Peanut butter: Good for you or "junk food"....?

Options

Replies

• juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I love it, especially a tbps on a warm whole wheat waffle with 5 chocolate chips. But, new allergy. Allergic to peanuts, I knew I was allergic to tree nuts, but now that too. :( So nuts of any kind here.
  • lcarr60
    lcarr60 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love Peanut Butter! I need a FIX of it everyday. In fact, I am diabetic and the nutritionalist stated it was a good idea to have a small amount each day due to the high protein value. The moral of any story is "DO IT IN MODERATION" - Of course, you cannot eat the whole jar! (Although I find that very pleasing to think about). Like the person stated above sometimes you cannot just look at calories alone! Just eat it - it is definitely NOT JUNK FOOD. Keep trying to eat the more natural ingredient type or low sugar - either way it is a MUST for anyone who loves peanut butter to keep it in your diet at some level!
    :laugh:
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Nothing better than peanutbutter melting in hot toasted wholemeal bread drooler.gif
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a very common food in the UK - you can get it of course but it's not a staple food the way it seems to be over in the US. I tried some once out of curiosity and thought it was about the most replusive thing ever, but now I'm thinking perhaps I should give it another go!
  • claudublin
    claudublin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Love peanut butter! it's really healthy, as long as you don't buy the stuff that has other oils, sugar, sweeteners etc added. in ireland kelkin do a good one, and 'whole earth' is nice, too. always read the label!
    If you're not sure about the taste, buy the one with a bit of salt added, it's the yummiest. or try it, for a treat, on toast, combined with nutella, for the snickers effect! Not so healthy then, of course.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Love it love it love it love it love it love it love it.
    I eat it daily.
    I want to live on an apple island in the middle of a peanut butter sea.

THIS, oh soooo THIS. Peanut butter ROCKS. Almond Butter ROCKS right along side with it as only a slighly less loved cousin. REAL nut butter. No pulverized, defatted peanut dust. You know NUTS - ground up made into butter. No other ingredients. It's good stuff. Healthy fat. Decent protein. Keeps me satisifed ...

Snap! Are we still talking about peanut butter? Oh yea. LOVE IT!
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm really picky about peanut butter... obsessively in love with Peter Pan creamy ONLY. We bought Wegmans store brand low-fat creamy and it is so... sticky.. I've heard of PB2....

Are there any good natural peanut butters that are creamy, smooth and not so sticky (like can barely swallow it)?
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter too, but the calories did not fit into my diet... so one of my MFP friends turned me on to a product called PB2. This is the best. It is peanut butter powder that you mix yourself. It only has 3 ingredients, roasted peanuts, sugar, and salt. It only has 45 calories in a 2 tbsp serving vs. peanut butter that has 180 calories for the same amount. Seriously, try it. You can order it off Amazon or direct from the mfg or look at your local health food stores. Once you try it, you will never go back!

^^This. You can also order it on netrition.com for $3.99 and they have lots of other products. $4.95 flat shipping.
  • tanyaleighcummings
    Options
    I eat Adam's all natural, no salt PB. At least once a day and more when I am craving proteins. Only twice have I managed to eat more calories than my goal so the calories are not as much of a concern for me as sodium. Hard to eat too many calories if you keep your sodium under 1500 mg.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a very common food in the UK - you can get it of course but it's not a staple food the way it seems to be over in the US. I tried some once out of curiosity and thought it was about the most replusive thing ever, but now I'm thinking perhaps I should give it another go!

LOL. I don't think it's repulsive but I don't understand the obsession (I live in the US).

Where is Suffolk are you? I was born in Ipswich.
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Good for you. As are all nut and seed butters in correct proportion. However if you want the best nutrition, make it yourself. I do. Yum.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options

PB is one of the most amazing foods ever! :D Try a peanut butter&banana sandwich...yum.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I love any NUT Butter (almond, cashew, macadamia) peanut butter is ok

Cachew butter is quite possibly the yummiest thing on the planet. I bought Almond Butter because I remembered it being so tasty but it tasted only as good as Natural Peanut butter which while good isn't Cachew butter good. I really thought I bought it originally at Trader Joes but they only had PB and Almond. Where DID I get the cachew.....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I eat it every day and I'm not giving it up. I like almond butter, but it doesn't taste the same.
  • katwoman926
    Options
    It's about time someone mentioned the protien that is in it. Just like with any other food, moderation is key
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    Get peanut butter that doesn't have a ton of ingredients.
    ideally the label should say

ingredients: peanuts

This. It is high in fats but typically good ones so it still helps you feel full. Peanut butter and banana sandwich is great after a workout.

Sometimes PB&banana on whole wheat toast is my breakfast! :) I also love a banana, pb, and chocolate protein shake.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I've also switched my kids to this (they get a PB&J for lunch once a week for a treat) and there have been no complaints. A no-salt-added version is also available.

Once a week as a "treat?" So glad you're not my mom...

That's not very nice

Neither is denying your kids PB&J! :bigsmile:
  • jmpetros
    jmpetros Posts: 10
    Options
    I love that image loll! Apple island Pb sea
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter too, but the calories did not fit into my diet... so one of my MFP friends turned me on to a product called PB2. This is the best. It is peanut butter powder that you mix yourself. It only has 3 ingredients, roasted peanuts, sugar, and salt. It only has 45 calories in a 2 tbsp serving vs. peanut butter that has 180 calories for the same amount. Seriously, try it. You can order it off Amazon or direct from the mfg or look at your local health food stores. Once you try it, you will never go back!

WHY are you on a diet? Seriously. Diets don't work. Go on a DIET, go off a DIET. It's LIFE. Gotta find food, exercise that you love, that works for LIFE. LIfestyle change. If you like peanut butter - have peanut butter. Make it work.

Before I rant about PB2, I will apologize in advance, but I really truly cannot control it ..... all my friends know it makes me crazy.

I eat PB for the PB itself - NOT for the TASTE/FLAVOR of peanut butter. WHich is what you are getting with pulverzied, defatted peanut dust with salt and sugar added that you mix with water. Nut butters have healthy fats and good protein - is a satisfying "fuels your tank" kind of food.

OK .. rant over.

Peace :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've also switched my kids to this (they get a PB&J for lunch once a week for a treat) and there have been no complaints. A no-salt-added version is also available.

Once a week as a "treat?" So glad you're not my mom...

That's not very nice

Neither is denying your kids PB&J! :bigsmile:

I bet they never get peanut butter and fluff on white bread, either. :frown: