforyou:
  • heatheralia
    Options
    QtieKiki,

I will definitely look into that video that you are using. Thanks for the tip!!
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I see a difference in the size of your "stomach", there's even less now. You look more toned to me.
  • heatheralia
    Options
    Bmadiuk,

"Toned" with a flat tummy is what I am shooting for! I'm not really concerned with the number on the scale. I should probably put it away where I won't be tempted to get on it anymore.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You're already in good shape, in my opinion the Jillian videos are pretty basic and geared more towards out of shape individuals.

You look like someone who would greatly benefit from lifting heavy! I spent a few years spinning my wheels on those video type workouts and wasted so much time when I could have been lifting...the change has been so great!
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and for toning check out Ab Ripper X... that destroys everyone.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    OMG..if I had the body you have now..I wouldn't even need to do Jillian's crap :)

That being said, I've noticed quite a bit of change, just toning and stuff and size loss..not necessarily as much weight loss; but I have SO much more to lose than you do!

Look at it as a good workout. It can't be bad if it gets you moving!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I do notice some changes in your abs. That said, you were in pretty fantastic shape to begin with, and in all likelihood, this is not challenging enough for you. I'm very much not in fantastic shape, and Jillian's Ripped (supposedly harder than 30DS) is not nearly challenging enough. I much prefer Bob Harper's Inside Out stuff.

You would probably benefit from stuff along the lines of Insanity, P90X, weight lifting, etc.
  • Greensherbert
    Greensherbert Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think you look more toned as well! congrats!
  • mistymamas
    mistymamas Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    OMG you look AMAZING. You dont need to work out at ALL, your body is perfect. :) Seriously! your husband is lucky - tell him we said so!