Started weight lifting with no change...now what???

Options
2»

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Why are you so focused on weight loss or gain. You started lifting? How much did you lift? Next time, lift 5-10 lbs more. If you can do that, you are making positive progress.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    squats, deadlifts and compound exercises should help
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I have lost 161 lbs over the last 18 months and have 15 more that I need to lose.

I plateaued in January and feel as if I have tried everything to get the scale and tape measure to more again with no luck!

I have increased cardio, added strength training 3 days/wk, increased calories, increased protein, decrease sodium, decreased carbs.

And NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has budged. I haven't lost or gained. I have flutuated between the same 2-3 lbs every day for the last 4 months.

S-o-o-o-o-o frustrating!

The only thing I haven't tried is intermittent fasting and I am considering that even though I know people will bash me for starving myself. Don't know what else to do.

I was in the exact same situation. Except my plateau got up to almost 2 years. I dropped cardio. Started IF but not on a regular schedule. Started doing circuit training, deadlifting and heavy lifting in general and finally it started happening. Cardio was effig it all up for me.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS on losing the 160, what a great inspiration you are!

Those last 10-15lbs are a b@#$% for everyone... just keep at it, tweak the calories up or down, after the change give yourself about six weeks and see if there's a difference. Lift heavier (gradually) and keep exercising and you'll see results, sometimes you have to toggle different aspects of your plan, test it, rinse, repeat...
  • free2live72003
    Options
    What exactly is included in circuit training--I've heard the term but not sure I really know what that encompasses????
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I have lost 161 lbs over the last 18 months and have 15 more that I need to lose.

I plateaued in January and feel as if I have tried everything to get the scale and tape measure to more again with no luck!

I have increased cardio, added strength training 3 days/wk, increased calories, increased protein, decrease sodium, decreased carbs.

And NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has budged. I haven't lost or gained. I have flutuated between the same 2-3 lbs every day for the last 4 months.

S-o-o-o-o-o frustrating!

The only thing I haven't tried is intermittent fasting and I am considering that even though I know people will bash me for starving myself. Don't know what else to do.
    If you make your diet public we might have a better idea, I don't think you are doing what you think your doing of you wouldn't be plateauing.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have not gone through all the replies.

Have you checked any body measurements?

It might be that the addition of strength training is slowly re-defining your body and that the addition of muscle is just in pace with the loss of any fat.

Also, it seems that the last few lbs are always the hardest to lose. I think that it has something to do with the % change in weight. Easier to lose small %. As we approach our "goal" weight our percentages change?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    What exactly is included in circuit training--I've heard the term but not sure I really know what that encompasses????

choose free weights or machines or your favorite combo.

Put enough weight that you can do about 4 sets of 8-10 with each set getting harder but the first two comfortable-ish. Dont wait long between sets and dont wait at all between machines/changing moves. It gets your heart rate up while allowing you to also get the benefits of strength training. I do this on my light days at the gym when Im not going to be doing any heavy lifting. Or I do it at home with body weight exercises, which you can also throw into the mix at the gym (which is extra awesome- especially if you are also throwing stuff in like 30-50 jumping jacks between a move here and there.)

I also do a kind of circuit with my heavy lifting, but I only pick 3-5 moves for the day, otherwise I will be wiped out in 30 minutes.
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My weight has increased a few pounds over the last several months since starting to do more weights and less cardio. When I measured the other day, my measurements were up from the last time I measured in October, but I FEEL smaller and my clothes fit looser than they did. I know that my body is recomposing (is that the right word?) itself. I can tell that my butt is a little tighter and perkier, but not where I measure. This allows my pants to all fit better than they did before. Yes, I still want to see the scales and the tape measure decrease in size, but as long as my clothes are fitting better, I'll keep at it knowing that eventually, they'll catch up.
  • free2live72003
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions--I gotta get off the computer now.

But, i will press on and give some of your suggestions a try.

I appreciate your time and advice.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    My weight has increased a few pounds over the last several months since starting to do more weights and less cardio. When I measured the other day, my measurements were up from the last time I measured in October, but I FEEL smaller and my clothes fit looser than they did. I know that my body is recomposing (is that the right word?) itself. I can tell that my butt is a little tighter and perkier, but not where I measure. This allows my pants to all fit better than they did before. Yes, I still want to see the scales and the tape measure decrease in size, but as long as my clothes are fitting better, I'll keep at it knowing that eventually, they'll catch up.

This! Also, I agree with your trainer, 5 weeks is too short a window to judge strength training progress. I'd really suggest that, after dropping all the excess weight you you focus not on weight but in building muscle and losing fat (body recomp) as suggested above. If you are lean and look great, who cares what you weigh?
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I am working with a personal trainer every M-W-F for 30-45 min each session. Been doing this for 5 weeks.

I am 52 years old, so no young chick.

We alternate days doing upper body and core one day, the lower body and core the next day.

My personal trainer started me out light with one set of each exercise at 8-10 reps to just see what I was capable of.

Now lifting 2 sets of 15 reps upping weights periodically to failure at 8-10 reps.

Progressing reasonably I think given my age and well worn joints.

Just can't believe that with this much effort I am not seeing some kind of results on scale or tape measure.

Everything i have read made me think that this was the one component that I really needed to add and that I would begin to see results fairly soon.

I don't get it??????

First of all, age is irrelevant if you are using proper form. I took a 72 year old woman who had never been in the gym and trained her to be able to be a body builder. Unless you have a physical limitation because of injury or illness, you can still lift heavy.

Second, you aren't lifting heavy enough. If you can do 15 reps per set, it's an endurance exercise not a strength exercise. Up your weight (or tell your trainer to up your weight) so that you can barely complete the 5th or 6th rep with proper form. Rest 1-3 minutes between sets. Do your cardio after your weight training (but not as long). Then WAIT 6 WEEKS before weighing again.