Setup Polar HRM for more accurate calorie burn for known BMR

Options

Replies

• GinaKB12
    GinaKB12 Posts: 12
    Options
    Ok, I just want to make sure I understand this. I have a Polar FT60 that I want to put the new information in. I'm currently 37 Before BMR: 1470, After BMR: 1531, New age: 24. I'm planning on doing the Step Test when I get home. So I would just plug the new age, the MHR from the step test and the VO2max into the HRM??? Also, to calculate the VO2max I just use the MHR from the step test with the calculations on the link for the VO2max? I appreciate you putting the link to this topic on my op. I was wondering why I wasn't losing any weight. This information is priceless!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just want to make sure I understand this. I have a Polar FT60 that I want to put the new information in. I'm currently 37 Before BMR: 1470, After BMR: 1531, New age: 24. I'm planning on doing the Step Test when I get home. So I would just plug the new age, the MHR from the step test and the VO2max into the HRM??? Also, to calculate the VO2max I just use the MHR from the step test with the calculations on the link for the VO2max? I appreciate you putting the link to this topic on my op. I was wondering why I wasn't losing any weight. This information is priceless!!

You got the right idea.
    Still do the step one for estimating max HR. And if you've ever seen a workout with peak higher than that, add 5 to your peak for better max HR estimate.

And since you have a HRM where you can change the VO2max to better estimate, I found a more accurate method for that VO2max test. Well, not the true max test, but the submaximal max test.

So more accurate VO2max estimate. Since you got calculator out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/577839-hrm-s-with-vo2max-stat-improve-calorie-estimate&nbsp
  • justdoit_steph
    Options
    bump
  • GinaKB12
    GinaKB12 Posts: 12
    Options
    Cool! thanks so much for responding back!!
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KatM2014
    KatM2014 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rob021880
    rob021880 Posts: 28
    Options
    thanks.
  • bfairbanks1982
    bfairbanks1982 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Huh? Will read again later and maybe then it will not give me a headache. I am sure there is good information here.
  • cjv428
    cjv428 Posts: 124
    Options
    Saving this for when my HRM arrives!
  • HoneyRiot
    HoneyRiot Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump for later...getting one soon! :)
  • workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
  • MommaSchwag
    MommaSchwag Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I will try making these adjustments and see how this affects my weight loss. I only have another 7 lbs to go to my goal weight. Will try for 2 weeks and see what the difference is. Thanks again!
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I will try making these adjustments and see how this affects my weight loss. I only have another 7 lbs to go to my goal weight. Will try for 2 weeks and see what the difference is. Thanks again!

many seem to miss the 2nd more important half to that post - maxHR influences calorie burn estimate even more.
  • sweetpea1ss
    Options
    i need help people i got a ft4 yesterday an i did 1hr on treadmill incline of 4-10 an speed of 3 it said 407 cals burned?? my timex would have said 700-900 burned that is a huge diff what should i do??? Help
  • heybales
    Options
    i need help people i got a ft4 yesterday an i did 1hr on treadmill incline of 4-10 an speed of 3 it said 407 cals burned?? my timex would have said 700-900 burned that is a huge diff what should i do??? Help

What was your avg HR today compared to other days. If same speed and incline, you would expect to get better at it, meaning lower HR, meaning less effort, meaning less calorie burn.

If your Timex is like mine, it asked for age, weight, maxHR. No gender, and that's a pretty big difference. And I think maxHR is only used to set the zones, not used calorie count.

Polar gets more info and uses it. Hence the reason I switched awhile back.

Now, it can still be off, because it is still guessing at maxHR, which is pretty important stat for better estimates of calorie burn.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/466973-i-want-to-test-for-my-max-heart-rate-vo2-max
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    woah! Hit a new Maximum heart rate this weekend. Was 193 but I got a 219! I was exercising in my living room and it was a hotter day than we typically get here in the UK. It was only a 23 minute session to one of The Firm's DVDs although it was hard work with some plyometrics which always make my heart pound in my head :laugh:

I'm 43, so I'm quite surprised it could get that high!
    Now, do I reset my max HR to 224 on my Polar, or do you think 219 could be a fluke?
  • heybales
    Options
    woah! Hit a new Maximum heart rate this weekend. Was 193 but I got a 219! I was exercising in my living room and it was a hotter day than we typically get here in the UK. It was only a 23 minute session to one of The Firm's DVDs although it was hard work with some plyometrics which always make my heart pound in my head :laugh:

I'm 43, so I'm quite surprised it could get that high!
    Now, do I reset my max HR to 224 on my Polar, or do you think 219 could be a fluke?

If that's what the HRM read as peak in the post-workout stats, I'd say fluke.
    If you saw it go up to that and hit that and slowly come back down, I'd trust it.

Ah, the Firm, I remember my mom getting those 25 yrs ago, pretty intense at that time and I'd rather have done jogging or weights for something easier.
  • stacie48
    stacie48 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Interesting ...bump