what do you put in plain yogurt?

Options

Replies

• jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I mix a half a scoop of protein powder in my plain greek yogurt.....then I add either blackberries or frozen blueberries. Sometimes I sprinkle granola on top or mix plain uncooked oatmeal in it with a little water and let it sit overnight to make refrigerator oatmeal.....Love plain greek yogurt!
  • MadPanda75
    MadPanda75 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do one tablespoon of honey, fresh or frozen no sugar added berries, and a small handful ( 1/4 to 1/2 cup of low fat granola cereal--have to watch out with the one!)

Check out this homemade muesli recipe on Candice Kumai's website -Stiletto Chef..I bet that would be AWESOME with plain yogurt and a drizzle of honey : )

http://www.stilettochef.com/1082/muesli-the-old-skool-breakfast-for-champs/
  • suzannephx
    suzannephx Posts: 8
    Options
    A little bit of all natural fruit spread and a tablespoon or so of raw nuts, usually walnuts or pecans.
  • ADHar10
    ADHar10 Posts: 18
    Options
    Fresh fruit and honey!

Or muesli/fruit & fibre type cereal

I also add fresh fruits like strawberries, blueberries, bananas and I even tried putting in pureed pumpkin or mandarin oranges along with honey or agave. Delicious!
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! Totally trying the refrigerator oatmeal!
  • cathyislosin
    cathyislosin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    1/3c raw oatmeal, 4 chopped almonds, some chopped fruit (whatever on hand or in season), unsweetened coconut, and splash of almond milk if too thick. This is my go-to breakfast and keeps me going all morning long.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If you want it sweet (for breakfast):
    - Jam (no-sugar-added is better than sugar-free is better than regular)
    - Fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, peaches, bananas, cherries w/ stones removed, whatever you like)
    - Dried fruit (mostly raisins, but stuff like dried apricots or craisins could be good too)
    - Honey
    - A tiny bit of vanilla or almond extract
    - Granola (replace milk with greek yogurt and get more protein at breakfast :D)
    - Pancakes! Mix some into your pancake batter. We've done it with flavored Chobani Greek yogurts, but plain yogurt might give pancakes an interesting sort of tang.

If you want it savory (for lunch or snack):
    - Sliced cucumbers and about a teaspoon of dill (fresh or dried is your call, dried herbs have a sharper, more intense flavor)
    - 1 pkt Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning in 2 cups of fat-free Greek yogurt gives you a delicious low-fat, high-protein ranch dressing substitute. Dip veggies in it, use it on your salads, put it in guacamole (seriously), anything you'd normally do with Ranch if you use it.

You can also sub in plain yogurt in a lot of recipes that call for cream/sour cream/milk/etc, like in smoothies, cream-based dips and sauces, some cakes and quickbreads (I'd check first, Google around some), etc.
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    normally Stevia, true lemon, and often some kind of fruit (on plain greek yogurt.) But lately I've been sprinkling SF lemon jello pudding mix on it (maybe 1/6 of a 4 serving package?) and mixing it in, then adding frozen blueberries. Ends up really thick like lemon cheesecake.

Tried a chocolate SF pudding, but it wasn't nearly as good. Lemon with blueberries really hits the spot.
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i loveeee putting cinnamon in my yogurt its sooo good!!
  • KazzaLee13
    KazzaLee13 Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! They sound really good!! :D

Didn't think I could actually use yogurt as a dip or seasoning but I really like the idea, with cucumber and dried herbs or with spice! Yummy! :)
  • bozzalozza
    bozzalozza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    To greek yoghurt, add a crushed garlic clove and some fresh mint, coriander...any herb really. Add a little water to make it more sauce like...you can then use it as a dressing on salads.

Here's an example...http://aweebitofcooking.co.uk/2011/11/12/leftover-roast-chicken-squash-salad/

You can also add tahini to yoghurt for another style of savoury sauce.
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    bumping this for later awesome post
  • HealthyNFit4Life
    HealthyNFit4Life Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Stevia and blueberries!! Sometimes almonds as well.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Fresh berries are the BEST. Also, I often eat vanilla yogurt rather than plain... Not too much of a difference in nutrition but the taste is good
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I use a yummy protein powder (usually BSN Vanilla Ice Cream) topped with some fresh strawberries, blueberries or pineapple. I love it!!
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I like stevia and cut up strawberries or fresh honey :)
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Honey and cinnamon...yummy!

This. You can also try peanut butter or almond butter.
  • karoumee
    karoumee Posts: 100
    Options
    honey or wheat bran... :)
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    nothing, I just put it in the freezer and eat it as an ice cream.