Replies

• tamraj
    tamraj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Timely information- thanks!
  • momwithacamera
    momwithacamera Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I have been trying to figure out what to do next, and this is great information to help me as I move forward!
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love intervals - thanks for the post
  • annabanana1786
    annabanana1786 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I like running. And I run long distances. But I don't do just that. I go out and run hills, and pick distances for speed, and all kinds of other things, which is basically interval training. I appreciate articles like this because they encourage people to break out of routines, but on another level, I always get a bit annoyed, because it almost stresses that cardiovascular work should come second to resistance, which I don't necessarily think is true. Balance is the key to any exercise regimen, and you can have both, and your body will adapt. In fact, changing it up and expecting your body to react to intervals AND distance is probably better than just doing intervals, in terms of overall cardiovascular impact, because it creates a more well-rounded athletic performance.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jwlav
    jwlav Posts: 31
    Options
    Great info!
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dianacrum
    dianacrum Posts: 67
    Options
    bump :)
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ouix3
    ouix3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do one of two things to time intervals without a watch. I either do intervals with my ipod- one song fast, one song slow, or I count steps. My hubby thinks counting steps is wack-o, but it keeps my mind off of the pain :) About 200 steps equals a quarter mile for me. Or you just set your sights on an object in the distance and run as fast as you can to it!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump
  • KazzaLee13
    KazzaLee13 Posts: 46
    Options
    Bump :)
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I do one of two things to time intervals without a watch. I either do intervals with my ipod- one song fast, one song slow, or I count steps. My hubby thinks counting steps is wack-o, but it keeps my mind off of the pain :) About 200 steps equals a quarter mile for me. Or you just set your sights on an object in the distance and run as fast as you can to it!

I do the exact same thing I look at a object in the distance and run as fast as I can to it
  • shopewell70
    shopewell70 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I like running. And I run long distances. But I don't do just that. I go out and run hills, and pick distances for speed, and all kinds of other things, which is basically interval training. I appreciate articles like this because they encourage people to break out of routines, but on another level, I always get a bit annoyed, because it almost stresses that cardiovascular work should come second to resistance, which I don't necessarily think is true. Balance is the key to any exercise regimen, and you can have both, and your body will adapt. In fact, changing it up and expecting your body to react to intervals AND distance is probably better than just doing intervals, in terms of overall cardiovascular impact, because it creates a more well-rounded athletic performance.

This is so true. Resistance is important, hill work and intervals are too, but I'm running not only to lose weight/fat , I'm running because I love it and it keeps me fit. So why would I concentrate on intervals and resistance only and do distance only every now and then? My long runs are building my endurance and make me happy. I can run slowly or fast, in intervals with walking every mile or I can run very short tempo runs. This mixture is good enough, I think.