Dried Beans

Options
ldalbello
ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
I thought I would buy dried beans as I can control the sodium. Does anyone else do this and how do you cook them. I bought mine in bulk and have no instructions. Thanks

Replies

• mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I bring water to a boil, put the beans in, let them boil for a minute or two, turn off the heat and then let them soak for an hour. After an hour I drain the water, refill the pot with clean water and beans and cook anywhere from an hour and a half to almost 3 depending on the type of bean.
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks !
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The following website has some information that should be very helpful (gives soaking and cooking times for various kinds of dried beans):

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/driedbeantip.htm
  • heidikat72
    heidikat72 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    the pre-boil step described above is the quickest but if you don't want to do that - you put them in water to soak the night before then drain and proceed as above started with the fresh water
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Crockpot
  • nigel061
    nigel061 Posts: 109
    Options
    Crockpot

Not sure if I am right, but some dried beans need to be boiled to destroy lectins that can cause bad stomach upsets - crockpots don't reach this high temperature I recall.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker is the way to go with these. Just put the beans in the pot, fill with water, and let them cook on low for 7-8 hours until they are soft and edible. We use beans as side dishes for dinner every week. They are great.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Crockpot

Not sure if I am right, but some dried beans need to be boiled to destroy lectins that can cause bad stomach upsets - crockpots don't reach this high temperature I recall.

I have done that before (boil them first)...but I always was thinking I was speeding up the process...Good not know Thanks!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Can you do the same thing with dry split peas....I have a couple of bags of those & I love split pea soup in the can but wanted to try to make it on my own...
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Crockpot

I heard this too and lived in fear of dried kidney beans for years. I still buy tinned ones now.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Can you do the same thing with dry split peas....I have a couple of bags of those & I love split pea soup in the can but wanted to try to make it on my own...

Yes.

I make split pea soup in the crock pot. Similar recipe to this:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotsoup/r/bl17c5.htm
  • Senestrorsum
    Senestrorsum Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Wash and sort through dried beans (sometimes small pebbles are in the bag). I use my Mum's way of cooking beans, perfect for a busy life. Cover with boiling water and add a heavy pinch of ground ginger.(Ginger takes out some of the gasiness from the beans) Let soak for a minimum of an hour, but this is easier if done the night before. In the morning drain and rinse the beans. Put beans in either the crock of a crock pot or a dutch oven with a tight lid. Add around a cup and a half of veggie broth or water to the pot, a quartered onion, a couple smashed cloves of garlic and whatever seasonings you like. I use salt, pepper and marjoram. Cook on low all day in the crock pot, or in a 275 oven if you're using a dutch oven. Perfectly tender beans every time without worry of them burning.
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This is how I do my black beans...--. Soak over night, drain then pressure cooker for 15 to 20 minutes.... done
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Thank you! I've added that site to my favourites. :smile:
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Lots of Beans can be poisonous if cooked incorrectly. Be very careful. With Kidney beans for example they have to be soaked for a minimum of 8 hours and then boiled for at least 10 minutes. Be very careful of using them in a slow cooker. If the temperature doesn't get above 80 degrees Celcius they can get even more toxic.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Lots of Beans can be poisonous if cooked incorrectly. Be very careful. With Kidney beans for example they have to be soaked for a minimum of 8 hours and then boiled for at least 10 minutes. Be very careful of using them in a slow cooker. If the temperature doesn't get above 80 degrees Celcius they can get even more toxic.

For kidney beans in the crock pot, I usually cook them on high instead of low. The water is boiling in the pot this way.

Good to point this out though.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Rinse in colander, check for foreign objects, place beans in pot or bowl, add water to about 2 inches above beans, soak over night. In the morning discard the water ( unless you enjoy tooting) add fresh water to cover, about 2 inches should do, you can add more as the beans absorb the water during the cooking process. Place pot on stove, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for a couple of hours or beans are soft enough for your liking. Eat them, yum. Toot toot! Have fun. Freeze any leftovers that you can't use. :wink:
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Crockpot

Yes, red kidney beans (actually this might be for the white kidney beans as well) must be pre-soaked (5 hours) and boiled for at least 10 minutes prior to putting in the crock pot. All others are fine to go right into the crock pot
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options

If you are making homemade pea soup you really don't need to pre-soak.

In the bottom of a dutch oven I carmelize onions and brown some ham if I've got some .
    Then add water and scrap up all of the yummy brown gooeyness on the bottom of the pot.
    Add a bag of peas then
    Add water (about 4-8 cups I start with the peas covered by and 1" or so and add more as it cooks)
    cover and cook over a low heat stirring every 15 -20 minutes so they don't stick .
    Add water as necessary to get the consistency you like

If you like chunks of veg in your soup, you can add celery, carrots and potatoes, about an hour before the soup is done
    If you like you soup thick, but not chunky add them early and they'll break down and be come part of soup.

My favorite part is the croutons...