Where Are All The Puerto Ricans At?

Options
124»

Replies

• moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am definately white but I love puerto rican food, any ideas where I can get some authentic recipes?
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am definately white but I love puerto rican food, any ideas where I can get some authentic recipes?

right here..

http://www.elboricua.com/recipes.html
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    for real? thats unfair!!!
    No -- it's not, actually. :flowerforyou:
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    Ha.. I think the OP wanted to talk about our food not men.. LOL but however the thread goes.. here's one for ya...

Hopefully we can get this back on track.. LOL
    pernil.jpg

mmmmmm pernil.
  • estrellita26
    estrellita26 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    From www.skinnytaste.com

Arroz Con Gandules (Rice and Pigeon Peas)

I've gotten requests to add more latin recipes to my site which for me is never a problem since I LOVE latin food! Arroz Con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas) is a Puerto Rican dish popular in the Carribean. The pigeon peas are loaded with fiber which makes this a healthy side if cooked right. This is a lighter version of my cousin's recipe, who makes the best arroz con gandules I know. The most important part of this dish is in the seasoning. Your liquids should have lots of flavor, and should taste slightly salty before it's absorbed into the rice, otherwise it will taste a bit bland when absorbed. Great with a simple side salad.

Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 7 • Size: 1 cup • Time: 35 minutes • Calories: 247 • Points: 4.5

Sofrito:

3 cloves garlic
    1 cup white onion
    4 scallions
    1/2 cup cilantro
    1/2 cup green pepper
    1 tomato
    1 tbsp oil

1 (15 oz) can pigeon peas or gandules, drained
    2 cups of uncooked long grain rice
    3 cups water
    1 chicken bullion like Maggi (or vegetable bullion for vegans)
    1 packet of Sazon
    salt
    Chop all sofrito items in a food processor or chopper. In a caldero or heavy pot with a lid, heat oil on medium. Stir in onion, scallion, cilantro, pepper and garlic and cook about 5 minutes. Add tomato and salt cook another minute. Stir in rice and blend well. Add gandules, water, bullion, sazon, salt and taste liquid for flavor. Mix well. Add more salt if needed.

Reduce flame to medium-low and let water boil down until it is completely absorbed. Once water barely skims the top, set flame to low and cover for 20 minutes without stirring or lifting the lid. The steam will cook the rice.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Im Dominican! I got that Dominican PLATANO!! :wink: :wink: :happy:
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    From www.skinnytaste.com

I've gotten requests to add more latin recipes to my site which for me is never a problem since I LOVE latin food! Arroz Con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas) is a Puerto Rican dish popular in the Carribean. The pigeon peas are loaded with fiber which makes this a healthy side if cooked right. This is a lighter version of my cousin's recipe, who makes the best arroz con gandules I know. The most important part of this dish is in the seasoning. Your liquids should have lots of flavor, and should taste slightly salty before it's absorbed into the rice, otherwise it will taste a bit bland when absorbed. Great with a simple side salad.

Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 7 • Size: 1 cup • Time: 35 minutes • Calories: 247 • Points: 4.5

Sofrito:

3 cloves garlic
    1 cup white onion
    4 scallions
    1/2 cup cilantro
    1/2 cup green pepper
    1 tomato
    1 tbsp oil

1 (15 oz) can pigeon peas or gandules, drained
    2 cups of uncooked long grain rice
    3 cups water
    1 chicken bullion like Maggi (or vegetable bullion for vegans)
    1 packet of Sazon
    salt
    Chop all sofrito items in a food processor or chopper. In a caldero or heavy pot with a lid, heat oil on medium. Stir in onion, scallion, cilantro, pepper and garlic and cook about 5 minutes. Add tomato and salt cook another minute. Stir in rice and blend well. Add gandules, water, bullion, sazon, salt and taste liquid for flavor. Mix well. Add more salt if needed.

Reduce flame to medium-low and let water boil down until it is completely absorbed. Once water barely skims the top, set flame to low and cover for 20 minutes without stirring or lifting the lid. The steam will cook the rice.
    If you want to even tastier, triple the oil. :love:

C'mon -- you know that's how Mami makes it! :laugh:
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    From www.skinnytaste.com

her recipes are a great jumping off point but they always need a serious jolt of extra spices.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    chiquita.jpg
  • PDiddy0913
    PDiddy0913 Posts: 65
    Options
    Boricua HERE! I hardly eat Puerto Rican food though (although I love it). I save it for family dinners, get-togethers, and special occasions!
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    chiquita.jpg

CHIQUITA, you mean CHIQUITO! LMFAO j/K I'm married, let's keep this clean..
  • _LilPowerHouse
    Options
    Just had some rice and beans at my moms house.. nothin better than moms cooking... :bigsmile:
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My husband is Puerto Rican. His mother gave me "Cocina Criolla" when we first got married. Wonderful cook book! BEST FOOD IN THE WORLD!
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    No Racism Comments Needed!!

Where are all the Ricans at?? I'm looking for friends that eat that Rican rice?! Lol..

I do cause my Rican wife makes it YUMMM! That was the reason I needed to be on this site! LOL

Yup, it definitly does that!! My husband and I, are both on the chubby side lol. It's ok, I'm fixing that.

The worst part is my wife can eat it all day long and not gain a lbs. her and her family did this to me so I couldn't run away LOL, not that I would it was just insurance. Lol
  • _LilPowerHouse
    Options
    Hmmmm unusually quiet in here, considering we're Puerto Ricans.. or just latino's in general.. LOL
  • erikapereira
    erikapereira Posts: 196
    Options
    Representando la ciudad del placer, CAGUAS!
    I miss my food. I dont like to cook. I am looking puertorican rest on the DC area. ITS so hard. I want a mofongo, morcilla, chuleta y arroz con habichuela :P