move or born and raised?

Options
2»

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of both. I've moved a lot, and I'm always happy to move and experience new places, but I'm also very loyal to wherever is 'home' at the time.

I like that a new home always brings (or has in my experience) a whole new way of life, but ask me where I come from and it will always be the place I currently am. Nowhere else matters. Of all the people I know, I'm the one who least lives in the past.

That said, I've never liked living anywhere as much as I have my current home. I'm in a nice neighbourhood, plenty of green, fairly affluent, peace and quiet, within easy reach of everything I need. My surroundings include a little town centre with independent shops, a major supermarket for the essentials and lovely pubs and cafes set in beautiful grounds with space to sit outside and enjoy the wildlife. I do love to move, but in a few years I'll be ready to start a family and I honestly would love to raise a child here.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Despite my screen name. I am not from TX, and I would not particularly recommend it (ducking out in closets for tornado season is not my idea of fun!).

I have moved so many times within and out of the country, and, while I have mostly enjoyed moving to new places, I am done. Of all the places I've lived, San Diego is my absolute favorite. This is my 2nd time living here and I will never ever leave again.

Remember, the US would not be so diverse (or nearly so populated), if there weren't people who were up for moving!
  • retriev00
    retriev00 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    With the exception of a couple years I've lived in the same area.

In a couple years, I may get a second home & live out of 2 cities.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    People keep saying "If you have nothing tying you down..." but really, what's that got to do with it? When I was a kid we moved once and that was only about 20 miles away. I'm not going to count moving around during college years from dorms to home to a few apartments as that's all supposed to be transitional. After hubby and I got married we lived in an apartment for 10 months then bought a house about 7 miles away. Kid 1 was born while we lived there. We lived there for 5 years then bought a house about 15 miles away. Kid 2 was born about 10 months after we moved there. We were there for 5 years (That was all in MI) then we moved to AZ where we bought a house and lived there for 4 years. Hubby got a job in Germany so we moved there for 1 1/2 years. When that contract ended he was transferred to VA. We bought a house here and have been here for 1 1/2 years.

Having kids didn't tie us down. Our oldest will be 15 next month. He's lived in 5 houses in 3 states and 2 countries. Our youngest just turned 12. He's lived in 4 houses in 3 states and 2 countries. Hubby's job here is with the government but his position expires in 1 1/2 years. At that point we might stay here if they have another slot for him. Otherwise we'll move again. He's already started looking at positions in Germany and Italy.

Really, if anything, having the kids with us broadened our horizons. Our kids are 15 and 12. They've been to almost half the states and 9-10 countries. Not many kids in the US can say that. It makes it even better for them when they are learning things in school. Kid 1 was recently studying WWII. He's been to Poland, Germany, walked the trail at Bastogne, visited Anne Frank's house, been to France and Austria, had a boy scout summer camp in Nuremberg, etc. It was an easy section for him because he had a real point of reference on all of it. He's also taking German in school. He has 107% in that class.
  • sugarnspicere
    sugarnspicere Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ive lived in Florida and Pennsylvania. I'd love to move away from where I am now. Preferably a different state, but circumstances are not allowing for that. Follow your heart.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I like living all sorts of places, but Colorado will always be home.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    what part of Texas?
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I was born and raised in North Carolina. Live about 45 minutes from you. I hate it and would love to move. The only reason I don't move is because I share custody of my daughter with her father who also lives here.
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think it would be exciting to move and make a fresh start. How exciting!!
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    i don't like moving because of all the packing and such, but i like new places. born in Toronto, moved to Bowmanville, spent most of my early life in England, moved again further east in Ontario and now live North East.
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was born in Louisiana. My parents traveled all over Texas, to Oklahoma, Arkansas, Virginia, and many other states dragging us along. Now.... I do like to travel, but for the most part I like the stability of living in one place after not having that as a child.

I live in Texas now. It is great. :)
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I was raised an Air Force brat, so I hate to move, but like to travel. Having said that, as an adult I've lived in NJ, AL, TN, GA, and NV, and about to move to CO. Maybe it will be my last move..
  • Tskitzo_
    Tskitzo_ Posts: 14
    Options
    I was born and raised in Texas. Moved to Costa Rica, moved back to Texas, and then moved to Pennsylvania to live with my husband. Honestly, I really miss Texas, even though I have friends here, (and new family) I really would love to go back. It's a great state, if you can ignore the idiots (every state has them though). In Texas I moved quite a bit as well, but it was still home.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Born and raised babay!! Right Here in the ****iest part of Cali available!!!

I would love to move....I can't believe what you can get as far as housing and schools for what we pay here.

Good luck!
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Born in Dallas County Texas 50 years and 1 month ago....Still live in Dallas County Texas.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I vote for doing what will make you the happiest. If the job in Texas would be great for your carrier and it's what you like to do at least 51% of the time (not all jobs are wonderful so good a little more than half is a good job!) then go there. Otherwise follow your bliss to the Northwest.

I really wish I had done that when I was younger but then my guess is I would have never met my husband if I had. After meeting him I moved a bunch of times due to job changes. But we are now where we want to retire. We love it here and will do whatever it takes to stay here now. But I don't think we would enjoy this as much if we hadn't moved around.

I think sometimes people who stay where they grew up either have great opportunities there, want their children to enjoy the same life they had growing up, etc. OR they are stuck in a rut and don't have the desire to change. I'm amazed at some of the people I grew up with and how they stayed, got married, had kids.... I'm thinking why would you do that!!! They seem happy and know everyone etc. when I have been gone so long now that I feel like I don't know anyone.

You either have a strong tie to where you grew up or you don't. It's that simple. I do think my relationship with my mother would have been better if I had moved further away from her than I did. My sister moved many states away and had a great relationship.... because it was all happy times when they got to see each other the few times each year.... vs me she saw at least once a month or more. Hind sight is 20/20
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Born n raised in Philly for24 yrs, moved to Charleston, SC for 15 now near August Ga for lsst 2....hope to move to Arizona in nxt yr
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in Minnesota. I transplanted to Florida for a job when I was 24. I did go back to MN for a couple of years, but quickly realized that home wasn't "home" anymore. I'm back in Florida now and totally plan on staying here.
  • FitBlitz
    FitBlitz Posts: 146
    Options
    Born and raised in Oregon. I tried moving out east once, but I missed my rain too much. lol I'm up for moving anywhere currently, but I know I'll likely be back to the northwest to stay. :D
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Born in Germany now living in the Uk, moved over here once before during university... don;t know yet if I stay or move on. Norway is pretty tempting :)