Silk (soy milk) VS Skim Milk

Options

Replies

• honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Soy in just about all forms is utter and complete garbage. It HAS been shown to increase estrogen levels in men, especailly those that are developing (young boys). It also is a known problem for people with thyroid conditions, PCOS and Insulin Resistance.

If you are going to drink milk you are much better off drinking almond, coconut or FULL FAT dairy. Drinking skim milk seems very counter productive, as they take out all the good parts of the milk and leave all the garbage, plus it tastes horrible compared to whole milk. Sugars are also added to skim milks to make up for the lack of flavor from fat. In the grand scheme of things, there really isn't that much of a calorie savings (as if calories even really matter) between whole and skim milk, and with more nourishing fat and less sugar seems like whole is the way to go for dairy.

I personally don't use any milk except almond or coconut on rare occasions when a recipe calls for it.
    I don't even like the taste of 2% milk, I'd give up milk before I'd switch from skim to whole! yuck!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    To each their own I suppose, I like heavy cream (40% fat) and whole milk much better. At first it takes some getting used to as it has a thicker texture to it, but it is SO much better tasting than skim. It's hard to change taste however if you're raised on something as well. I was raised on 2% milk and when my mom would occasionally buy skim it was like a slap in the face. When you're used to drinking flavorless milk I suppose good milk can be overpowering.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    To each their own I suppose, I like heavy cream (40% fat) and whole milk much better. At first it takes some getting used to as it has a thicker texture to it, but it is SO much better tasting than skim. It's hard to change taste however if you're raised on something as well. I was raised on 2% milk and when my mom would occasionally buy skim it was like a slap in the face. When you're used to drinking flavorless milk I suppose good milk can be overpowering.
    I drank 2% for practically my entire life. I didn't mind it in cereal but otherwise I was never a big fan. I switched to skim on my own when I moved out and I prefer it. It's most likely because I am not a big fan of the taste of milk, and skim has less of that taste.
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I like to use both for different things. I like vanilla soy for smoothies and baking, because it gives an extra bit of sweetness. otherwise, for cereal or plain drinking I LOVE my WHOLE dairy milk and i can tolerate skim milk. It just depends on what fits my calories that day, I keep several types of milk in the fridge.
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Since doing MFP, I have switched to unsweetened almond milk instead of 1% milk. I like the taste and drink a lot of milk, so any way I can save on calories, cholesterol, etc. is a big help.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    My dad recently started drinking SILK instead of his normal Skim Milk... after trying one of his flavored Silks (almond dark chocolate) I must say that it is pretty good! And we are a HUGE milk drinking family... but I wondered... what is the real benefits to switching to Soy Milk? And how many of you are Pro Silk and how many are pro Skim Milk (flavored or not)? THANKS!!

Cholesterol is one of the reasons some people switch to Soy...Soy is higher in Vitamin E.

I personally would not recommnend a MAN drinking and eating high quantity of Soy...lowers testosterone levels...true story...I met a dude who devloped man boobs from a high soy diet...

I drink soy, almond, and skim milk...I mix it up.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I drink soy milk because I found out while breastfeeding that my daughter couldn't digest cows milk. So I've been drinking soy since she was a baby. Now that she's five, I still drink it. I can't even stand the smell or texture of cows milk. Plus, soy has more calcium and isn't that the reason they've pushed cows milk on us forever?
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

that last link is a lie...I have read in men's fitness article of a war veteran who developed man boobs from soy..AND I have a friend who works out at my gym who developed man boobs from soy...He got very depressed and had to change up his diet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I drink whole milk growing up (I'm rather old and honestly had never heard of skim milk as a child). When I finally tasted skim milk was the first time I can honestly say I liked milk. I hated the creaminess of whole, even though that was all I'd ever tasted. I can't imagine drinking cream. Just the thought makes me cringe.
  • busymommyx3
    busymommyx3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Cows milk is for baby cows. :wink: I use Silk Organic Soy Milk (no GMO's) in my cereal every morning or once in a while when I want something sweet I use Vanilla Almond Milk.
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    One final note...Soy can be bad for girls too...

My coworker's daughter had pain iin her chest area...She is about 6 years old...They took her to the doctor and she had lumps and the docotor asked her what she ate...and drink...

My coworker said that she only drinks soy milk..she hates water, and juice...only liquids she drink is soy...and that caused her to develp breast too soon...something about the high levels of estrogen in it? cazy...
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Soy is not garbage, and does not raise estrogen levels in men, and has positive benefits on diabetes and insulin resistance.

I personally think soy is worse than cows milk. Soy did raise my estrogen levels, created thyroid issues foe me causing many symptoms and shutting down my metabolism. Soy milk is the most chemically altered, pesticide laden, GMO type of food and hormone altering food in America. This is not Asia's fermented, organic and naturally prepared soy.

I mean think about the process soy beans go through to become milk...its not like it grows on trees naturally. You don't hear that in caveman days they drank estrogenic, processed soy beans, it's unnatural in my opinion.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk very often but when I do it's 1% milk, used for cereal or sometimes I just want to drink some milk.

In smoothies and other things that require milk I use unsweetened coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options

My coworker's daughter had pain iin her chest area...She is about 6 years old...They took her to the doctor and she had lumps and the docotor asked her what she ate...and drink...

My coworker said that she only drinks soy milk..she hates water, and juice...only liquids she drink is soy...and that caused her to develp breast too soon...something about the high levels of estrogen in it? cazy...

Yes it's true and can cause girls to sat art their cycles too early as well. Plus is a top FIVE allergen even mores than dairy.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Soy and dairy are bad news. Stick to almond milk!

Also, I recently realized that my adult acne cleared up around the time I quit dairy. A little research suggests this is not a coincidence.
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

Yes it's true and can cause girls to sat art their cycles too early as well. Plus is a top FIVE allergen even mores than dairy.

WOW!
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    Soy and dairy are bad news. Stick to almond milk!

Also, I recently realized that my adult acne cleared up around the time I quit dairy. A little research suggests this is not a coincidence.

everything is bad news if you over do it...

I drink all three in moderation....
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Soy, almond, coconut, and rice milk often have the same nutritional values as cow's milk. Plus, they aren't intended to grow a 2700lb animal.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

That's insane!!! My daughter only drinks soy milk once in a while. I tell her if she doesn't want water then obviously she isn't as thirsty as she says she is. She tries the whole "I only like juice at bedtime!" crap with me and I tell her to pretend water is juice. Guess who has a glass of water every night before bed after the whole "I only like juice" crap fails?

I'd say she only has soy in her cereal which is only on Saturdays and maybe a glass with lunch every once in a while.
  • barbaradilisio
    Options
    I like soy milk, but only drink it occasionally. I prefer the taste of regular milk over it. I'm trying to limit dairy because I read it aggravates my skin, so I hardly ever drink that either.