What made you decide to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was tired of avoiding posting pictures on fb and wanted to get back to wearing whatever I wanted from where ever I wanted. I also want to start wearing cute dresses and feel confident about myself. When I was younger I was known for being athletic and muscular. I want that look again.
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I hated the way I looked and my weight was ridiculous, I could ignore it for the most part until I started seeing photo's of myself bulging out, I told myself that my weight would never be higher than it was that day and I started from there, also from a slightly petty point of view even after losing almost 2 stone I'm still 4 stone heavier than my boyfriend grrr!
  • cjbennett2012
    cjbennett2012 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Having a BMI that was well into 'Overweight' and the worry of developing a hereditary heart condition from my dad's side
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I decided I wanted to be in the best shape ever before I turn 35. And I am hoping this helps me with my hypothyroid symptoms. I am pretty healthy from a blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure perspective.

Re: the old habits?
    I had a head start, I started eating clean a while ago. Gradually improving my eating habits since age 24. I have been about 75% clean for about 7 years now. So my challenge is focusing on portion control, exercise, and desserts. :D This also means I am a firm believer in calories in and out. I cut out soda and most processed food a long time ago, and it didn't change anything on the scale.

I also have some goals for speed and strength. I'd like to be able to do full pushups and a couple of pull ups. And like most people, I don't really like my belly. I was also sick of being in what I like to call clothing size purgatory. I've been hovering at the edge of plus and regular since high school (sizes from 14-18). So clothing shopping has always been a bit annoying for me, since the plus clothes weren't my style and don't fit well and not all the regular stores quite fit as well.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    too many clothes in the closet that I couldn't fit vs those that I could fit LOL!!! Also I just decided to do it for "me"; I desire to feel better, look better, and be around a long time to enjoy my children and grand dtr
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    we won a sailboat race and I couldnt prove it because I couldnt bear to show anyone my pictures.

that horrid feeling combined with the most beautiful strongest day of my life proved to me that my mind, heart and personality were not in the right body.

Too much of a disconnect.
    Had to repair ASAP.
  • emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    in 2011 i decided to start trying to lose weight because i had to buy a pair of size 13 jeans and i just wasnt ok with that. also because i hated how my body felt. that time around i lost 15 lbs and then felt good enough.
    in January of this year when i decided to start trying again it was honestly because i was bored and needed something to do so i started working out and then i really got into it when i started to see a difference and now i am reaching goals and doing things i never thought i would do.
  • chloeraesmommy
    Options
    I went to the doc bc i started having panic attacks...i got on the scale and saw i was heavier now then i was at 9 months pregnant...anyhow she didnt put me on meds more discussed loosing weight...after i left the second dr appt...i cried in my car...my aha moment...i wont feel better until i loose weight...i said im gonna fix myself..i dont have a choice. Im tired of looking like this..not wanting to go anywhere do anything bc of what ppl will think of me. I want to take pics with my daughter...i want ppl to be able to post pics on fb and me not freak out and untag myself. I want to be happy. I deserve this. Ive never been a healthy weight since i was a toddler...i will see skinny healthy me....might take me a year or two but im gonna do it!
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My self esteem was so low that I was taking it out on everyone around me. I was lashing out at everyone because I wasn’t happy with myself. Now I’m down almost 20 pounds and an additional 6 pounds from actively using MFP and I feel great. My self esteem is better and I’m overall happier. Now I don’t make all the people who love me miserable.
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    1) Had a customer coming in from out of town to visit at work so I needed to dress nice. Pulled my black dress pants out to iron the night before thank goodness I had the insite to try them on and I could not get them pulled up all the way much less buttoned. So I rush out late at night to purchase black pants and tried on the next size up and they were too tight, ok finally 3 sizes up and have made it into the plus sizes a pair of black pants that fit- but my stomach pooch looks horrible and bloated so back to the plus size section to purchase a long shirt to hide the belly pooch (YUCK!)

2) Go to Dr. about weight and my blood pressure is through the roof.
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    1) Had a customer coming in from out of town to visit at work so I needed to dress nice. Pulled my black dress pants out to iron the night before thank goodness I had the insite to try them on and I could not get them pulled up all the way much less buttoned. So I rush out late at night to purchase black pants and tried on the next size up and they were too tight, ok finally 3 sizes up and have made it into the plus sizes a pair of black pants that fit- but my stomach pooch looks horrible and bloated so back to the plus size section to purchase a long shirt to hide the belly pooch (YUCK!)

2) Go to Dr. about weight and my blood pressure is through the roof.

I am saving those hideous black pants for my after pic. or in case I need to pitch a tent, lol!
  • Fat_Lenny
    Fat_Lenny Posts: 38
    Options
    My Mum has Familial Hypercholesterolaemia (a mouthful I know!) It's genetically inherited high cholesterol that no amount of exercise or diet change will reduce, and having it increases the risk of heart disease and strokes at a young age, (she's had mini-strokes herself) so now she has to take statins. She was told there was a 50% chance she'd passed it on to her kids (me & sis), so I had a blood test, and fortunately I don't have the condition, but her diagnosis had given me such a scare that I started to re-assess my own lifestyle habits. I realised I wasn't happy with the way I looked in photos, as well as feeling rubbish and tired all the time.

A close friend who recently had a baby was trying to lose the pouch and told me about MFP. I signed up the next day and haven't looked back! I still have off days and don't deny myself treats every now and then, but making good progress, and frequently look on the Success Stories for inspiration, hoping one day I may be able to post photos of my own!
  • wolfehound22
    wolfehound22 Posts: 887
    Options
    I was 305 lbs, and got kicked off a roller coaster, because the couldn't put the safty bar down all the way, that was very upsetting. Also lets just say sexy time with the wife was becoming more difficult.

What keep me going, other than sexy time :drinker: , it would have to be my son. He was born 10 months after I started, and wanting to be a good example for him, as well as being able to run around with him, keeps me motivated.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I got fat and I don't want to do it again.
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My brother (38yrs old) and grandfather passed away from diabetes complications..
    I was diagnosed with diabetes two weeks before my brother passed.. LIfe changing to say the least..
    R.I.P. JR.. :cry:
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Results! Once I started seeing results I couldn't stop! I have stalled this week and gone back to old habits but today is a new day and I am going to buy some new clothes to motivate myself back into reality!
  • Reyreygirl
    Reyreygirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was driving in the car with my husband and I caught a glimpse of my self in the side view passenger mirror. All I seen was a big huge face laying on top a chest, no neck. I looked down and seen how huge my stomach was. I thought to myself you cannot do this anymore. That was 75 lbs ago, now my husband says wow babe I remember when you used to sit there and your stomach stuck way out. When I look in the side view mirror I like what I see now and can't stop looking :)
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    None of my clothes were fitting, I was embarassed by the pictures of me taken at my friends birthday party, and I just in general felt very unattractive. Not to mention, I would get out of breath just walking a block. I felt terrible. I missed playing soccer, and kick boxing, and running like I did when I was younger.
  • Reyreygirl
    Reyreygirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me at Knott's, so embarrassing
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    It wasn't any one specific thing, but rather an accumulation of thoughts, feelings, and incidents that made me decide to do something about my weight. They are, in no particular order:

1. I was MISERABLE physically, emotionally, and mentally because of my weight.
    2. I was beginning to have some serious health issues as a result of my unhealthy lifestyle.
    3. I hurt ALL THE TIME...even just sitting on the couch or lying in the bed.
    4. I could barely stand to look at myself in the mirror.
    5. I was always angry and on the verge of tears...just sad all the time.
    6. I couldn't fit on amusement rides anymore, and amusement parks used to be one of my favorite summer time activities.
    7. At one time, I was fairly athletic. I wanted to look and feel athletic again.
    8. I was tired of sitting on the couch watching other people do fun and exciting things that I couldn't do because of my weight.
    9. I wanted to start dating again, but didn't have the confidence to do so at nearly 300lbs.
    10. I was tired of being the fattest person in the room at nearly every group function I attended.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!