• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Mimi!!!!

I hope you have an awesome day.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Michele – I have the Flex Edge blade and my machine is the Artisan model. I know you can adjust the height of the bowl, as Sally mentioned, but I never could get mine just right. It was either hitting the bowl too hard with the beater, or leaving cookie dough glued to the sides of the bowl, so I gave up and got the beater.

Mimi – Happy birthday!

Loved the gym couples idea; that was a great solution! I am a gym member too but ours is very cheap, so I don't have to get as creative as you. I get a senior discount too – have you asked if your gym has one as well?

Jane – In addition to what other have mentioned, melatonin is good for helping you get to sleep. That was a major problem for me. I didn't use any HRT and made it through menopause with the help of melatonin and the products others have listed.

I'm trying really really hard to get back in the groove here. I think I'm about there mentally. You know, I think I have been reluctant to lose lately. I've been trying to dissect just what my problem has been and I think I was afraid of being able to maintain a smaller weight. Now that I have been this weight for a while, 20-30 pounds smaller than I was, I think I'm ready to find a new smaller me.

It's strange I should feel this way because I was in denial that I was as big as I had gotten until I saw a picture of myself in a swimsuit. I had been quite inactive the previous year due to a very bad foot injury and wow did that ever show up in the photo. :frown:

Where I am now is where I was before the injury, but I need to get another 30 or more off to be healthy. The remaining weight has been with me for so long that it seems odd to get rid of it, but I think I'm ready to find the old me under here.

This is a mental process more than a physical one it seems. :ohwell:

Time to get off the computer and move. Hope you all have a great weekend. :bigsmile:

Faye
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Having a great long weekend. The weather is perfect! And it's nice having my girl home with me. She has a friend who lives down the road from us who is big time into fishing so she went out kayak fishing with her friend. She didn't catch anything but did catch a huge frog. How do you post a picture in this forum?

This morning we headed out early for a run but it was hot hot already. I was sweating buckets. I'm feeling sad that I have to drive her back to Toronto tomorrow. :cry:
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I copied the code but it still won't work...anything I'm missing.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

It’s a warm Sunday here & most relaxing because we have Monday off too. It’s the official town celebration “Blossom Festival” this weekend. Yesterday was the parade and the farmer’s market, today the antique car show & shine, tomorrow the airport open house. Such excitement. We’d usually go to our cabin at the lake, but I can’t do much there from a wheelchair or on crutches, so we are staying home.

I definitely jumped off the wagon yesterday. :grumble: Lunch at the pub (Greek salad & chicken donair, a pint of beer) was fun with friends and not too bad, but the wine and the peanut butter sandwiches in the evening were not a good choice! (No, I did not wash down the sandwiches with wine, it was more like the wine reduced my desire to resist the temptation to have a late night snack.) The MFP elves pointed out that I’d weigh 8 more pounds that I do now if I kept eating like that every day. No wonder I got fat! So, sprinting to catch up and hauling myself back on to the wagon today …

Faye, I definitely struggle with the snack free evening (see above!) :devil: and sometimes just go to bed to resist temptations.

Amanda, I love the ring story, and your DH sounds like a treasure. :heart:

Rachel – walking in place while watching TV – that’s creative commitment! :drinker:

Mimi, good job joining the gym. I’ll bet you find lots of interesting ways to stay fit and active.

Michelle, two websites & podcasts I get really good cooking tips are “Cooks Illustrated” (they explain the science behind the baking) and “The Splendid Table”. They might have an answer for your brownie question.

Always Nancy, I envy you having your girl home for the weekend. Mine is all the way over in Vancouver (12 hour drive) so I don’t see her often. She never was a “hang around with Mum” type, but we do have some good fun together, and I miss her.

Oh do do de do…time to wheel myself down the hallway and choose something charming to wear to the antique car show. It has to fit over the robo-boot and not get to crumpled in the chair. I’ll be at eye level with the hubcaps, so it will be a novel kind of experience this year. DH is trolling Ebay for an old car of his own and has a nibble from an owner in Illinois. That could be an interesting road trip!

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday, Ladies!

Just got home from our weekend away...wonderful fun with old friends, but I am tired. :yawn: I realize now that I have been doing all of the driving for DH since his back surgery, what a tiring thing it can be! I am honestly thinking of a nap right now...something I very seldom do! Didn't do very well with my eating...too many temptations all over the counter tops and my friend is an awesome cook. I did make our lunch yesterday and it was healthy, had baked fist that the husbands caught off the dock for dinner, but it was the little nibbles here and there that I am mad at myself about:...(and the extra glass of wine here and there!!!) angry: :angry: BUT...I've been very good today and have everything together for a healthy dinner tonight, so back on track right away!:tongue:

Mary: (Mimi) HAPPY Happy Birthday:flowerforyou: I hope this is a great year for you. The pond sounds wonderful and your house full of puppies & dogs & grandchildren even better:-)

Amanda: Love, support and diamonds from DH make for a very perfect combination!

