Am I doomed to cry....every single time?

Options
terri0527
terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
When I have to peel an onion? :sad: I have tried every single myth, old wives tale, you name it that I have ever heard and still the tears fall down. What are some of the dumbest things you've done to keep the tears at bay while peeling onions?

Replies

• Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Same for me. I just consider it a good sinus cleansing. :glasses:
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    same here! I can not do it either! My favorite smell in the world is garlic and onion warming in some olive oil. Yummmm! So, I suffer through it. I generally have to cut with my eyes closed. lol

One thing that does help somewhat is to freeze the onion ahead of time. Not days but just hours ahead. Then a super sharp knife.
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I put them in the freezer for about 7 minutes before I chop. No problem here.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well... you could get some of those chemistry goggles that are designed to keep fumes out... but wearing contacts works for me. :)
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    same here! I can not do it either! My favorite smell in the world is garlic and onion warming in some olive oil. Yummmm! So, I suffer through it. I generally have to cut with my eyes closed. lol

Do you still have all of your fingers??? :huh:
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I find that cutting the right end helps instantly, though it's rare I actually peel an onion nowadays. I cut the end off, stab a sharp knife through the centre and twist to cut bits off from the inside, out. So, I'm using the centre of the onion rather than the outer layers, Once I've got the amount I need, the whole remaining onion (skin still intact) goes in the bin.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    throw it in the freezer about 10 minutes before you chop, or keep them in your refrigerator. Something with the cold keeps you from tearing up.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    My grandma always recommended holding a wooden matchstick in your mouth while you're chopping an onion. I don't know why, but it has always worked for me, without fail.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too...sometimes my eyes still hurt/water HOURS later, after lots of hand-washing, etc. It's ridiculous. Several years ago, my mom gave me "onion goggles," but I don't know if they work because they don't fit over my regular glasses and bloody onions don't appeal to me.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I just cut very fast then look away. I also think you get a little used to it later on.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do not cry much anymore...........use an incredibly sharp knife and work fast!!! my onion knife is almost sharp enough for my husband to shave with........

Having sharp knives in my kitchen is kind of a thing with me.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    never had a problem until I stopped wearing contacts.

I had heard having a piece of bread in your mouth but how do you not eat it! LOL

The fridge/freezer method is the other thing I have heard.
  • Lasityttö
    Lasityttö Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You know that hood over your stove? Put that on and cut your onion under it, that works for me.
  • busymomto5PA
    Options
    Contact lenses work for me. But when I wear my glass there it goes waterworks again.
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    In undergrad I had to purchase safety goggles (the kind that seem to suction to your face) for chemistry lab, and now I use those when I chop onions. I haven't had any problems! And my fiance loves to laugh at me when I'm wearing them. (:

Here's what I'm talking about:
    http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/breakroom-cleaning/safety-and-security/eye-care-protection/product-prod3660366?cm_mmc=Googlepla-_-Office Supplies-_-Breakroom and Cleaning-_-Safety and Security&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=22158175&gclid=CMuo0YKqj7ACFWQ0QgodYiejnw
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are doomed. I have tried swim goggles, burning a candle, and the list goes on.

Here are my suggestions to REDUCE the tears (but not get rid of them altogether)

1) Store your onions in the fridge
    2)Use a good sharp knife
    3) Chop fast
  • Stripycat
    Stripycat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Cut off the root end and the pointy top bit first, to a depth of about a centimeter, and throw them in the bin. Once they're out of the way, you should be fine to carry on. I usually then half it from root to tip and slice or dice each half from there. Only very rarely now do I get onion eyes.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I chew mint gum and breathe through my mouth. Works most of the time. Also I cut on the kitchen table which is lower than the counter, and stand straight up so that my olfactory system is as far away from that tearjerker as possible!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    cold onions works for me .. no tears
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options

Do you still have all of your fingers??? :huh:

yep! Cant say I havent gotten close a few times though.