cut out grains (not all carbs) and WOW

Options
Dave198lbs
Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
I cut out eating grains 20 days ago, yes, even oatmeal, and am really amazed at the difference. I have more energy, sleep better and a few stubborn pounds are gone. Also with cutting grains, I have more calories available for steak and fish. Are these improvements all due to cutting out grains? Well, I havn't really changed anything else and I was eating pretty clean before cutting them out. I am eating more protein foods like meat and fish. I use to eat oatmeal on a regular basis, sprouted grain breads (ezekial), whole wheat tortillas, hamburger buns, etc.

I am not suggesting anyone do this, I know there are those who consider grains a required food group (it really isn't) but I don't see or feel a downside and only positives so far. Do I miss them? It is a bit inconvenient as I like making hamburgers and skipping the hamburger bun changes the experience and I love carne asada tacos...but eventually I will still eat an occasional bun or taco.

Give it a try for 21 days and see if you feel better.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Options
    oh...also have increased vegetable carbs (broccoli, etc) so I dont know if that is a factor in my changes
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Dave, firstly Congrats. Have you cut out Pasta, Potatoes, Rice or just wheat products?

Russ
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Dave, firstly Congrats. Have you cut out Pasta, Potatoes, Rice or just wheat products?

Russ

I havn't had any pasta either. I am not sure on the difference if any between white potatoes and sweet potatoes, but I do eat sweet potatoes on occasion. Usually by making sweet potato chips in the oven with some olive oil. Havnt had white potatoes in quite some time. Don't remember the last time I had any rice.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    There is a lady in work that has gone this route & swears by it! BUT I just can't envisage life without carbs, as I struggle to get enough cals now, But more power to you, its about what is right for you :)

Russ
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give this a try, I have a problem with carbs anyway........... thanks.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    There is a lady in work that has gone this route & swears by it! BUT I just can't envisage life without carbs, as I struggle to get enough cals now, But more power to you, its about what is right for you :)

Russ

that is one issue I had also....but it really isnt life with out carbs....I still eat alot of carbs, just not from grains
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    So in the interest of disclosure.

A. Has your caloric intake remained the same?
    B. Has your carb intake remained the same?
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this to come back and read later.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    bump
  • toysbigkid
    Options
    so it's carbs from any type of grain, breads, pastas, rice etc? but not fruits right?
  • toysbigkid
    Options
    is it a healthy thing to do for long term?............ When you start eating carbs again, if you have, did you gain back the weight or inches lost?
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    countrygirlatheart0717 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    To me it sounds like you're on the Paleo Diet - no grains, pasta, rice, etc. I have been thinking more and more to give it a try for 30 days because I have a few friends who say after being on the Paleo Diet they have more energy, sleep better and lots of other positive things. Have nothing to lose but weight anyway so why not try it?!?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    So in the interest of disclosure.

A. Has your caloric intake remained the same?
    B. Has your carb intake remained the same?

a. yes...one other change, I started IF (intermittent fasting)

b. no...my total carb grams has decreased some, so I have increased vegetable and fruit carbs to replace the grain based carbs but the total is probably down 15-20% which I added to protein and fat macros
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    To me it sounds like you're on the Paleo Diet - no grains, pasta, rice, etc. I have been thinking more and more to give it a try for 30 days because I have a few friends who say after being on the Paleo Diet they have more energy, sleep better and lots of other positive things. Have nothing to lose but weight anyway so why not try it?!?

hmmm...well I dont know if they allow milk and cheese and I love both and still eat both.
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    My problem would be breakfast, what do you eat for breakfast? And does rice count as a grain?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    is it a healthy thing to do for long term?............ When you start eating carbs again, if you have, did you gain back the weight or inches lost?

well I still do eat carbs, just not grain carbs, I havnt started grains again yet and if I do, it will be limited for hamburgers and tacos I imagine.

Is it healthy for long term? I am not really qualified to say yes or no, but I believe it is
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    At first I thought you cut out grains and World of Warcraft.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    My problem would be breakfast, what do you eat for breakfast? And does rice count as a grain?

yes, I beleive rice is a grain. When I do eat breakfast, which is rare, I eat eggs, bacon, tomatoes, or if in a hurry, protein shake with blueberries
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    countrygirlatheart0717 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

hmmm...well I dont know if they allow milk and cheese and I love both and still eat both.

Oh yeah, I forgot about dairy. No, they don't allow dairy on the diet either.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I have done the same! I feel so much better!