bump
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy thanks for the recipe!!
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've made this recipe using Splenda (instead of Sugar)....& added red chili flakes instead of Dill :) Yummy!
  • Adshill
    Adshill Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Bump - sounds delicious!! Thanks!
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I live in the south and hot days when you want a cold recipe that's healthy to eat, I turn to Cucumber salad. It's so yummy! :bigsmile:

Cucumber salad:
    4 cucumbers
    3 tomatos
    1/2-1 small onion
    (Sometimes I also add yellow and orange bellpeppers)
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup white sugar or other sweetener
    1 Tbsp. dried dill or dill seeds (optional-I prefer it without dill but my husband likes it with)
    Dice all veggies and toss together in bowl.
    Combine vinegar, water, and sugar in saucepan over med-high heat. Bring to boil, then let cool and pour over vegetables. Stir in dill to taste, cover and refrigerate .
    Enjoy!!! :flowerforyou:
    My mother made this in the summer when we had barbecues. It is a great dish and loved it! I will have to make me some soon..Mmm. My Mom never used dill but always put fresh chives in it. Thanks for bringing my fond memory back. :smile:

I make something similar to this a lot, I add:

Cucumbers
    Tomatoes
    Bell Peppers
    Onions (usually sweet)
    Olive oil
    Apple Cider Vinegar
    Dry Dill Weed

I like tangy flavors so I don't add sugar, I also don't measure...just do it until it tastes good. :smile:
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Tyedye - has your mom tried eating fresh strawberries when she eats sugar? I read online that one of the nutrients in strawberries MIGHT help diabetics avoid blood sugar spikes if they are eaten along with something that has sugar in it.

Aren't strawberries full of sugar? I mean I understand the whole natural vs. refined thing but I thought diabetics weren't supposed to have sugar of any kind (at least not much of it...)

I'm not diabetic, but it runs in my family and I have friends that are. Yes, they must watch their sugar - all forms - carefully, BUT they can have sugar. Simple sugars that causes spikes in blood sugar levels are the worst (think sugar that's in candy, for example), but they deal better with sugars that occur naturally in foods, such as fruits. The sugar releases more slowly into the body... I don't understand the whole science of it, but basically it takes longer for the body to digest/metabolize the sugar in fruits, for example, because it's combined with other nutrients, fiber, etc. Of course, it's not like a diabetic would be okay eating a whole field of strawberries, either, so quantity plays some role still.

You can go to the American Diabetes Foundation website and find out all sorts of stuff... good info for non-diabetics, too! Most of us could probably curb our sugar intake a bit.
  • bbyegal
    bbyegal Posts: 16
    Options
    Sub in all natural/raw honey for the sugar def not 1/2 a cup. I would say a couple table spoons should do it. I would not suggest splenda...on or in anything.
  • tyedyechick0930
    tyedyechick0930 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all for the sugar substitute ideas. I'm definitely going to look into using stevia if it can be heated! Thanks again y'all. I'm definitely making this for lunches next week.
    I also got a really good recipe I'm going to try this weekend. If it turns out good I'll post separately. But if any of y'all like guacamole and shrimp you would probably love this:
    Mexican Shrimp Salad
    boiled, peeled shrimp
    Tomatoes
    sweet onion
    Avacado
    Lime juice
    Cilantro
    Lil bit of jalepeno
    Chop and mix ingredients...sounds so yummy!
  • Imawonder
    Imawonder Posts: 65
    Options
    bump
  • VirtuousWoman2268
    Options
    Does sound great on a very hot day!
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • gaylelynnmc
    gaylelynnmc Posts: 41
    Options
    This makes me think of when my dad, and just about the only time he would cook, would bbq and make this type of cuke and onion salad...thanks it is awesome and the few calories I get from the sugar won't be hard to take. I just walk and extra half a mile...thanks sweetie for sharing!!
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    Sounds really yummy! Definitely going to try this one.
  • carlisle19
    carlisle19 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love cucumber salad
  • 2monthstogo
    2monthstogo Posts: 23
    Options
    What if you added minced garlic instead of suger? I bet that would be sweet enough. Or even garlic salt.
  • fergie137
    fergie137 Posts: 33
    Options
    bump
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yum!! Definitely have to try this soon!
  • jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I make this but I use Raspberry walnut Vinaigrette instead of sugar and dill. It is so good and you really do not need much of the dressing for the whole thing.