SPLIT VERSUS FULL BODY PROGRAMS.

my goal atm is to lose weight as well as add lean body mass...
Lately I have been finding my full body takes 1.5-2 hrs to really hit everything, whereas as much as I really love the gym I don't usually have that much time on my hands but do have 45-60 minutes.

Discuss the pros and cons of each, ie full body versus split programs?

Replies

• snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    How much do you rest between sets? As well as how many sets/reps do you do?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    How much do you rest between sets? As well as how many sets/reps do you do?

I rest for 1-1.5 minute between sets. I'm doing 5x5 atm.
    Between, warmup, weights, cooldown plus stretching that is how long it usually takes me.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    I found that splitting my routine made my workout shorter and I wasn't so exhausted after. I didn't originally do it to shorten my routine though. I did it cause I was needing an hour nap after every work out.
  • BeautyFromPain
    I found that splitting my routine made my workout shorter and I wasn't so exhausted after. I didn't originally do it to shorten my routine though. I did it cause I was needing an hour nap after every work out.

Yeah that too. My body has been very fatigued lately, thinking it might be overtraining...
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    What exercises are you doing to be in the gym for 1.5-2 hours?
    Full body should take 45 minutes to one hour max.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    What is your routine? Are you using free weights or machines? I can usually get a whole body work out in 50-60min, I know that with free weights I can hit more muscle groups at a time. I have split min up now though, and usually spend about 40 min on either upper or lower. Generally I have 3 exercise per muscle group, I probably don't spend that much time on warm up and cool down though.
  • BeautyFromPain
    What is your routine? Are you using free weights or machines? I can usually get a whole body work out in 50-60min, I know that with free weights I can hit more muscle groups at a time. I have split min up now though, and usually spend about 40 min on either upper or lower. Generally I have 3 exercise per muscle group, I probably don't spend that much time on warm up and cool down though.

I'm using both free weights and machines.
    This includes warm up, weights, cooldown and stretching.
    I stretch for a good 15-30 minutes each session.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Anyway back to the question,...

Do you prefer full or split and why?
  • TheDoctor90
    Split is usually better for more advanced lifters, after they've started hitting plateaus with FB. Sounds like you're overtraining though, no need to stretch for 15-30 minutes.
    Stick with full body - big compounds like Bench press, Squat, Deadlift, Military Press.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Split is usually better for more advanced lifters, after they've started hitting plateaus with FB. Sounds like you're overtraining though, no need to stretch for 15-30 minutes.
    Stick with full body - big compounds like Bench press, Squat, Deadlift, Military Press.

Well, uhh there actually is. I'm trying to become more flexible? It has also been helping me not feel as sore.
  • TheDoctor90

Well, uhh there actually is. I'm trying to become more flexible? It has also been helping me not feel as sore.

Well uhhh you've just complained about uhhhh how tired you are and your gym routine is taking too long.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I prefer a split routine as I find it more flexible with my schedule and end up being able to get more in. I do a combo of compound and isolation lifts.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    As your train more often you will become less sore in general as your body gets used to it, till you do something different and shock it hurts again.

I have the some of the worst hip mobility and I've seen great improvement and I don't spend that long stretching at all maybe 5 mins, do warm up sets before going for my rep wights and I'm good to go. I train at a best friends house so we shoot the **** and talk about form so we are usually done in about 1,5hrs, when we don't mess around, it's a solid hour.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I'm starting Stronglifts 5x5 on Monday. It's a full body lifting routine, only 3-4 exercises and works the entire body.

Even without doing this program, full body usually only takes me about 45-60 minutes. Compound lifts are the way to go for this stuff. (Squats, Deadlifts, Presses, etc.). They work multiple muscle groups at once and are very efficient exercises for time and effectiveness.
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    If you've got to the point where a 30 minute workout no longer does what it used to, and it takes 1-2 hours to hit your whole body, split it for sure. Your body adapts over time so you have to mix it up and change the intensity. If you do 30- 60 minutes on particular body parts it'll be a lot more specific and will get a much better result.
    Maybe try Biceps/ Triceps/ Shoulders day 1, Cardio day 2, Abs Day 3, rest day 4, Chest day 5, Back day 6, Cardio/ rest day 7?!?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I do an upper / lower split. It takes less time in the gym than a full body, and suits me well. Plus I like to go to the gym often, if I did full body I wouldn't be able to go 2 days in a row.
  • BeautyFromPain

Well uhhh you've just complained about uhhhh how tired you are and your gym routine is taking too long.

So if I mix it up and do a split it won't take as long?
    Sorry that some people don't want injuries geez.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member

No one workout won't take as long but you will have to go more often to achieve the same full body.
  • BeautyFromPain

No one workout won't take as long but you will have to go more often to achieve the same full body.

I already go 6 days a week, I can just cut back on cardio the other days?
  • TheDoctor90

I already go 6 days a week, I can just cut back on cardio the other days?

But your original question was split v full body because you spend nearly 2 hours in the gym. But you're doing up to 30 minutes of stretching plus warming up and cooling down. So your actual workout is only what...1 hour? 1 hour 15?