SUPERSTITIONS ANYONE?

Options
Hey everyone I live in Georgia now (from NYC). Since I have been here (4yrs) I have picked up so many superstitions.
In NYC if you opened an umbrella up in doors or the black cat crossing your path bad luck, or broken mirror.

Sweep your feet, spit on the broom or your going jail.
Cook black eyed peas and greens on New Years Eve (Good luck and Money)
If your ear is ringing some one is gossiping about you.
You get a cup of first April's rain it cures ailing.:noway:

Whats your Superstitions?

Replies

• Keeshaja
    Keeshaja Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    lol I have heard all that stuff before I think its a south thing ..but is I have to KNOCK ON WOOD if I say something that I dont want to happen shame I know but I always do it ...:indifferent:
  • nray3119
    nray3119 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I knock on wood.
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I was always told that if you sit your purse on the floor you would always be broke (What one has to do with the other I've never quite figured out)...This was drilled into me when I was growing up...

To this day I will do a power dive across the room to catch my purse if someone tries to sit it on the floor!!! LOL :drinker:
  • jules0516
    jules0516 Posts: 158
    Options
    Those are def. southern things...I also throw salt over my shoulder if it spills or if I put too much in my hand while cooking..and you NEVER,EVER step across someone who is laying in the floor (I'm in GA and my family is southern).

Oh, and never count the cars in a funeral procession-but you must always pull over and stop for them (so many people do not do this anymore)
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Sounds silly...but I believe that if I don't get all the money into the till BEFORE the tape stops totalling, something bad will happen that day. I'm a freak.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    If your nose is itching, someones coming over.

Never turn the channel when the Rangers are playing...And sit in the same spot.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I keep a piece of wood in my car so "I can Knock on wood" Can't have bad luck when i'm driving!
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    When i watch hockey i have to sit in the same exact spot on the couch, the same way, with the same jersey on until the other team scores then shift to a different spot!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    When running onto and off of the baseball field, never step on the lines. It's not about keeping them nice -- it's about summoning the wrath of the baseball gods. This applies to softball too.
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I was always told that if you sit your purse on the floor you would always be broke (What one has to do with the other I've never quite figured out)...This was drilled into me when I was growing up...

To this day I will do a power dive across the room to catch my purse if someone tries to sit it on the floor!!! LOL :drinker:

^^^ This lol. Just can't get over it!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Ones I know are...

Never put shoes on the table.
    Never walk under a ladder.
    Never open umbrella indoors.

x
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Nose itching = someone is coming for a visit
    Thunder when snow is on the ground = More snow

If the black cat one is true I'm screwed, three live under my roof!

JM
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

my Grandma and my Dad both said if you treat your money (bills) nicely, you'll always have it. This means you face all the faces the same way and unfold any creases/corners.

Silly.
  • Garys46
    Garys46 Posts: 2
    Options
    The reason you will go broke is because someone will see a purse on the floor and steal it... you should always keep your purse where you can watch it and within reach... never abandon it.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    no carbs after 6
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Nose itching = someone is coming for a visit
    Thunder when snow is on the ground = More snow

If the black cat one is true I'm screwed, three live under my roof!

JM

I was always told that nose itching = you're going to get into a fight
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Oh and if your right palm is itching and you scratch it then you will run into someone you really don't want to see and if the left one is you have money coming your way. Funny thing is my left palm ALWAYS itches before payday as far as the right hand I have never scratched it to find out. Running into someone I don't like could end in jail time and Im all out of sick days for that :bigsmile:
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hat on the bad = bad luck
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    butterflies bring me money
    squirrels bring me dates
    feral cats getting into my building means Im gonna get laid
  • iroze
    iroze Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Never walk forward if a black cat has crossed your path.
    If your left palm is itching, you're going to come into some money, if your right - you'll lose money.
    If you swing a hat around your fist / finger, you're going to get a headache - that is, your head will hurt because the hat is misapplied. (crazy I know)
    If you spot a spider in your home, you'll get a letter.
    Before going somewhere for a lengthy period of time, one must sit down at home - just literally seconds before taking off, so as to leave an imprint of yourself in the house.
    If you are sewing a hole in something you are wearing at the moment, always keep a thread between your teeth.
    If you drop a spoon a woman will come to visit.