Should I attempt a Zumba class?

Options

Replies

• IdahoDino
    IdahoDino Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do it! I love Zumba! I have been doing it for like 3 years now... it is a fun filled hour and an Awesome stress reliever! It is "my dessert" after a hard day :)
  • IdahoDino
    IdahoDino Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! It is invigorating for mind, body and spirit!

:)

^^Double Ditto^^
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    make sure you bring your SO, the more support the better.
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have never been and have always thought to myself, "there is NO WAY my chunky, clumsy, uncoordinated self is going to Zumba". Well, there happens to be a class tomorrow at my gym... It's the only class on saturdays and I think I'm going to go!
  • queenbcronen
    Options
    I went! there was only 3 people in the class since it was a saturday morning. I looked rediculous but it was okay and man, do you burn through the calories!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Only 3? Wow. We have 15-40 per class. Small class but I bet you had fun! It is a great burn!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Zumba was the first group exercise class I tried and it was great!! I completely lack coordination, but ZUmba is still fun. Definitely give it a shot. Every dance can be modified to suit your fitness level. Just introduce yourself to the instructor before class and let her know it is your first class.

As a general rule, people are very self-centered. So, no matter how goofy you look at the gym, other people are so focused on how goofy or great THEY look that they really don't even notice what you are doing.
  • anku08
    anku08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i tried zumba for like 3 weeks but to no results...
    was i doing something wrong or is it the body's reaction??

Between do join zumba it's lots of fun... i have my friends who have joined it and have lost weight... I dnt know what my body wants..
  • queenbcronen
    Options
    Only 3? Wow. We have 15-40 per class. Small class but I bet you had fun! It is a great burn!
    I think it's because it was a saturday morning class. The weekly evening classes are usually packed! I did get a great burn. Shoulders and back are sore today! :)
  • fernanda78
    fernanda78 Posts: 40
    Options
    Omg!!! I'm starting zumba classes on Tuesday. I'm so nervous..don't know what to expect. Thanks for the details. Going (to attempt) to go 5 days a week.:embarassed:
  • fernanda78
    fernanda78 Posts: 40
    Options
    Great advise. I hope everyone is so into themselves..I won't be noticed...lol
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Didn't read everyone's answers. My suggestion is to search for a Zumba video on YouTube. I did that and followed along at home to test it out before going to a class. I then attended a class at my gym. I am not a fan of it. I didn't enjoy it as much as others do. I am sticking with kickboxing. :)
  • saxnviolin
    saxnviolin Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Definitely go for it! It's so much fun and trust me, nobody will be staring at you!
    You just get yourself a good spot where you can see the instructor and do your best.
    Key is- Don't stop moving! Have a great time!
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Try dragging a friend along so you can laugh together when you mess up! That's what I do!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyone looks ridiculous doing zumba. You don't need to be a good dancer to do zumba, you just need to keep moving. After a few classes you learn the moves pretty well too, and look a little more coordinated.

Honestly, sometimes you just have to push yourself out of your comfort zone to make progress. Think of it as a growing experience. Not only will you be exercise, which is good for you body, you'll be working towards getting more comfortable in your own skin, which is just as important as losing the weight (if not more so).
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Dont worry I danced for almost all my life and even I sometimes look crazy in zumba trying to get it together.. ITS FUN and EVERYONE is having a good time. If you cant do a move JUST KEEP DANCING
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I tried it after being mainly stationary for many, many years. Nearly killed me, the first class.

It gets better though. Drink a lot of water and stretch.

You should attempt almost anything (that may be good for you) once, just to see if you might like it, as long as you're physically okay to do so (doctor gives the green light.)

Good luck!

~katie
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Yes...Love Zumba my advice is first time work in the middle....therefore you can try to grasp the fun steps...and you won't have everyone looking at you if you mess up on the first time just a little..but you will get it in no time and love it!
  • blasiansrus
    blasiansrus Posts: 151
    Options
    Try it! It's so fun once you finally get into it. Yes, it'll probably be a bit embarrassing at first when you don't know the moves, but that 's completely normal. Just do your best & have fun :) Don't be afraid of messing up & if moves are too advanced for you or you feel uncomfortable with a move, modify it!
    After a few times going, I finally warmed up to zumba & I'm so glad I started doing it:)
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on anyone but yourself (well, and the instructor). LOL The most important thing is to just keep moving . . . even if you are just walking/marching in place until you can get back into the steps. Everyone has to start somewhere so just don't give up!

Best wishes :flowerforyou: