5am workout, how do you do it??

Options

Replies

• aba160
    aba160 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You get used to it. I'll be honest, it takes me two different alarm clocks plus a sunrise simulator to wake my butt up, but I have my workout gear all set out so I just blast motivating music and crawl my butt out of bed.
    It took me about two weeks to start getting used to the schedule change, and I'm in bed by 8:30 most nights so I can be asleep by 9!

Peachy- does the sunrise simulator really make a difference in you being able to get up?? Worth the investment??
  • Micheetah
    Micheetah Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I can only do it in the spring and summer mostly because the sun is out and thats enough to get me outta bed. Sometimes (like this morning) I didnt want to get up but I couldnt fall back asleep thinking about the cal burn i'd be missing out on and then the dread of working out after work. blah so i got my *kitten* up and did it.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It's HARD...especially since I tend to not get to bed until at least 10 or 10:30...BUT when I do, it's a relief- then I don't have to worry about how to fit it in later in the day. Plus, it feels good to do something good for myself in the mornings, rather than getting up just to go to work, then going to work, then getting home to do house-work...sometimes the AM workouts are the only me-time I get...I pretty much have a love-hate relationship with them, lol!

Also, if you have a smartphone, there's an app called "I Can't Wake Up!" You can set an alarm (a normal alarm or a song, etc.) and it will NOT shut off until you follow certain steps...you can choose for those steps to be something like solving a math problem OR (and this is what I do) you have to go scan something (you pick what it is) using the barcode feature on the app. So the alarm goes off, and I HAVE to get up, walk to the kitchen, and scan the coffee can to make the alarm shut up- and since I get the coffee ready the night before, once I scan the barcode, I can pour myself some coffee!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You have to get to bed earlier. That's the key. If you go to bed at midnight then of course you won't be ready in time. You need to be in bed by like 10 or so.
  • ninakale
    ninakale Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I know it is will power ultimately. I am going to try tomorrow and Friday!
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It takes 28 days to form a habit.

I sleep with my work out gear. Can't remember when I wore a nightie last.
    I also snooze 3 times between 4.30am and 5am.

My main motivation? The extra claories I proudly record on MFP so that I get to eat more. Yum
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    you really have to go to bed early... that can be very hard esp. if you have kids. Another option could be taking a power nap?? I cant do those because it takes me days to just fall asleep.

I used to do 5am workouts but that was because I had no other choice if I wanted to work out. What if you signed up for a spin class or something? Maybe a commitment might get you up!?
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I know it is will power ultimately. I am going to try tomorrow and Friday!

Good for you!
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I do it because I know that if I don't get up at 5, then the workout won't happen. This doesn't make waking up less painful (winter sucks so hard) but it does help drive me slinking out of bed and heading out to the gym.

I also really look forward to my Saturday workouts that I can go to any old time. I look forward to those a lot!
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Been there. Done that, but more like 4am. A drill sergeant beat on a trash can with a stick.
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Like anything, habits take time to evolve successfully and we must not forget the power of mindset on behavior change.

Once you get into a routine of getting up early and working out it doesn't seem so foreign. I've been doing it for almost 10 years now. I'm up at 4:30, have my coffee to wake me and then head to the gym, out for a run, or for a headbanger set of Insanity in the basement.

I've always been a morning workout person because I had/have to with three kids. There is no other choice most days. On the days I don't have to get up early, I still do. For me when I workout early I feel better all day, I eat cleaner all day, I have more energy throughout the day, and I sleep better that evening.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i am the opposite, i find that if i don't work-out in the morning, my energy is zapped all day. working-out early a.m. gives me energy ALL DAY! :smile:
  • makdeniz
    makdeniz Posts: 28
    Options
    I need to be in the shower latest 5.45am to make it for work, so I am really going to try and get up at 5am from now to do a work out before my work day begins!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    You get used to it. I'll be honest, it takes me two different alarm clocks plus a sunrise simulator to wake my butt up, but I have my workout gear all set out so I just blast motivating music and crawl my butt out of bed.
    It took me about two weeks to start getting used to the schedule change, and I'm in bed by 8:30 most nights so I can be asleep by 9!

Peachy- does the sunrise simulator really make a difference in you being able to get up?? Worth the investment??

