what to do when you have a TOTAL BLOW OUT and OVER EAT

Options

Replies

• mkmellem
    mkmellem Posts: 8
    Options
    I really like this idea of intermittent fasting and when I was more fit, I used to do it myself. Everything has its place. I'm thinking about trying it again. My body can totally handle it.
  • msChicagolowe
    Options
    If tomorrow comes, it's a fresh new start, you'll be better and stronger and will not give in next time. if you do give in again to temptations don't eat the whole thing,or fight it cause your doing so well in your weight loss journey. be stronger and don't beat up on yourself.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    For me, it always balances out. Sure, I might spend a few days, even five days, a pound, or two pounds heavier, but it then drops back down to my base weight when I am eating normally again. I would imagine most peoples' lives run like that actually, once they are at a healthy weight. I almost envy the people who are a normal weight, and just eat, and have their treats and their meals out, and don't constantly fret about what they need to do to make up for their nice meal or treat because they have a normal attitude towards food and eating.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I really like this idea of intermittent fasting and when I was more fit, I used to do it myself. Everything has its place. I'm thinking about trying it again. My body can totally handle it.

ya, I really like the intermittent fasting.

. have you noticed most people are only replying to the title of this thread without actually reading the post. strange
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options

. have you noticed most people are only replying to the title of this thread without actually reading the post. strange
    What kind of responses are you expecting? People are sharing their own experiences. To be honest, your original post doesn't leave much to respond to. I find your comments more bizarre and off topic than anyone else's.
  • Manabug01
    Manabug01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What kind of responses are you expecting? People are sharing their own experiences. To be honest, your original post doesn't leave much to respond to. I find your comments more bizarre and off topic than anyone else's.

No offense, I honestly don't mean to be rude, but then just don't respond. OP was just saying to look at it another way. Instead of looking at your cals day by day go week by week and plan it out. Doesn't work for everyone but it does for some people. And if one person out of a bazillion looks at this post, says "hmm I might try that" and it works for them.. then that's one more person changing their life for the better... and isn't that why we're ALL here in the first place?
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I had a major blow out for 5 days last week where I averaged 3000 calories a day. I haven't weighed myself, but this came up to a 2 pound gain. Now for the next 2 weeks, I'm working on making it up.
  • BrownsFan16
    BrownsFan16 Posts: 38
    Options

I agree..... how many more times before this thread is dead will he say "people dont read my post". Ummm, exactly what are we supposed to say?? It is an article... and a philosophy. Get over yourself, for real....
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    You brush yourself off and get RIGHT BACK AT IT! Never looking back!
  • ilitos
    ilitos Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    recently I read a thread about how someone had a total blow out and over ate their calories by more than a cheese cake full.

I suppose it is normal to fear that when this happens we have undone alot of hard work. It hasnt if- you dont continue with over feeding.

We all tend to look at a one day at a time window when measuring how we are doing as far as total calories consumed. It doesnt actually work this way. At least not for me.

WHen you have one of those days where something happens like a party or a wedding or just a crappy day and you over eat by a huge margin, don't despair. Sit down and plan out the rest of a 7 day period. Manage your next 7 days to end up with the same caloric deficit as if you didnt have that blow out. I personally am doing intermittent fasting (IF). I am not selling that to you but I am really enjoying the results as far as energy, mental clarity and especially not being worried about what to eat and when.

Some will say that if you have a blow out just forget it and start the next day back on track. Why? Plan your next 7 days to include the total and you will stay on track.

Looking at calories consumed over a 3 day or 7 day window is much nicer, easier and more enjoyable than the 24 hour daily grind.

No...I do not have studies and research to cite for you. It is working for me and I like it.

TELL YOURSELF "HOW HUMAN OF ME" forgive yourself and start all over again tomorrow.
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    what's an interminitt fast ? (sorry, can't spell or say it, lol)

(obviously has to do with not eating, but what are the specifics)

Thank you :smile:
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    If I planned my week to make up for going over my calorie goals, I'd be eating less than 1200 for that week.
    So I just let it go and get on with my life, unless I'm in a really disordered state of mind.
  • CurlyQ59
    CurlyQ59 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yes i did read the post - and i wasn't answering directly to "you", but was responding to what I do in general when I have a binge. I try to figure out "why" I did what I did so that hopefully I can manage myself better next time. I also don't beat myself up, but tell myself that life is about "learning" and I'm trying to learn how to eat better and be healthier. If I have a day when I really overeat, I try to find out why I did it, so that maybe I can plan to do something differently the next time I find myself in that situation. (ie, if I'm at a party and binge - then next time, I try to eat before the party so I'm not so hungry or tempted to binge on empty calories, or if I'm just having a crappy day and binge as a source of stress relief, then I try to remind myself that there are better ways to handle stress and maybe pamper myself with a bubblebath or manicure or long walk.... I wasn't trying to tell you what to do...
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    yes i did read the post - and i wasn't answering directly to "you", but was responding to what I do in general when I have a binge. I try to figure out "why" I did what I did so that hopefully I can manage myself better next time. I also don't beat myself up, but tell myself that life is about "learning" and I'm trying to learn how to eat better and be healthier. If I have a day when I really overeat, I try to find out why I did it, so that maybe I can plan to do something differently the next time I find myself in that situation. (ie, if I'm at a party and binge - then next time, I try to eat before the party so I'm not so hungry or tempted to binge on empty calories, or if I'm just having a crappy day and binge as a source of stress relief, then I try to remind myself that there are better ways to handle stress and maybe pamper myself with a bubblebath or manicure or long walk.... I wasn't trying to tell you what to do...

ok...but the original post was simply offering a different idea to deal with a day of over eating....but thanks for the reply
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think it works if you overeat by 500-1000 calories or so. Reducing by 100-200 calories/day the rest of the week is doable.

If you really have a TOTAL BLOW OUT though, and eat "more than a cheese cake full," you are going to have to starve yourself the rest of the week and you probably still won't make up for it. In those cases it's really best to not beat yourself up and instead move on and try to address the cause of the blow out so it's less likely to happen again.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Interesting use of the term "BLOW OUT". I've always reserved it for...

a) The sudden explosion of a car tire, or
    B) The sudden explosion of my bowels (explosive diarrhea).
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    poop happens. (i'm at work so I"m not cussin')

You just forgive yourself and get back in the saddle. That's all there is to it.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Nicely put!
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    It is just like walking, sometimes you fall. Other times you dive. Just get up and start walking again. Sometimes getting a little dirty is fun.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    For me, it always balances out. Sure, I might spend a few days, even five days, a pound, or two pounds heavier, but it then drops back down to my base weight when I am eating normally again. I would imagine most peoples' lives run like that actually, once they are at a healthy weight. I almost envy the people who are a normal weight, and just eat, and have their treats and their meals out, and don't constantly fret about what they need to do to make up for their nice meal or treat because they have a normal attitude towards food and eating.

I agree with this. I might not really understand this whole intermittent fasting thing, but since I don't often eat back ALL of my exercise calories these days, I've been looking at it as a week long thing too. Unfortunately, I haven't lost in about 2 weeks tho. Makes me wonder if I'm wrong about how that works... Or if it's water weight from muscle building. Who knows?

That being said, I agree that I envy normal weight people these days. Like, watching people not on a diet who are not overweight eat at a restaurant. I always wonder...do they ever think about it? Will I ever be like that? I never had to think about calories before I had babies. I guess I'll get there again, but I wonder if it will always be at the back of my mind...

God. Depressing. LOL