Peanut butter: Good for you or "junk food"....?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've tried natural peanut butter, and I hate to say it, but without the added salt it just doesn't taste right. I don't eat a lot of peanut butter because of the high fat content, but when I do I want that specific taste, so I usually grab the plain old jar of Jiff.

I notice it doesn't have any trans fats, but it does have "Fully Hydrogenated Oil." I've never heard that term before.

Fully hydrogenated oil is trans fat.

Apparently it's a saturated fat rather than a trans-fat. Supposedly, fully-hydrogenated oils are converted by the body into monounsaturated fats, making it less harmful that partially hydrogenated oil. Of course it's still not a natural unsaturated fat, but I'll take it unless I can find a natural PB I like.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've tried natural peanut butter, and I hate to say it, but without the added salt it just doesn't taste right. I don't eat a lot of peanut butter because of the high fat content, but when I do I want that specific taste, so I usually grab the plain old jar of Jiff.

I notice it doesn't have any trans fats, but it does have "Fully Hydrogenated Oil." I've never heard that term before.

Apparently it's a saturated fat rather than a trans-fat. Supposedly, fully-hydrogenated oils are converted by the body into monounsaturated fats, making it less harmful that partially hydrogenated oil. Of course it's still not a natural unsaturated fat, but I'll take it unless I can find a natural PB I like.
    Have you tried Jif natural or Simply Jif?
  • Rayndancer51
    Options
    Bumpity-Bump :flowerforyou:
  • Feddyvon
    Feddyvon Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Question: If you get the fresh ground peanut or almond butter from Whole Foods, do you have to refrigerate it?

I've been using the Reduced Fat Jif, but this thread has proven that I need to make a change there.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I could give or take peanut butter. I use it as a treat if I have some extra calories in the evening and feel like dipping my quakes in something or want some on my ice cream. It is not a normal part of my diet. I've recently bought a jar of almond butter as i've heard that it's better for you as it has a higher balance for it's fatty acids and something about less mold or something.

It's not actually a "really good source" or protein, it's a really inefficient source of protein (as in you have to eat many many more calories in protein than calorie for calorie with meats). It's tasty, but I don't see any real health benefits.
  • deniselynn13
    deniselynn13 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Not junk, but there are other nut butters that are considered "better."

Most peanut butters have a lot of added crap, including sugar, so the fewer ingredients you can get, the better. Bonus points if you make it yourself. :smile:

However, things like almond butter are considered better for you, because they're "pure" nuts (peanuts are considered a legume, from what I've seen) and have more nutrients and protein for fewer calories per serving.

I couldn't agree more with what you said!! I make all nut butter myself. This way you aren't getting anything processed and are incomplete control of the added sugars, fillers, etc. All in all they are a great source of healthy fats and protein. You just need to make sure you eat in moderation!
  • rima933
    rima933 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Did you know Nutella is getting sued? I saw it on the news the other day...I have never tried it but I guess I will be just fine sticking to good ol' fashioned Peanut Butter :happy:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_momsatwork/2012/05/nutella-isnt-healthy-lawsuit-concludes-the-marriage-of-sugar-and-fat-rarely-is.html

Haha i saw that too! Its funny because that happened the same day that I decided to buy a jar and finally try it because the commercial says its healthy with a touch of coco and some milk and hazelnuts.
  • rml_16
    Options

Did you know Nutella is getting sued? I saw it on the news the other day...I have never tried it but I guess I will be just fine sticking to good ol' fashioned Peanut Butter :happy:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_momsatwork/2012/05/nutella-isnt-healthy-lawsuit-concludes-the-marriage-of-sugar-and-fat-rarely-is.html

Haha i saw that too! Its funny because that happened the same day that I decided to buy a jar and finally try it because the commercial says its healthy with a touch of coco and some milk and hazelnuts.

Actually, the commercial doesn't say that. It comes across that way, but when this story came out and they played the commercial on the news, I really listened to it and it does not say Nutella itself is healthy. It says it's a "good way" to get your family to eat whole grains by spreading it on whole wheat bread.

Anyway, I tried it once and it tasted like plastic.
  • DanTTX
    DanTTX Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Reads!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

I tried Jiff Natural, I think it was, didn't care for the bland taste. I'll pick up a jar of Simply Jiff next time.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

No, only when a vegetable oil is partially and not fully hydrogenized does it become a trans fat. Fully hydrogenized is also rock solid and basically not used in the food industry.
  • mcknz121
    mcknz121 Posts: 44
    Options
    Life sustaining nectar of the Gods. But maybe I'm the only one who feels that way? ,)

^^^LOL this!
  • mcknz121
    mcknz121 Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm really picky about peanut butter... obsessively in love with Peter Pan creamy ONLY. We bought Wegmans store brand low-fat creamy and it is so... sticky.. I've heard of PB2....

Are there any good natural peanut butters that are creamy, smooth and not so sticky (like can barely swallow it)?

try Crazy Richard's brand creamy peanut butter. it's all natural (just peanuts, no additives like Peter Pan) and it tastes just like skippy or jiff once you stir in the oil...has a great texture especially if u keep it in the fridge. Im a PB connoisseur so trust me on this one. Not sure if they sell it nationally...I get it at Shoppers Food Warehouse
  • rml_16
    Options

I tried Jiff Natural, I think it was, didn't care for the bland taste. I'll pick up a jar of Simply Jiff next time.

Also try Skippy Natural. I've never had a better peanut butter, but then people who prefer the Jif don't always like it, so it's a gamble.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Teddie's natural with flaxseed is the shiznit
  • IHeartNewMe
    IHeartNewMe Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's a sensitive subject! LOL!
  • socalgirl68
    socalgirl68 Posts: 85
    Options
    Wellllllll since it isn't a nut, i don't eat it. (paleo girl :wink: )
    However, before I became paleo, I ate peanut butter all the time. :love: LOVED it! That was the problem. I got PB that only had peanuts in it. Good for you right? But if you love peanut butter you need self control!! I bought a regular size jar and finished it in two days with just me eating it! :ohwell: it was not good. :cry:

Basically, peanut butter is just like any other food, too much is NOT a good thing! :bigsmile:
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Get peanut butter that doesn't have a ton of ingredients.
    ideally the label should say

ingredients: peanuts

Agreed. I try to get raw, organic, natural or something like that. My husband likes his PB. I don't like it though, so I get raw almond butter...mmm , cashew butter, sunflower butter anything like that is good for me.