Any other naturals here?

Options

Replies

• InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to realize what you were talking about. This sounds like most people color treat or otherwise chemically treat their hair? I have colored my hair from time to time, but usually just highlights to camoflauge the gray or occasionally a wash out coloring product. Now that I have a lot more gray, I use henna to cover my gray and give my hair a strong red tone. The bonus is that it is good for my hair. I will probably never give in to the gray and will use the henna until I'm all gray (the gray hairs dye popsicle orange...fine as highlights, but not a good all over look).

I henna'd my hair before. Made it a lot stronger but weighed down my curl pattern :sad:
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I've been dying my hair blond w/highlights since I was 16.. I'm 23 now and have no intention of stopping. Naturally my hair is brown, and I think it looks ugly on me... hence the dye job!

I also have really curly hair that I straighten if I have the time.. but for the most part, I wear it curly and rinse in-between washes.

Seeing as you have curly hair, I would advise using a sulfate free shampoo and co-washing. Also, instead of combing or brushing, detangle your hair wet, saturated in conditioner and GENTLY. Do you let it air dry?
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Some more gorgeous natural hair;

7233658938_ed1c1baa53.jpg

7233644520_0b2e1160ed.jpg

7233653284_a5687282c1.jpg

7233653124_c7bdf7489e.jpg
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I was a platinum blond. The older I get the darker it gets. No grey so I am not coloring it yet!!
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've never dyed, tinted, streaked or done anything to color my hair. My hair is be poker straight, and my mom permed it a few times when I was a child back in the 50's and 60's, but I hated that, so usually any curl was from sleeping in rag curls or foam rollers if we wanted it curled for special occasions. Now that the greys (err...platinum blondes) are coming in fast and furious, those are coming in curly for some reason, so on humid days my hair actually appears to get wavy as the curly ones influence the straight ones. I wear it long, almost waist length, and while most people can't tell the color change while its hanging down, if I pull the ends up to the top of my head you can see a big difference between the cut ends and the hair up top. I don't intend to color it, I plan to go gracefully grey, so as I trim off the ends every six months, the people who see me every day won't notice any difference.
  • Lwillis1234
    Lwillis1234 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    I've been natural for about a year and a half now!! it has been a struggle, but i'm learning along the way! :)
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I used to be natural...

Now I have three colours of highlights, and a hot pink streak... and my hair needs to be straightened almost every day in this hairstyle.

I can't wait for the style to grow out, though.
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Natural for ten years. I had locks for eight of those chopped lock and went to curly from in 2009.
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    I used to dye my hair all the time. It's been every shade from light brown to black (mistake) and fire engine reds, turquoise, purple, etc. I don't dye it anymore unless I use Manic Panic which is natural and semi-permanent. I don't use heat on it either, ever. I might blow dry it once every three months but that's it. No brushes either! I get out of the shower, run my fingers or a wide-tooth comb through it, and fluff if up. This is how it looks:

grodyn.jpg

Ignore my stupid mouth, I was laughing.
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Yup the fro is alllll me baby.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I haven't been natural in 17 years, I had so many greys by age 16 that i've been coloring my hair since then. Did it at home for the first 15 years and now found someone good (and not too expensive) to do it for me. My hair is in really good shape. One day, when i'm older, i'll probably go back to natural.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I dye the sweet hell out of my hair (I re-dyed it this morning) to make it a vibrant bright red but that's it. I don't style it, I haven't cut it for almost a year, just wash it and let nature do the rest.

Not a clue what anyone is on about with hair types/codes though. That's all gone straight over my head.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I dyed my hair in my late teens, early twenties then stopped for years until my grey hair really started getting out of hand (started going grey at 16) now I dye it about 1 shade darker than my natural colour.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Natural for 2 years! I'll post pics some other time
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    hair crushes

7233658458_584dcb3126.jpg

It's well worth it ladies ;)

OMG!!!! I have the hugest hair crush on this one!!! and troy polamalu!!!!

they all have super fabulous hair!!!!!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I never dyed my hair until about a year ago. I have strawberry blonde hair that I actually like the color of- but last summer I dyed it blonde in the front, which trashed the texture of my hair. Then I tried to dye it back to the natural color so I could stop dying it all together, and my hair started breaking really bad where it had been blonde. My hair was so ruined that I tried chemically straightening it (japanese straightening) to try and calm down the frizzy broken areas. Finally, my hair broke off completely in big chunks in the front.l Gaahhhh! I let it grow a little bit and then went and had it all cut off in February. Start Fresh.

So yeah, my new hair is all natural now!
  • JadedSouls
    JadedSouls Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've only had my hair dyed once professionally to a bright red - I'm naturally a brunette/auburn that shows reddish when in sunlight..

I've used store bought dye 1-2x but always been red colors..

I never use hair products on my hair other than shampoo/conditioner and have used a hairdryer about 5x in the last 10yrs.. damages the hair too much!

Last time I dyed my hair was 2 summers ago - I need a haircut tho since right now it's down to my bottom!
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've been trying really really hard to not put a relaxer in my hair and just let it grow natural. My hair is similar to yours except wayyy frizzier. I can't deal!
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to realize what you were talking about. This sounds like most people color treat or otherwise chemically treat their hair? I have colored my hair from time to time, but usually just highlights to camoflauge the gray or occasionally a wash out coloring product. Now that I have a lot more gray, I use henna to cover my gray and give my hair a strong red tone. The bonus is that it is good for my hair. I will probably never give in to the gray and will use the henna until I'm all gray (the gray hairs dye popsicle orange...fine as highlights, but not a good all over look).

I henna'd my hair before. Made it a lot stronger but weighed down my curl pattern :sad:

LOL...I don't have to worry about my curl pattern! I wish.
  • maryaroy32
    maryaroy32 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's beautiful