Jane: Hope you get everything evened out. It's worth experimenting with a few herbal remedies...the ones mentioned all sound worthwhile, just be careful not to mix too many things together. They are still "medicines" and can have unexpected interactions. Perhaps ask your doctor and/or PT what he/she would suggest you start with. I would certainly talk to your primary doctor about the issue when you next have an appointment. Exercise seems to be the one thing that is most effective for me with mood and sleep as well as being outside a good part of each day. But I did take Black cohash some years ago when my periods were out of wack in order to regulate them and it worked. (That's why I would talk to Dr. before starting something like that)

Gotta go shut eyes for a bit:yawn: :yawn:

Take care, all:heart: Kackie
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Mimi xx
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Mimi hope it was a good one.
    Thanks for all the suggestions for menopausal symptoms.Have a appt with the gyn dr tomorrow and tues with the primary care.So will ask both.I have to watch the supplements as I take other medication as well.
    Hope everyone had a good week-end.
    Had such a nice time yesterday with family.Got a new brag book for the new baby coming in Oct and her or his 1st ultrasound pic.
    How exciting!!
    HUGS
    jane
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of training games on the Wii today, tomorrow I'll do a little bit of yoga and then take the extremepump class.

Made the brownies in the KitchenAid. One definite advantage to this flat beater is that there isn't as much for me to "clean off" (meaning it gets cleaned by me and then in the mouth....lol). I didn't have a problem with the ingredients getting mixed enough, so it's just that I didn't use a high enough speed last time. I guess I never USED the mixers at the high school, I only got them out/put them away but when I had the other beaters, I could usually move the beaters a bit out of the way so I could add the flour, etc. Now with the KA you really can't do that. Guess it's just something that I'm going to have to get used to. "Speed 2, speed 4, speed 6" when do you know which speed to use? I made them with only one egg and instead of the walnuts I used chocolate chips. Here I am -- just getting used to this and ALREADY I'm modifying the recipes...lol

Faye - a couple of the reviews said that the fins of the side swipe either came off or severly cracked. If it had only been one reviewer, I would have chalked it up to that person having mis-used it, but not more than one. So that's one's out for sure. the flex Edge looks good. Only thing is that it says that it's for a 4.5 qt bowl (which I have) but it doesn't specify the model number(s). I might wait until tomorrow and call KA customer service to inquire if it does fit. I really don't like ordering things that I have to return

Happy birthday mimi! Hope you have a big party of veggies....lol (while you're at it, have a glass of wine to go with them) WTG girl on joining a gym! Have you ever taken a water aerobics class before? I find that when I workout in the water, I honestly don't feel like I'm doing anything at the time. But the next day......................... Sometimes I swear that those instructors are in cahoots with the people who install the bars around the toilets.....lol The good part is that you don't want to get up to go into the kitchen to get something to eat, tho. another advantage is that it's good for the keigel muscle ("I REALLY don't want to go to the bathroom, I REALLY don't want to go".) One time I had a hot flash in the pool...good place to have one if you're going to have one.

Nancy - thanks for the suggestioni of the websites. I'm going to check them out right now. Pretty soon you'll be in shorts and won't have to worry about something to wear that fits over the roboboot! When we were selling Bryan's car (we're in NC) someone from Ohio wanted to buy it, they said that they'd send a truck etc for it. It sounded like a scam so we didn't pursue it. Hope things work out for your hubby. People who sell on eBay are usually pretty decent, so he shouldn't have any problem. But Craigslist! We will be selling some fish aquariums and pumps on there, but they are light enough and small enough to fit in the back of our Outlook so we'll take them to a parking lot somewhere to let the person see them rather than have the prospective buyer come here. We couldn't do that with Bryan's car because his car was a manual and neither of us feels confident enough to drive it anywhere. I must say that whenever someone came to look at the car, Vince ALWAYS had a gun with him (he has a concealed carry permit). Just checked out Cooks Illustrated site. In order to gain access to the videos and review or equipment, it appears you had to take out a membership to the tune of $35/year. Honestly, I don't think I'd use it enough to justify that expense. However, I did sign up for a free issue of the magazine. It sure looks like one that I got a Whole Foods once and thought was really great but was unable to order it. If it's not the one I'm thinking of, I'll just write "cancel" on the invoice.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • bp716
    bp716 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Mimi!

Jane, you are very smart to talk to your docs about adding herbals- hope there is a combination that will work for you.

I am seeing more and more how working nights is a problem for my health, just need to balance that with the financial aspects of giving up shift diff that is 10%. Did get my walk in today, and planning a second after dinner.

Hope everyones week starts out well!
    Barb
  • Lynn0713
    Lynn0713 Posts: 27
    Options
    Busy weekend and have stayed on my diet and swam Sat and Sunday for my exercise. I weigh in again on Tuesday. I know my clothes are fitting better so hopefully it will be good. Going to log in my food then off to bed.:yawn:
    Lynn
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,955 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: house guests went home this morning.....dogs come home tomorrow morning.....the house is quiet......Bernie is worried because he can't find his doggie sisters

:drinker: we ate a lot of restaurant food and snacks---full of sodium so the scale has some very bad numbers.....it was so nice to get back to my normal eating today :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: I tried to do my weight training this evening and was interrupted by several phone calls and several texts, but even so, it felt good to be active after two days of too much sitting.

:flowerforyou: I've read all the posts but can't reply individually, but I will say that there is a theme of gratitude running through everything I read.....mixed in with aches and pains and family troubles and financial troubles is an attitude of gratitude for loving family members and friends and all sorts of blessings......you all inspire and encourage me.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: see you in the morning
    Barbie
  • bygrace2012
    Options
    Just found you, hoping I will fit in! Be encouraged and be an encourager!! Obviously, I have a lot to learn and I'm believing y'all are the ones with the knowledge! Yep, you can tell by the "y'all" I'm from Texas. My name is Lynda and I'm excited to be here! :flowerforyou:
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Had a wonderful weekend with son #2 and DH along with my sons family posted twice long drawn out posts commented on other posts and both tiems something happened and they disappeared I dont have the energy to go thru it all again so happy night to you all
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Monday is always such a good day. Start the week out well. I just wish every day was Monday. Oh well. I have been given another chance to get it right this week. Weekly shopping done, lots of fresh vege in, zumba tonight. Must learn to do well no matter what pops up in my life.

Important for me this week to get in some form of exercise daily, and plenty of rest. I'm guilty of spending to much time on the internet, if I was a teenager I would be in trouble from my parents.:blushing:
  • kateblue72
    kateblue72 Posts: 113
    Options
    Well, feeling a little 'sorry' for myself, as I am 'stuck' at home working while the rest of the family is at the cabin having fun.... so started to eat thru the pantry :frown: Should be enjoying the peace and quiet ... so after my 'pity' time ... got onto the stationary bike. Figured if I ate the calories, I'd better try to wear them off. That's more like the 'new' me I want to be .... having some dicipline. Now I feel invigorated and ready for a good nights snooze. And I won't beat myself up tomorrow. :smile: To all my fellow Canadians - Happy (Queen) Victoria Day tomorrow! To my international mfp friends, have a GREAT day! Thanks to all just for being here.
  • Skyecath
    Skyecath Posts: 33
    Options
    Hello everyone

I'm reading with interest all your menopause tips. The hot flushes wake me up in the night and I just try to keep calm and breathe through them but I might give a few of your remedies a go.

I've ordered my pedometer and can't wait for it to come. It's silly like I can't walk without it but when it comes there'll be no stopping me!

I had a very bad day on Saturday night when friends came to dinner, the wine and pudding being the main "baddies" of course but I think that I have managed to counteract it by being extra good yesterday. I've now got to be extra good in light of the coming weekend. We're going south to see our daughter off on her travels and then visiting a few friends. When I say weekend, it's actually going to be 6 days away.

Must get ready for work now

Cath x
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,955 Member
    Options
    1624354v5yc6nzyew.gif

Happy Birthday, Mimi
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was very very frustrating. I stepped on something ( I think it was a blackberry branch burried in the grass) and my foot bled and then burned all day. It continued to be very painful all night. Needless to say I barely got in 1200 steps yesterday. My foot is also huring because I was holding my foot so tense and strange because it hurt so much. I would have gone to the doctor this morning but I have my interview so I had to come in. I hope I can keep half the pain out of my face and do well on the interview. I am just so pissed that I hurt my foot as I was really getting back into the walking. At least I didn't eat much yesterday since I was just sitting around all day.

I hope you all have a really magnificent Monday.

Robin, Bodi boy and Ritter bit.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    It said 500 posts so I am looking for part 2:huh:

So I guess I'm the start of Part 2 for May...once I'd done the test

It's gonna be a sunny and warm Monday:flowerforyou:

Mimi - happy belated birthday:flowerforyou:

AlwaysNance- maybe I should have told hubby he could have all the drinks he wanted then we would hear positive stuff from those people he interviewed with...still waiting to hear...hard not to get the hopes up because so many times they have been dashed back to the bottom:ohwell:

Beth- I am just the opposite, I do quite well during the work week and the weekends seem to get me:ohwell:

Amanada-:love: what a husband you have been blessed with:love:

Rachel- walking in place while watching TV:huh: maybe I ought to give that a try.

jane- how fun to have Mother's Day continue on...and to get a "grandma's brag book" My aunt just sent me a box of family photos and one of the things she included was a "brag book" that my grandma had kept in her purse. It was filled with picture of me from when I was adopted by my parents and for the first few years after I had joined the family, I was 16mo old when they adopted me.:happy:

I didn't even get near the computer over the weekend so needless to say I didn't do too well. We did get some good bike rides in on Friday and Sunday, but Saturday was cold and rainy and then company over...I tried but yesterday was my worst day:sad: As much as I'm not liking my job I'm glad for the food routine that it forces on me:blushing:

Must go. it took me longer to catch up then I thought. Everyone have a good day and keep to the plan (if I keep reminding myself I'm sure it will sink in:blushing: )...exercise, log and drink the water:drinker:

Laura80111:smile: