No Open Diary

Options

Replies

• w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    People have different goals and different reasons for using this site. Personally, I log my food to help me keep track of how many calories and how much sodium I consume, and I don't really give a rat's a** what anyone else thinks of it. Therefore my diary is closed. I have a small group of friends with similar goals who help keep me motivated. We cheer each other's little victories, no matter what they might be or what methods we use to achieve them. We don't need to be judged in order to reach our goals.
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It is true that it is individual choice whether or not to make your diary available for others to view - mine is because I have no problem at all with anybody seeing what I eat. I log everything. If I should have a problem then it is easier to get some constructive advice if people know what I consume. I like to make some positive, constructive and encouraging comment on each of my friends days ... but I am with the OP on this.... I refuse to say to someone 'well done' or such things when I don't know how many calories they have eaten - maybe it is only 3-400 as some do, or maybe they have eaten 5 cupcakes in their day and nothing else - how can I commend them for that? So if there is no diary to view then I restrict my comments to something like 'I hope it was a good healthy day for you' - that way I feel that I am giving them some constructive support without condoning unhealthy eating practices.
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Even while eating well and exercising, I don't show my diary (it's open but it doesn't pop up on my news feed when my day is done).

People have too many conflicting views and I really don't need all that pressure, lol. If I decided to have a slice of pizza (which I rarely do), if I've been good all week, what's the benefit of having everyone point it out?

I'm very honest with my friends, and if I had a bad eating day I would tell them that... Doesn't mean I need them scrutinizing my every move.
  • NK203
    NK203 Posts: 35
    Options
    I cannot support people who do not track their bowel movements on MyPoopingPal. I mean, really, if you won't tell me how many times you pood today and how long each was (in minutes and inches), I don't think we should be friends. I mean, if you don't even weigh it with a food scale, how can you be accurate??! Do YOU trust people who might not be pooing properly?!

Thank you for a great laugh! Awesome.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I cannot support people who do not track their bowel movements on MyPoopingPal. I mean, really, if you won't tell me how many times you pood today and how long each was (in minutes and inches), I don't think we should be friends. I mean, if you don't even weigh it with a food scale, how can you be accurate??! Do YOU trust people who might not be pooing properly?!

Bwahahahahaha!
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    That being said, I don't comment on the whole "So and so was under their calorie goal"... I don't know what's going on with them or if they are WAY under their goal and being unhealthy... I comment on their updates, workouts and weigh-ins...

Seeing people cheer someone on for being under is a big pet peeve of mine. Hence why my "cspong was under her calorie goal" doesn't show up at the end of the day.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have mine private because I'm trying to gain weight. I've had people blast me and send me pages of PM saying how I'm doing it wrong, how I have to eat this, eat that, omg why did you eat that? Mostly men too. So I just closed mine.
    I eat potatoes every day in some form and a few people have had an issue with that. So no thank you.
    And I've held on to my 5lbs for a few months now, I no longer am quite so boyish!!! I'm very happy!
  • aldale
    aldale Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't have mine open to anyone, I'm accountable for myself. If I feel like I need some input, as in I'm struggling and can't see where I'm going wrong- then I will give someone the password and they can help me out.
    Even if my diary was public, who's to say what I'd be putting in it was absolutely truthful. To be honest, if my diary was public, I think I would be more likely to skim over the "bad" things I'd eaten that day. In the end, the only person I'm cheating is myself and I just don't understand what that has to do with anyone else on here. Maybe you and I will never be friends, but I do have friends on here who encourage me for my exercise, for logging in and for being within my calories. That is enough for me.

