Peanut butter: Good for you or "junk food"....?

Options

Replies

• dsearle67
    dsearle67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ever try PB2? It is powdered peanut butter and has 85% less fat! I love peanut butter too, and this is a fantastic substitute for the high fat regular! Try it!
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I miss PB. Randomly discovered I'm actually allergic to peanuts. Switched to soy butter. Just not the same, but less sugar.
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Lissette_Brooks Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've also switched my kids to this (they get a PB&J for lunch once a week for a treat) and there have been no complaints. A no-salt-added version is also available.

Once a week as a "treat?" So glad you're not my mom...

That's not very nice

Getting the kiddo's used to eating healthy before they develope a weight problem isn't a bad thing. I wish my mom was more aware of the benefits of eating right, maybe then I wouldn't have been another Amercian child sufforing from obesity. lol
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't consider it junk. I don't put "junk" in my protein shakes and I put peanut butter in them. :-)
  • amy12321
    amy12321 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    "You put too much peanut butter on that"
    - No one, Ever
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    .....it's sooo high in calories for such a small serving!

That's my issue, so I stay away from it even though I like it. It's not going to fill me up and it's a crap load of calories.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I like it, I love it, I want some more of it.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have an apple with two tablespoons of peanut butter almost every night. I've lost 22 lbs and 3 pant sizes
  • sarasmile144
    sarasmile144 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    it is super high in calories. I only eat it when I need alot of energy and I know I am going to be burning it off -something extra strenuous - not just normal exercising -like an all day hike or kayak trip - i pack it and some multi-grain Wasa Crisbread crackers (45 cal for one huge slice) tastes like a cracker -
    Ever try Nutella?? or Flaxseed Butter??
    Nuttella is still 100 calories per Tbsp, just like peanut butter?
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter too, but the calories did not fit into my diet... so one of my MFP friends turned me on to a product called PB2. This is the best. It is peanut butter powder that you mix yourself. It only has 3 ingredients, roasted peanuts, sugar, and salt. It only has 45 calories in a 2 tbsp serving vs. peanut butter that has 180 calories for the same amount. Seriously, try it. You can order it off Amazon or direct from the mfg or look at your local health food stores. Once you try it, you will never go back!

WHY are you on a diet? Seriously. Diets don't work. Go on a DIET, go off a DIET. It's LIFE. Gotta find food, exercise that you love, that works for LIFE. LIfestyle change. If you like peanut butter - have peanut butter. Make it work.

Before I rant about PB2, I will apologize in advance, but I really truly cannot control it ..... all my friends know it makes me crazy.

I eat PB for the PB itself - NOT for the TASTE/FLAVOR of peanut butter. WHich is what you are getting with pulverzied, defatted peanut dust with salt and sugar added that you mix with water. Nut butters have healthy fats and good protein - is a satisfying "fuels your tank" kind of food.

OK .. rant over.

Peace :)

Everyone has a diet. She didn't say she was ON a diet. And PB2 still has 5g of protein (2g less than full fat PB). IF she's already getting sufficient fat from other things in her diet, what is wrong with eating PB2 which has less calories?
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I depends if you eat the kind with added sugar and tons of crap. thats not good for you. peanutbutter that is really just peanuts ? good for you.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Get the natural kind and you're golden....good source of calories and some good fat. Eat it, live it, love it!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't get the *kitten* with trans-fats I would consider it healthy. Most brand name peanut butter has trans-fats and a bunch of additive. Try looking for ones where ingredients are just peanuts, to get the healthiest version.

Which brands have you seen with trans fats ?
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't get the *kitten* with trans-fats I would consider it healthy. Most brand name peanut butter has trans-fats and a bunch of additive. Try looking for ones where ingredients are just peanuts, to get the healthiest version.

If a product says "hydrogenated" then it has trans fats from what I understand.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I couldn't tell you off the top of my head, but I've seen it. It isn't the brand, exactly.The "natural" versions of the major brands don't have it. They have peanuts, sugar, salt and oil (not hydrogenated). A lot of their non-natural versions have HFCS and trans fats, though.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Adam's All Natural Peanut Butter

It has ONE ingredient..........PEANUTS

Can't go wrong there!
  • gleechick609
    gleechick609 Posts: 551
    Options
    Love It, Need It, I have it almost everyday.

This x 200000000000000000000000000000000
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    ALMOND BUTTER!!!!

It taste better and is more nutritious. I like Peanut butter too though.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    ALMOND BUTTER!!!!

It taste better

To you.

And I implore you to actually compare the nutrition labels someday.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options

I couldn't tell you off the top of my head, but I've seen it. It isn't the brand, exactly.The "natural" versions of the major brands don't have it. They have peanuts, sugar, salt and oil (not hydrogenated). A lot of their non-natural versions have HFCS and trans fats, though.

Natural is better. The ingredients usually say: Peanuts.

Look at the ingredients. If it says partially hydrogenated oil, it has it.... And it can still say "No trans fats" on the package if it contains less than 0.5g. So, if it has 0.49 grams of trans fat, it can say no trans fat. And then you eat several servings of several foods like this and get several grams a day. I just stay away from all processed foods when I can because you never know. Ugh..... so difficult!