Vegan? Vegetarian? Paleo? High Carb?

Options
13»

Replies

• christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I do a ketogenic diet. I try and get about 65% of my calories from fat, 30% protein and 5% carbohydrates. I've done my best to eliminate grains and sugar from my diet. I'm not paleo by any means because I still eat "junk" but I do follow some paleo principles.

Interesting! I follow a female bodylifters blog and she has been following a keto routine to lean out after her initial bulking phase.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I personally think this whole eating clean thing is a bunch of hooey. A mild form of orthorexia.

Way to start out the attack posts so soon. Why not just STFU instead of being critical about things you don't even understand.

Don't understand? I understand the philosophy quite well; you are overall bombarded with it nowadays, expecially if you happen to know a paleo person or two that never spare a moment to spread the good news, sending the nonbelievers and their processing to the firey gates. They are right and everybody else is wrong; the system is evil and doctors are idiots.

The contradictions in it are hilarious, as most of the practitioners spout off endless streams of science, whilst at the same time adhering to a technophobia lifestyle; the fear of processing or GMO are merely subforms of chemophobia; the irrational fear of chemicals, a largely media driven phobia (that has been strongly on the rise, the human psyche can only handle so many scare stories it seems before it cracks, though nowadays all the cool kids are doing it).

Why is it irrational to fear chemicals in your food though? There really is a lot of junk added to food disguised as "natural flavoring" and many other crap in it. I see an issue with someone forcing their ideas down someone else's throat but I don't see how someone who avoids all junk food can have an issue.

You wouldn't say it's healthy to have an occasional cigarette every few months so why would you say its a good idea to have the occasional processed junk food meal every once in a while. Most people only eat the junk food cause they can't resist it but that doesn't mean someone with the will power to avoid it all the time has issues.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Mostly clean, lots of veggies and fruit and as much meat as I can stand (not a big meat eater, except my occasional steak cravings). I limit carbs because I have PCOS, and I limit dairy because it seems to aggravate my eczema.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm taking in no more than 100grams of carbs in the month of May, in June I'll bump it back up to no more than 250grams. I'm okay with fast food, processed foods, raw foods, fresh foods, frozen foods, pizza, soda, diet soda, fake sweeteners, and of course bacon.

Only thing I'm not okay with is Agave Nectar... I'd rather have honey or sugar.
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    Paleo....because it makes me feel good

I keep my ratios high fat, mid protein and low carb. I am usually about 30g of carbs a day but I put in a cycle every 5 days to a high of around 175g. And yes, this is ketogenic as well.

This allows me to retain my muscle and to shed the fat.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian. I went cold, uh, tofurkey almost two years ago and haven't looked back since. I wanted to do it for years but thought I couldn't do it. I have always been a huge animal rights advocate and it made me feel like a huge hypocrite (don't kill/torture animals, guys - now pass me that burger) right? I never felt good about eating the 'M' word either - even the word grosses me out. I was really picky. Finally, after joining MFP and having the support of my wonderful hubby, I just decided to do it. I have never felt better either! It's a difficult transition for newbies - - not to become a 'starchatarian' and fill the protein gap with pasta rice and potatoes...but once you get the swing of it, it's awesome. Another benefit - it almost completely cuts out fast food. It's a little more work, but it forces you to make better choices. I have also always loved to cook, and now, a whole new world of foods I never even knew existed, have opened up to me. I love it.
  • christinehetz80
    Options
    Vegetarian. I went cold, uh, tofurkey almost two years ago and haven't looked back since. I wanted to do it for years but thought I couldn't do it. I have always been a huge animal rights advocate and it made me feel like a huge hypocrite (don't kill/torture animals, guys - now pass me that burger) right? I never felt good about eating the 'M' word either - even the word grosses me out. I was really picky. Finally, after joining MFP and having the support of my wonderful hubby, I just decided to do it. I have never felt better either! It's a difficult transition for newbies - - not to become a 'starchatarian' and fill the protein gap with pasta rice and potatoes...but once you get the swing of it, it's awesome. Another benefit - it almost completely cuts out fast food. It's a little more work, but it forces you to make better choices. I have also always loved to cook, and now, a whole new world of foods I never even knew existed, have opened up to me. I love it.

Love the "starchatarian" phrase! haha! I have a friend who is a vegetarian because of her belief system and she really hates vegetables so I call her my fluffatarian...she loves marshmallow fluff. Now I know there is a more proper term for it.
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    I personally think this whole eating clean thing is a bunch of hooey. A mild form of orthorexia.

It really isn't all that hard. Eat less junk food, severely reduce/eliminate the snacking habit, remove most liquid calories, never go through a drive through, and save eating out for special occasions only (quit being lazy and grocery shop/cook). Do those things plus exercise and eating enough calories will be a much bigger problem than eating too many.

*applause* :flowerforyou:

Every person is different. Some will require high carb. Some will require no carb. I can't be low carb, because my main protein sources are legumes. Lentils and black beans, etc are not low carb.

I eat what I want, keeping protein in mind. I don't eat processed foods (with the exception of cereal) and I try to have a good amount of vegetables. I keep at or under 1500. Some days I binge.