I had my diary opened to the public and someone who I do not want to remove as a friend (because she does give support) was really hounding me every time I ate something she felt that I should not be eating. I was losing weight though and was pleased with myself. I started making my diary look good and not logging everything that I was eating. Needless to say, I began to gain weight and was embarassed to put in the weight gain. I made a decision to log in my weight gain and to make my diary private. Now I do not have to worry about what anyone else thinks, and I have started losing the weight that I had gained back. Now I enjoy MFP again.
  • Monda
    Monda Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I personally don't understand why some people have such a hard time with it being private. My diary is private and none of my friends have ever jumped down my throat or deleted me for it. I am supportive to my friends whether their diary is public or private. I encourage them on their success. They don't need me to be negative to them. Most people already know if they are not eating right. But, if they ask for me to look, then I would give them ge advice.
  • jenna324
    jenna324 Posts: 28
    Options
    I had my diary set to public for awhile and all I got was unsolicited advice, nutrition "counseling", and other various annoyances...similar to what you mentioned when you said you would offer healthier eating options, etc. I am a nutritionist. I have a college education in nutrition (even says so on my profile!) so I would like to think I know what I'm doing at this point (especially since I counsel people on their food choices and meal plans for a living!). When others who educate themselves via Google want to educate me, I have serious issues with that (not saying you do that, I'm speaking generally). If I wanted help or advice, I'd ask for it. It's easier for me to keep it closed. I've considered opening it again because I have since gotten rid of the above mentioned misinformed Google trolls but at the end of the day, who gives a crap what I have/haven't put in my mouth? (And I've forgotten how to make it public again!)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Over dramatic. People who lock their diaries obviously aren't interesting in criticism or comments from other people. I'm sure that's the main reason that people keep them private.

Honestly, who cares? It's a personal choice. The only time it bothers me is when it's someone that I want to see what they eat because they have great results, and even then, it's their choice!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    *locks door*

*swallows key*

*logs it in private diary*
  • LoriJ1782
    LoriJ1782 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Also there are many people on here that suffer from ED, celiac disease, food allergies, diabetes and have restricted diets. They prefer to keep their diaries private to avoid unsolicited advice from people not knowing their medical background.

^^^This.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to friends only, but the only person I feel I need to be accountable to is myself. I don't log for others, I log for me. Good or bad
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    What works for some doesn't mean it will work for you or anyone else for that matter.. I personally do not need anyone's approval or suggestion. (May sound harsh but just being honest) I have lost over 300 lbs. with diet and exercise so I am pretty sure I have a firm grasp on what it is that works for me. That being said if you P.M. me with questions I will respond in kind and offer advice if you want it. I am in the eat more to lose weight group so I am currently consuming well over 3200 calories a day and still losing 1/2 to 1lb. a week and like I said for most looking at my diary would probably not benefit to many and personally for me I just make the choice to keep that part private for me. Doesn't mean I am sabotaging myself or anyone else for that matter... I got a firm grip on my lifestyle and nothing against you or anyone else but it is just my choice to have it closed.... Best of Luck to you.....

You are my hero! AMAZING!
  • westdove
    westdove Posts: 174
    Options
    Hahaha, I had to chuckle on that one, because I have thought the same thing, but I guess its just good that they stayed under their goal.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary public. I have a thick skin, and i'm perfectly okay with people asking me ' WTF happened with your sodium? Holy craaaaaaaaaap. " I'm also okay with letting people know I ate a 1200 calorie burger and licked my fingers, too. Lifestyle, not diet. I wouldnt' hide my plate at a restaurant.

I can see why people keep their diaries private. Personally though, I won't comment " good logging " or " nice staying on track " if I can't see the diary. Iff someone logs and their diary is open, I snoop. And I comment.... never somethign negative, though I've occasionally thrown in a comment about eating more vegetables.

But then again, I have more MFP friends than I can handle!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Most of you have valid points so let's switch gears.

A lot of us got the way were (are) by not having a clue what to eat, if people allow us to see their diary it gives us the opportunity to see what other people are eating so that we can try those healthy foods ourselves.

The open diary thing isn't so much about wanting to tell people what they can and can not eat but it's a way of showing we care. An example would be, I can't count the number of people I see who's eating unhealthy (low) amounts of calories so what is so wrong with me caring enough to let them know. People need encouragement from time to time.

The bottom line is that if people don't like the kind of MFP friend I am, they always have the option to delete me and guess what, only one person has done that.

I'm not a bad person for caring, we need more of that in this world. John 3:16 :bigsmile:

Seriously lady?

You really just need to get over yourself.
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
    This subject has been discussed a lot before and for addition insight on the pro's and con's of this you can use the search function.

For me personally - I am an adult and I'm accountable to myself. What I choose to eat is my business.

Also there are many people on here that suffer from ED, celiac disease, food allergies, diabetes and have restricted diets. They prefer to keep their diaries private to avoid unsolicited advice from people not knowing their medical background.

It's a personal choice - I feel there is no right or wrong. If you are comfortable with it open then go for it. But please respect other people's decision to keep theirs private.
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    LMBO!!!