Toning without weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• newking
    newking Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That routine looks awesome. I have been looking into lifting but can't afford weights or a new gym membership right now.
  • ConsMom
    ConsMom Posts: 8
    Options
    I've been at this "weight loss" thing for the last year and a half and have been relatively successful, losing a total of about 85lbs. I'm about 5-10 lbs from my final goal weight and am looking to tone up a little more. the problem is that I HATE weight training and I don't have a gym membership.

I was just wondering if you have done any of the above suggestions and if you are seeing or feeling any difference?
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Awe my first bump post haha
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    *Bump*
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    For sure.

Take a look at the male gymnasts at the Olympics later this month. Most of those guys have hardly ever even touched a weight.

There is a lot of stuff out there with bodyweight. Spend some time using your search engine.

I'm currently bulking with mostly bodyweight, my routine consists of:

4 workouts a week, 2 legs, 2 upper body. 4 different workouts to keep it interesting.

Upper Body Dynamic (3 sets each):
    Warmup
    One Arm Pushups
    Assisted One Arm Chinups
    Handstand Pushups
    Tuck Front Lever Rows
    Dragon Flags
    Finishing set of DB Curls, DB Flys, Chinups, and Pushups (only 1-2 sets)

Upper Body Static (3 sets each):
    Warmup
    Wall Handstand for time
    L-sit
    Front Lever Progression
    Back Lever Progression
    Planche Lean
    Frog Stand
    Finishing set of Chinups, Pushups (only 1 set)

Leg Power:
    Warmup
    3 sets BW pistols, light jogging between sets (I try to sub shrimp squats for pistols, but I'm not too good at them yet)
    3-5 125M Hill Sprints (max effort after first warmup sprint, with adequate recovery time between each)
    3 sets Walking Lunges, light jogging between sets

Leg Strength:
    Warmup
    4 sets weighted pistols
    4 sets hand assist glute ham raises
    4 sets falling tower (w/ 10 sec stall at bottom)
    4 sets weight curl-hold (hold a DB in feet straight out for time)
    4 sets one leg straight bridge for time
    1-2 sets holding a deep yoga/martial arts stance for time

My warmup consists of L-sit chinups, pushups, various planks, and shoulder/wrist mobility exercises on upper body days, BW squats, various lunges, stretching, very slow kicking on leg days.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    For those of you who don't comprehend....^^^^^^ is one hell of a workout.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you mean by "toning"? This is one of those words that gets thrown around a lot, but I'm not sure people really know what it means.

In most cases, toning refers to reducing body fat enough to reveal the muscle previously hidden by said body fat. So, the basis of toning is still fat loss, which happens primarily in the kitchen.

(rolling my eyes) don't start, we all know what she means.
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    For those of you who don't comprehend....^^^^^^ is one hell of a workout.

Favorite are tuck front lever rows. They are just fun to do. I use the hammer grip on my pullup bar for them. For those who don't know what they are - dead hang from a pullup bar, with straight arms rotate up and pull your knees to your chest, rotating your hips up to shoulder level. Your back should be parallel to the ground. While holding that position (which is tough on the abs and the lats), do rows for reps.

I'm looking forward to getting to tuck planche pushups (soon hopefully), which are basically the same thing in the other direction. Start in a dip station, rotate your hips up to shoulder level with your knees tucked to your chest, hold that position and do pushups for reps.

You stack a static hold and dynamic movement in the same primary muscle group with them. Awesome exercises.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    absolutely! i only lifted weights for about a month. i actually didnt like how i started to look. my whole album is basically JM RI 30 results and I never even used hand weights.