Peanut butter: Good for you or "junk food"....?

Options

Replies

• Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I love it too! :heart:
    I dont think its a junk food as it does not have anything bad in it but yes its high calorie because generally peanuts are high in calories
    but I cant fit it in my Diary everyday although I would LOVEEEEEEE to have it everyday :bigsmile:
    So I treat myself with a yumm toast and peanut butter on some special days when either I lose weight or get some NSV or may be workout 3-4 times in two days :D.. mostly biweekly :D
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Chock a block with omega 6's. That in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing until it gets added to the total amount people are consuming on average.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I love it, have it every day.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with some all-natural peanut butter.

Yes, high in calories - but many other benefits...and sometimes you have to look beyond the calories.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Definitely good for you. I use JIF Natural PB. 2 Tbsps every morning on bread for breakfast.

It's got good fats and protein that keep you full for a while and is good for you.

Don't get that reduced fat stuff. The additives that they put in to make it normal will do more harm than good.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    What do you all think? I'm not really sure how I feel about peanut butter. lol. I don't eat A LOT of it and I have started buying the "natural" peanut butter... which I'm not even sure if that really makes any difference ...? But anyway, I love peanut butter but it's sooo high in calories for such a small serving!

So what do you all think about peanut butter?

If you're not sure if something is good for you, look it up and compare ALL of the ingredients. That will tell you more than anybody's opinions. I do love it but don't eat it as much lately. When I do I eat the Jif low sugar/low sodium.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    making my own.... so easy... so cheap... only ingredients I want to put in
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Peanuts are a healthy food. Grinding them up into peanut butter is a healthy food that can be easily spread or used as a dip. It is high in calories, but as calories go they are calories packed with nutrition. I don't eat a lot of it because of the calories, but it is on my MFP "Most Used" list. Carrot sticks dipped in pb is one of my favorite snacks.
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Love it love it love it love it love it love it love it.
    I eat it daily.
    I want to live on an apple island in the middle of a peanut butter sea.

LOL
  • GEE1241
    GEE1241 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    IN WHOLE FOODS THEY HAVE ONE CALLED BETTER THAN BUTTER.
    IT'S ONLY 100 CALORIES NO TRANS FAT.

I BELIEVE TARGET ALSO CARRIES IT
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I love any NUT Butter (almond, cashew, macadamia) peanut butter is ok
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Life sustaining nectar of the Gods. But maybe I'm the only one who feels that way? ,)
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love peanut butter. If I need a quick something, it's my go to. On occasion I even have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The horror! lol seriously though, don't let calories be the end all in whether you eat it. It has other nutritional value.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I've also switched my kids to this (they get a PB&J for lunch once a week for a treat) and there have been no complaints. A no-salt-added version is also available.

Once a week as a "treat?" So glad you're not my mom...
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I make my own (and hate every other "natural" brand now) and eat it every morning in my oatmeal. NOM!
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I use natural Smuckers. Ingredients: peanuts.

I only eat lean meats so most of my fats come from peanut butter or almonds. Some times flax seeds.
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    Love it love it love it love it love it love it love it.
    I eat it daily.
    I want to live on an apple island in the middle of a peanut butter sea.

omg me tooo
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    it is super high in calories.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    It's tasty, and not bad for you. I prefer the natural, like most people here seem to think.
    It must be measured, which can be problematic getting all of it out of the measuring spoon.
    Helpful hint: lick the spoon. Nobody will judge you for it.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    i love peanut butter- i don't fit it in every day but a serving of peanut butter and a banana after a good run mmmmmmmm