*shrug*

Edited to add: I have a no added sugar, no artificial sweetener rule. I'm using stevia. Except for binge days, where sugar is probably gonna happen.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm low fat, high fiber. I have a digestive disorder and my liver can't handle a lot of fat at one time, so I have to spread my intake throughout the day to get enough healthy fats in. TMI, but if I eat too much fat in one sitting my body purges (out one end or the other or both) and it's a miserable thing. Since going low fat (with my doctor's blessing) I feel great. I have even built some fat tolerance back up so that I can now eat more than 5 grams of fat at a time without getting sick. I eat lean meats and fish a few times a week, along with egg whites, but I primarily eat whole grains, beans and vegetables, with some fruit thrown in here and there. I eat too much pasta and dairy (reduced fat versions) because I love them, but overall I have been very healthy and trim since I started. :drinker:
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just curious on what food lifestyle choices people on here have and why? What reasons made people choose their specific nutritional plan and why they feel it benefits them. Was the transition hard? How long they've been doing it? And can I peek at your diaries? Just working on getting more ideas and I don't think I ever see myself going vegan/vegetarian or raw or paleo. I'm open to implementing certain things though.

I personally try to just eat as clean as possible as minimally processed as possible and organic if I can, with a wide array of vegetables, fruits, nuts, seafood, lean meats, and slow digesting carbs with a side of chocolate.

Well, I'm vegan. I prefer to say herbivore, because vegangelicals could complain about my leather jacket. I don't do it so much for the animals as for my cholesterol and the environment. I would be vegetarian but I'm lactose intolerant and also OCD. HA!

I went vegan about 3 years ago. I've never liked meat. I used to LOVE cheese. I also have issues with sweets and baked goods. Veganism (and being lactose intolerant) keeps that mess in check.

It started with a book called Eat to Live, kept going with a movie called Forks over Knives. And encouraged by my blood work. I'm genetically prone to high cholesterol, hypertension, diabetes, being over weight, and being short. If only eating veggies made me taller.

The switch wasn't too hard. We just went cold turkey one day. It was harder for our families (I'm married, my hubby is also a herbivore) to adjust.

I'm currently working on eating more protein, more raw vegetables, and more fat, and less carbs, because I want to get the most out of my calories. I have a sugar problem. Also a bread problem. Also a sugar on bread problem. I try and stick to whole grains.

My diary is open to friends. The forums scare the poo out of me so I don't go public. I friend anybody tho.

I like it. It's made me a better cook because I'm broke so I make everything from scratch. I feel good. I'm pretty sure I smell better than I used to, well, I hope I do. :wink:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'm in the camp that tries to piss all those camps off with my diet

Haha! Just peeked at your diary - and your statement is so true. You lift?

Yep. No cardio in about a year

Do you feel like you'd be in pretty decent cardio shape if you were to go for a run or something though?

Just curious because I run once a week or so just because I'm worried I won't be able to run a lot anymore. Since I cut back on cardio I almost feel like I should do it to maintain my cardio fitness or something.

RHR is ~50. Strength training has crossover cardio benefits
  • nasja1984
    nasja1984 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just curious on what food lifestyle choices people on here have and why? What reasons made people choose their specific nutritional plan and why they feel it benefits them. Was the transition hard? How long they've been doing it? And can I peek at your diaries? Just working on getting more ideas and I don't think I ever see myself going vegan/vegetarian or raw or paleo. I'm open to implementing certain things though.

I personally try to just eat as clean as possible as minimally processed as possible and organic if I can, with a wide array of vegetables, fruits, nuts, seafood, lean meats, and slow digesting carbs with a side of chocolate.

I personnally chose a "modified vegan" diet. The weight comes off easy and theres no hunger issues. It works for me:)
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 15 months. I did it for ethical reasons mostly, but the health benefits have been spectacular! I've honestly never felt better! ;-)
  • christinehetz80
    Options
    HA!

It started with a book called Eat to Live, kept going with a movie called Forks over Knives. And encouraged by my blood work. I'm genetically prone to high cholesterol, hypertension, diabetes, being over weight, and being short. If only eating veggies made me taller.

I need to look into both that book and that documentary a food blog that I LOVE and follow both state that those 2 sources really changed their outlook on food.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for ethical reasons.

For health/weight loss:

- eat enough to fuel my workouts but leave a reasonable deficit
    - get at least 1g protein per lb LBM, 30% fat macro - the balance - whatever
    - 80% balanced diet - the rest - whatever
    - lift heavy 3 - 5 x a week
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I just try to eat a balanced diet and exercise. I have tried to increase my protein overall because I find it keeps me fuller and I get hungry less. Mostly I eat chicken, rice, veggies and fruit (and make recipes usually surrounding those ingredients.) I like to try new things and I like a lot of variety so I'm not on a strict this-and-that only diet. :) My thinking is: if it's not something that I can maintain the rest of my life and be happy with, it ain't worth it!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, I try to get in veggies every day and make as healthy choices as I can in the confines of my "whatever I want" diet. I don't really like meat, so most of my protein is from processed sources (bars or powder). I'm broke, so I'll often pick the less healthy alternative if the more healthy is significantly more expensive (at my grocery store, .65 for the on sale yogurt versus 1.29 for Greek... Since I have yogurt most days, it would be like $10 a month more for Greek!)

Yeah, I should try harder but I don't think it's long term sustainable for me
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm Insulin Resistant so i'm low sugar (and therefore relatively low-startch and low-carb) But i don't go too crazy w/ it. I try and keep my protein as high as i can and i really don't care about fats since i tend to eat GOOD fats. You can peek at my diary if you want, it's open. I'm not super "clean" or anything just because i don't find that is sustainable for me.