Food that take a long time to eat

Options
Hi lovely MFP people!
I've realized that I eat as a background activity. It also takes me a really long time to realize that I'm full.
My brilliant solutions to solve both of these problems is to find a food that takes a long time to eat. My usual go-to food has been pomegranates, which are godly and worked well. Now that it's not pomegranate season, I'm at a loss.
Any suggestions?
Thanks and you all are amazing. :)

Replies

• ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    a whole steamed Artichoke takes forever.. the only down side is avoiding using butter.
  • jiggy_gibby
    jiggy_gibby Posts: 197
    Options
    Salad- chew, baby, chew! :)
  • Spudeata
    Spudeata Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Corn on the cob, frozen grapes or a big varied plate of salad to go with some protein.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Oranges? Peeling and getting all the pith off.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    a whole steamed Artichoke takes forever.. the only down side is avoiding using butter.

Love whole artichokes! Agree, just don't even get the butter out!
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I'm really bad at using chopsticks, so sometimes I eat with them because it takes forever.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    And how about nuts still in the shell? 1 serving is actually pretty filling, and by the time you've shelled them all, it's going to be forever!:laugh: (I'm thinking almonds, pecans, etc, not peanuts)
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Whatever you eat, eat it with chopsticks. :)

That will take you awhile. Especially with rice or peas.

Edited to mention that I bought several sets of stainless steel chopsticks online last year for this purpose.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Use a shrimp fork for everything! Also, popcorn eaten piece by piece has a good calorie to hand movement ratio. lol & any raw veges are good too.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Edamame still in the shell. I put a little braggs aminos on it, delish snack. And it takes time to pop them out of the shells.
  • burnt_irish1
    burnt_irish1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! I love Air popped popcorn w/o butter (you can buy the popper for about 20bucks) or cut up cumbers, broccoli, onions, etc and dip in hummus.
  • mkrainville7409
    mkrainville7409 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oranges (peal and eat - not slice) Because you have to peel off the skin and then individually pull out the sections and eat them... mmmm
  • Nuttytart2012
    Nuttytart2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh the chopsticks sound like a great idea!
    Gonna have to get me some chopsticks :-)
  • ElizaGeorge
    ElizaGeorge Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My favorite is sunflower seeds still in the shell! They replace chips most of the time for me! Takes forever to eat (perfect if you're watching a movie at home) and are so delicious!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I like to peel grapefruits and eat them one section at a time - by pealing the membrane of the section away and dipping the yummy bits of grapefruit in a tiny bit of sugar/splenda..I really enjoy them better that way than eating cut in half and scooping out with a spoon..have done that since a teennager.

Also for yogurt or pudding I like to use the long tea spoons in my drawer, they are a bit smaller and I get to savor each tiny bite.
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    Anything in pieces or that requires a spoon. Instead of biting an apple, cut it into slices first. Same goes for bananas. Low-fat yogurt or oatmeal is also a good choice.

And of course... try eating with chopsticks. :P I've done this many times because A) It's fun and B) Food takes three times as long to eat even if you're pretty good at using them!