Am I doomed to cry....every single time?

Options

Replies

• Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    You need to find onions that are more sensitive to your feelings. :-P

But seriously, I once heard a chef say to cut them under water. Never tried though.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm all for giving it a few minutes in the freezer before cutting as well.

There are a great many things in this world that inspire tears... I don't need to have onions on that list too
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    In undergrad I had to purchase safety goggles (the kind that seem to suction to your face) for chemistry lab, and now I use those when I chop onions. I haven't had any problems! And my fiance loves to laugh at me when I'm wearing them. (:

Here's what I'm talking about:
    http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/breakroom-cleaning/safety-and-security/eye-care-protection/product-prod3660366?cm_mmc=Googlepla-_-Office Supplies-_-Breakroom and Cleaning-_-Safety and Security&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=22158175&gclid=CMuo0YKqj7ACFWQ0QgodYiejnw

LOL! I've never thought of that! I still have mine from chemistry, I'm gonna try this today.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    When I have to peel an onion? :sad: I have tried every single myth, old wives tale, you name it that I have ever heard and still the tears fall down. What are some of the dumbest things you've done to keep the tears at bay while peeling onions?

Have you tried wearing swimming goggles whilst dealing with onions? It'll stop the thing spraying into your eyes when you cut it.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    basically when you cut an onion sulfur vapors are released in the air and mix with the liquid in your eyes to form sulfuric acid. thats why it burns and you cry.

Me? I don't cry. EVER. I think it is genetic or something. I have no idea.
  • amplahitko
    amplahitko Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    All you have yo do is not breathe through your nose while cutting. Breathe through your mouth and your eyes won't tear up.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a mini chopper. Whenever I cut things like onion, garlic, bell pepper or anything that that I put it in the mini chopper and I freeze a good bit to use later. I do cry when I smell the onion but at least in the chopper its very quick!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The trick is to cut the root end out, and with it, the bulb inside
    http://www.gardenwife.com/how-to-cut-onions-without-tears/
  • mollsred06
    mollsred06 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    wear swimming goggles. lol
  • nabooru1017
    nabooru1017 Posts: 10
    Options
    -Hold matchstick in mouth (unlit)
    -Chew gum
    -Run to boyfriend with tears in eyes for instant fun
  • hdmamma09
    hdmamma09 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Put your onion in freezer 20-30 minutes before chopping. See if that helps...
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Fridge or freezer, as posted here by several others. Works like a charm.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I learned from an Alton Brown cooking show to cut an onion near an open flame. I chop mine next to a burner on my stove. Apparently it oxidizes the chemicals released from the onion...or something along those lines. It works wonders for me.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Purposely stepping on an upturned plug before cutting onions helps. If only because you're already crying when you start cutting. :D
  • lisars135
    lisars135 Posts: 19
    Options
    I use the spoon method and it works. You hold a spoon upside down tightly in your mouth with a good amount of pressure. My mom told me this a long time ago and it's always worked for me.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    My mom bought me a food processor for Christmas and ever since then, it's been tear free! You can find them pretty cheap, I have a black and decker that was about $25.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Swim goggles do work, but that is kind of a pain. Just try and cut them up faster, just be careful. I can get through a half an onion pretty damn quickly at this point, and my eyes don't start stinging until after I am done.

I've got some tips for safe onion chopping here, http://tinyurl.com/6vgfb25
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I wear contacts and it helps. When I would wear one contacts, that eye (without the contact) would tear up.
  • superstankazz
    superstankazz Posts: 193
    Options
    Use Vidalia onions. They have more sugar and a lot less sulfur. The sulfur fumes are what burns your eyes. I have never cut into a vidalia that burned my eyes. Hope this helps:)
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this problem in a long time. But, I used to, and cutting it under cold running water cured it. Something about the 'fumes" that make you cry, being washed away before they can reach your eyes.