No Open Diary

Options

Replies

• fluffysexyme
    fluffysexyme Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This is how I look at it- what I put in my body is my business. I don't go telling everyone when I've had sex and I don't have to tell everyone when I ate a donut. If you don't like that I have a right to privacy then feel free to remove me. This is my journey, my way. You can support that I'm here, I'm doing the work and making efforts or you can stay on your high horse and ride it on away from me. Support should be unconditional imo.
  • NJ64a
    NJ64a Posts: 13
    Options
    My diary is closed. I will keep it that way until I feel otherwise. If my 'friends' want to delete me because I choose to keep my diary private then I would say good riddance.

I dont even ask my close 'real' friends what they do or dont eat because I dont feel its any of my business. When Ive been to Weight Watchers or Rosemary Conley in the past we dont all sit round in a big circle and analyse what each other have been eating.

A friend is there to support and encourage, not to critique, or to have access all areas into a persons food diary.

I dont feel it necessary to look into my 'friends' food diaries. If they are over-eating or not eating the right food and are not losing weight they already know the reason why. Im sure they dont need to hear it from anyone else.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Get over and focus on yourself. Did you ever consider that they don't need or want your input?
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You pretty much said it in your post OP... I don't want advice on what to eat. Everyone has different opinions on what somebody should eat and nobody really agrees (including people who do it for a living). When I'm interested in changing some particular thing, I'll look it up. I just don't want lots of people trying to give me advice on changing things I don't currently feel the need to change. When I want advice, I have no problem asking for it.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,004 Member
    Options
    HMMMM EXCUSE me but your diary is NOT open to me, so you are not being accountable
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options
    Mine has always been private...even when I did try the 'having friends' thing. Strangers don't need to know what I eat, and I don't care what they eat...which is why I just deleted the friends anyway. All the generic 'good jobs' and happy whatever-number-of-days-you'vej-logged-in comments are just annoying. I get no motivation from strangers, or people I know for that matter.

Just because food diaries have the option of being public, doesn't mean everyone has to have them set that way just so you can see what they eat (which to me, just makes you waste more time online anyway...)

Speaking of, does anyone know why a week after I deleted everyone, I started getting their stories in my newsfeed again?
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't want every stranger on the web to google and look at everything they do. Just because diaries are not open or accounts are not public doesn't mean they are hiding anything. Besides if they are not honest who are they hurting you? No themselves!!!!

So I don't get what the deal is with people who get on ones who don't want to be open to everyone. You guys act like we all personally know each other and have been best of friends our whole lives. Those who are my friends who know me personally can see my information. Just to let some random Tom, Richard (it don't liek ****), Jane, Or Harry see it isn't going to happen. And making on apology about it.

If I want suggestions about something. I honestly post what I need help about to ones. And honestly give the information needed regarding it. I don't need everyone to see everything all the time.
  • BTag3
    BTag3 Posts: 14
    Options
    I sometimes look at people's diaries if I'm looking for ideas of things I might could eat and stay within my calorie range... Things that I may not have thought of, or may not have ever tried... but I don't critique anyone, and even though mine is open.. I don't want a critique of mine.

I'm not on here so that everyone else can tell me what THEY think I should be eating.. I'm doing this for myself..

^^ yep^^ True. I have mine open to friends only and my only friends are actually real friends who I've known for years and who are just wanting my support. I don't check on them and critique anything, very rarely look at all actually... and only if I need an idea of what to eat.
  • samiam321123
    samiam321123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Most of you have valid points so let's switch gears.

A lot of us got the way were (are) by not having a clue what to eat, if people allow us to see their diary it gives us the opportunity to see what other people are eating so that we can try those healthy foods ourselves.

The open diary thing isn't so much about wanting to tell people what they can and can not eat but it's a way of showing we care. An example would be, I can't count the number of people I see who's eating unhealthy (low) amounts of calories so what is so wrong with me caring enough to let them know. People need encouragement from time to time.

The bottom line is that if people don't like the kind of MFP friend I am, they always have the option to delete me and guess what, only one person has done that.

I'm not a bad person for caring, we need more of that in this world. John 3:16 :bigsmile:

So are you venting or are you caring?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    It is no one's business whether my melons weigh 130 grams or more.

I eat well, talk about the types of food I eat, and offer advice if someone asks me to look at their diary. Otherwise, I'm not their babysitter and they aren't mine, either.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I love your melons, Cory!

I very, very rarely comment on anyone's food diary unless they're asking for advice. Not a babysitter or a cheerleader.

I kept my diary open, but I've pretty much stopped logging. When I do log, I don't post my "has completed her food diary" as a status update, because I don't need a "wtg" to let me know I ate well that day.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am new and honestly had NO idea that the diary defaulted to private. I changed mine. I dont really have anything I need to keep private. And I would never presume to advise anyone on anything unless they asked for it.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

I eat well, talk about the types of food I eat, and offer advice if someone asks me to look at their diary. Otherwise, I'm not their babysitter and they aren't mine, either.

may i help you weigh your melons?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

You can weigh one and duharforstået can weigh the other.
  • DarkNebula84
    DarkNebula84 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you mean! I had a friend that had her diary private and was under all the time, all of her friends kept telling her she was doing so well! How do they know?! Come to find out she was eating one time a day and it was a couple handfuls of popcorn! That is NOT a job well done or something that needs praising!
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

I think we will need weight them many times ,just to be sure.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Fan herself. Is it hot in here all the sudden?
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

I definitely think so, to combat this problem we should remove our clothes to allow body cooling to occur.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Excuse me while I vent.........

Why is it that people make positive comments under people who refuse to open up their diary?
    They say things like great job logging today, how do they know????

For me, MFP is all about accountability and if you have to hide your diary, you're not allowing yourself to be held accountable.
    We all mess up from time to time and we are all trying to retrain our minds but come on folks, be accountable for your actions.

I can not and WILL NOT be supportive of somebody who is hiding something from me.

You can finish your diary under goal for the day while eating fried chicken, pizza and cotton candy but if I can't see that, how can I help you by making suggestions of healthier options.

Friends don't lock the door on their true friends and those who lock the door on me will eventually see my name disappear from their friends list.

That may seem harsh but I'm here to be supportive. I have far too many friends who will let me to waste my time on someone who's unwilling to open up.

Ok I'm done, let the firestorm begin. Be gentle (LOL)

Judgmental much?

Here's the thing...someone hitting 'accept' on the friend request page doesn't give you the right to judge their food quality, and if you require that in order to be someone's friend, you should put it in your profile so they don't waste their time. I log, my diary is locked. There are plenty of reasons for this, which are also none of your business. As long as I'm coming in under my daily calories, I'll burn fat. It doesn't matter if I'm eating 2700cal of pizza, or 2700cal of chicken breast.

Either way, the fat will come off.

Now, I can see when someone is eating too little, as has been mentioned, but again, you have the right to say nothing if their diary is locked.

/sigh...I must be bored...I thought I'd learned not to be sucked in by judgmental threads with no real intellectual or even entertainment value.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

I definitely think so, to combat this problem we should remove our clothes to allow body cooling to occur.
    Repeat to herself. " he is 20 years old, he is 20 years old, he is 20 years old. Bad bad Yanicka"