I started out with one of those Sunrise alarm clocks, and it was for crap. It never got bright enough to really wake me up. I switched to a dawn simulator that you can plug a regular lamp into and then got the brightest light bulb I could get (you can't use a CFL though) for the lamp. It always wakes me up, nice and gently. But it takes alarm noises to actually get my butt out of the bed once I'm awake.
    The dawn simulator was pricey, but SO worth it. Especially in the dark of winter!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I switched from 6pm workouts to 5:30am work outs.
    It sucked at first but once you get used to getting up, its easier.
    Plus at 5am, not many people are there.
    That is good motivation, better parking, less noisy and crowded, less cuties to look at (I kid!).
    I like my pre-work work-outs so much better
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've thought the same thing! However, I just don't have the energy to put in a good workout that early in the morning, so I just accepted that I am an "after-work workout" kind of person. Sometimes, I do go running early morning just because there are less people and cars in the roads, but even then I need to be up for an hour or two before I do that.

It just feels better and I get a better workout after work, when I've been sitting all day and can't wait to get my body moving!

I say, if you're really having a hard time working out at 5am, why do it? You'll lose motivation if you're not into it I think...Stick with after work when you know you'll have a great workout.
  • Sundance722
    Sundance722 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I was actively working out (which I plan on re-starting today -- YAY), I would get up at 5:15a every morning. I find it easier to set out my workout gear, have the DVD/weights ready to go so all I had to do was start working out. On the days where I woke up feeling "weak," I would eat 1/2 a banana about 15m before working out. I started doing that moreso out of habit because I found myself feeling a little bit energized. That could all have been in my mind though... haha

Good luck!
  • jen_lync
    jen_lync Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yep - we definitely posted this same question at the same time. I also struggle with this! And I just can't fathom how people get up at 4am. 6:00am already feels to me like pure masochism. However, I think I just have to do it, as they all say.

I am actually reading this book called The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg, and just reading the book is making me realise that if I make myself do something long enough, eventually it will just become second nature... I grabbed some interesting excerpts and pasted below in case anyone's interested:

“All habits—no matter how large or small—have three components, according to neurological studies. There's a cue—a trigger for a particular behavior; a routine, which is the behavior itself; and a reward, which is how your brain decides whether to remember a habit for the future.

Studies indicate that anyone can use this basic formula to create habits of her or his own. Want to exercise more? Choose a cue, such as going to the gym as soon as you wake up, and a reward, such as a smoothie after each workout. Then think about that smoothie, or about the endorphin rush you’ll feel. Allow yourself to anticipate the reward. Eventually, that craving will make it easier to push through the gym doors every day.

Want to craft a new eating habit? When researchers affiliated with the National Weight Control Registry—a project involving more than 6,000 people who have lost more than 30 pounds—looked at the habits of successful dieters, they found that 78 percent of them ate breakfast every morning, a meal cued by a time of day. But most of the successful dieters also envisioned a specific reward for sticking with their diet—a bikini they wanted to wear or the sense of pride they felt when they stepped on the scale each day. They focused on that craving when temptations arose, cultivated it into a mild obsession. And, researchers found, it crowded out temptations.

If you can identify the right cue and reward—and if you can create a sense of craving—you can establish almost any habit.”

(From here: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2012/02/an_excerpt_from_charles_duhigg_s_the_power_of_habit_.html)
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    Set your alarm (obviously). Make sure you go to bed a little earlier. Lay out your kit before you go to bed. When the alarm goes, don't hit snooze, just get straight up. Loo. Dress. Quick drink. And out the door. Don't stop to check mail, read stuff, or in any other way dilly dally. Just tell yourself you mean business, and act as if you do. You'll be fine.

This^^^

I have my gym bag and everything I need for the day packed before going to bed. I get up, empty bladder, get dressed, kiss wife, throw food in the cooler on the way out the door. Alarm to key in ignition time is usually about 10 minutes. My alarm goes off at 0345, if I dont wake up at 0344 and turn it off before it goes off.

IT might help that I am military and have gotten up relatively early a lot during my life, but never this early on a routine basis until recently. Now, on days when I am not going to gym in the morning, I still wake up and feel a little weird!
    I a
  • cafeconleche
    Options
    I use my iPhone as an alarm. When setting the alarm, you can "label" it. I usually. I label mine with something that says "that fat isn't gonna lose itself" or "get this workout over with now, while the kids are still sleeping!" sometimes I also set my wall paper to some inspiring weight loss picture. It helps me, anyways.