Does a cold shower really burn calories?

Options
Your body has to burn calories to get its temperature back up to normal, so it would make sense that it did. But how many does it burn?

Replies

• ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    really stretching to get a couple extra calories burnt??? lol
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Likely not enough to make it count unless you go into hypothermia so you're better off having a nice warm shower and just working out.
  • fletchilicious
    Options
    it also allegedly boosts testosterone levels
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Burrrr, I'd rather work out and sweat my a** off to burn the calories then to ever even turn the cold water on.. (which I never do)
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I heard this on Dr Oz! lol
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Your body has to burn calories to get its temperature back up to normal, so it would make sense that it did. But how many does it burn?

0.000000000005 calories per decade.

I don't think you should consider it burned calories, it's in your best interest not to.
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I dont think it burns calories as much as it 'prevents' your body from getting into a relaxed type of state. This is a trick a few girls I hung out with used to do...it didnt really do much for them lol. BUT I know using cold water after the shower helps to close your pores and tighten your skin =D so not such a bad idea.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Hahaha. Even if it does, it would not be anything significant to actually think about. Otherwise I think I would be taking several cold showers a day! XD
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You burn some calories, especially if you get cold enough to shiver and get goose bumps, both of which burn up lots of calories. But most people don't stay in a cold shower that long unless it's really hot outside, in which case your metabolism is lower than normal all the time you aren't in the shower.

Swimming tends to use up more. Even though the water may be warmer, the amount of heat loss is large with your entire body immersed.

You use a lot of calories working or exercising outdoors on a cool day. When you get warm enough that you have to take off a layer of clothing, you know you're burning extra calories.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options

It depends on if you're alive or not. If you're alive, you'll burn calories while freezing in your shower. If you're dead you will not. I prefer to burn calories while doing things such as breathing, watching television, and cutting my toenails.

On a more serious note, I wouldn't put too much effort into showering yourself skinny. Yeah, your body will need to burn cals to maintain body temps but I'd rather go for a walk or play catch with my kids, either of which would burn more cals than freezing myself in a shower.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Depends on what other activities you get up in the shower...

but generally no.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

but generally no.

FTW!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

but generally no.
    yup. shower with a friend and then you can count it as cardio. :)
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

but generally no.

omw.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You use a lot of calories working or exercising outdoors on a cool day. When you get warm enough that you have to take off a layer of clothing, you know you're burning extra calories.

This was extremely helpful. Thanks for posting.
  • killersushi13
    killersushi13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The theory for it is that it lowers your body temp so your body burns calories to try and make it regulate again.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options

but generally no.
    yup. shower with a friend and then you can count it as cardio. :)

This!
  • Caitella
    Caitella Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is just hilarious!
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I shower with a friend. I find it burns more calories and my back gets a nice scrubbing.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    This is a bit of a stretch dont ya think