Options

Replies

• syntax_terror
    Options
    BMI IS BULL****.
  • echandle12
    echandle12 Posts: 82
    Options
    You felt great before you checked the BMI, right? So why let a number tell you how you should feel? 70 pounds is a HUGE accomplishment. I wish I was at the lost 70 lbs mark, but I am not. I feel great, I can do regular pushups, I can get through a hour long workout with my trainer and still function the rest of the day and the next. I am stronger than I have been in years and so are you. Buck up, tomorrows another day to work on your "goal". Enjoy what you have done, and guess what, Your husband probably thinks he won the lottery every time he is with you.
  • EowynWard
    EowynWard Posts: 9
    Options
    do not let that number get you down! just think of where you were before compared to where you are now! you have done so well, do not panic about a number, if you look good and feel great then you are solidly doing well!!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I say cry, kick, scream, pout and move on. This is a life long journey, you will get there. It has taken me 4 years to get where I am now. I have shed a few tears and a heck of a lot of sweat along the way, the most important thing is I do not give up and now my life is about how I feel, not how I look.

It will happen, you will get there, the most important fact is, you are doing it.

Congrats on the loss, now go do it some more.
  • laurakjaworski
    Options
    we all have days where the tears fall down becuase of our weight, but when i read your story, you should feel so proud of yourself, down 70 pounds since last jan is amazing, i cant wait till i can say that, i have just started my weight loss (2.5 months) and when i read motivational stories and support threads it makes me light up inside knowing that there are so many strong individuals LIKE YOU who have accomplished soooo much. try not to cry sad or angry tears for one day because the bmi tells you that you are overweight, smile and think postiive happy thoughts because last year at this time you were 70 pounds heavier and im going to guess that you were crying sad tears and feeling low for more than just one day. Look in the mirror, see how much you have achieved, and see that you are an insipration to a lot of people on her, including myself :)
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    What has changed since you looked up your bmi? Just your knowledge of what it says.

Nothing else has changed, don't let that knowledge change how you feel about yourself and your accomplishments. It does not take away how much better you feel since losing the weight. You still lost 70 pounds, you are much healthier, and look much better.

I say take it with a grain of salt. It does not determine if you are healthy or not.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    After losing 115 lbs I'm still obese. Not over weight. Obese.
    When I realized that ny jaw kind of dropped.
    Though you might feel bummed-just remember how far you have come. Besides bmi isn't necessarily a good measure. Think of a buddy builder. They often have a bmi in the over weight range.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    BMI is just a number. You can be overweight and still healthy! And by the sound of it you're living a very healthy lifestyle, and you look awesome in your pic. Don't let that number get you down. You are better than a stupid chart!!!
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    >>I've put so much work into losing weight. I've passed up so many desserts, fast food restaurants,
    >>and tempting moments to get where I am today. I am 70 pounds lighter than I was in January 2011.
    >>Fabulous...right?? One would think so.

Damn right -- I think so!! You've shown you can resist temptation and lose a ton of weight! Congrats!

>>>...my heart sinks into my stomach. My BMI is 27 and I am still in the OVERWEIGHT range. Are you kidding me???

That does suck...you're right! But you've shown how powerful, motivated, and capable you are -- so if that's an important goal then keep going! I'm going to disagree with all the people who say that BMI is crap and you should ignore it. That sounds like a lot of people giving you an excuse to ignore the number. But I TOTALLY agree It's up to you. BMI is one metric that may or may not be useful for your weight goals. If you have it as a goal, then use the feeling you've got to motivate you and push you to achieve that final stretch of weight loss!

If you decide to push to being in the Normal BMI range, remember that you CAN do it, because you've already shown how strong and capable you are!
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    BMI is a tool used by insurance companies to get out of providing people with benefits. Of course it's going to be skewed.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've put so much work into losing weight. I've passed up so many desserts, fast food restaurants, and tempting moments to get where I am today. I am 70 pounds lighter than I was in January 2011. Fabulous...right?? One would think so. However as I was feeling so proud and happy with myself a few days ago, I decide to check my BMI because I was positive it would tell me something wonderful such as "melanie you are amazingly healthy, all that hard work has paid off and your number BMI is 24" Ok... maybe just a number would have appeared. So guess what??? I type in my height... my weight and then my heart sinks into my stomach. My BMI is 27 and I am still in the OVERWEIGHT range. Are you kidding me??? Here I am prancing around through the world feeling sexy and fit, but I was wrong. I probably looked like a fool everytime I wore something fitting, or bragged about losing so much weight. People probably thought I was full of ****.
    so what's 15 pounds...right? WRONG. It doesn't matter if it's 15 pounds or 100 pounds. Being overweight sucks. I can't think of another word right now to describe it besides IT SUCKS!!!
    AM I feeling sorry for myself right now and making big deal out of nothing? Probably.. some might think so but to me it's something. Im upset that i'm not as far as i thought i was. I'm upset that I'm letting 15 pounds ruin my day, and obviously bringing my mood down. My depressed mood is obvious to everyone. My husband has been asking me what's wrong, I don't want him to touch me or even look at me. He is super supportive. He tells me I'm beautiful and I look amazing, which by the way he also did even when I was 218 pounds! What's wrong with me??? I need to snap out of it. easier said than done.

Do not check your BMI...it was NEVER meant to be used that way! Do you feel good? Are you looking like you want to look, all your numbers in a healthy range? Yeah- then throw that BMI out the window it is bull****!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Once, at a doctor's office, a nurse saw me looking at a BMI chart. She said "Oh honey, don't look at that. It tells everyone they're obese. I don't know why anyone goes by that anymore."

And it's true. Recently I saw someone post a picture of Arnold Schwarzenegger is his body-building PRIME---and the caption was "according to BMI, he's obese."

The shock of not seeing what you expected is understandably disappointing. But it doesn't change the fact that you still DID lose a lot of weight! You're in smaller clothes! You felt good about yourself! A number based on some generic formula doesn't change what happened to you as an individual person with your own height, bone structure, muscle-fat ratio, health, etc.

Plus, think about it- if someone you knew lost a lot of weight and they were looking pretty good, and then they told you "well, my BMI is 27," would you suddenly think "well, then I take back all the compliments I gave you?" Probably not...so don't do that to yourself :)
  • dleyde1
    dleyde1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Well let me just say that i just looked at your photos--and man! what an inspiration you are! 70lbs is something to be so proud of! you are a rock star! We will never be happy if we try to fit into a mold that someone else tells us we should be. You should be happy with you awsome achivements and i think you are beautiful.....
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is solidly in the "overweight" BMI category.

As I chatted with my doctor about losing weight, I mentioned a goal size, and she thinks I should focus on that "healthy BMI" number (well it isn't too serious, as I am healthy at the moment.) Anyway, knowing how I carry weight and my past measurements, I'll be at my goal size a lot sooner than I'd ever reach that "healthy BMI" number.

I am about 90% sure, getting to "healthy" isn't healthy for me, since my most estimates of body fat %, healthy = my lean body mass.

Focus on looking the way you want, and getting your body fat percentage in a healthy range, and that is enough!
    **** if you want to get a sense of what other people look like at your height and weight, visit mybodygallery.com. The results may shock you.

As everyone else mentioned, it is a good indicator for some and a poor one for others.
  • hishappy
    hishappy Posts: 11
    Options
    you've lost 70lbs...........that is an amazing achievement!!! Please keep smiling and feel proud......do not let that BMI figure get you down, take the advice from all the wonderful people on here and feel proud .............
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    BMI sucks, don't let a number belittle your achievements.
    Mine is 27 and while I know I could still afford to lose a few kilos, I feel great!

I feel like a normal person not an overweight person, I can go into a shop and fit into just about any size 12 (what's that... US 8 maybe?), I can walk and run without getting out of breath in 2 seconds, my husband and friends have told me I'm looking amazing, I've put on a few kg but I'm back on track now... and even so I can still fit into my size 10/12 pants.

You have done well. Fullstop.

Now, stop crying, give your husband a hug, put on a new outfit that makes you feel good and dance around in front of the mirror for a while!
  • IrishMinx32
    IrishMinx32 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's all about how u feel. Throw the damn scale out the window!!! 70 lbs is HUGE!!!! Way to Go!!! And an applause to the hubby too. xx
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You have done amazing, you only need to lose around 21% of what you have already lost so far to get into the 'healthy' range. You are correct to be proud of your achievement so far and the finish line is in site, so don't be despondent, keep at it and you will get there.

Good luck A :)
  • katedesaccord
    Options
    You know what? You've lost 70 pounds, that's AMAZING! You look great and no one or nothing can say otherwise! Like others have said, just try to think about what you've accomplished because you're really an inspiration to me. Can't say anything else except cheer up buttercup!
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    honey, 70 lbs is an amazing accomplishment. What matters is what you see on the mirror if you look soo much thinner than you were (and i see a huge difference with 70lbs off based on your photo) then you should be happy. Im trying to lose 80lbs and just started. So pick yourself up and dont cry, forget what the BMI says for now, and think about what youve accomplished :)

BTW, you look amazing :)