Snacks for the week...What do you buy?

Options
lukeout007
lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
This is something I've struggled with...I snack a lot...usually at least 1/3 of my calories during the day are from snacking. I don't really have any issue keeping under my cals but I'm finding that I'm getting bored of the same foods all the time. Suggestions?

Looking for good raw fruits/veggies, and other convenient and relatively portable snacks (i have access to a fridge so refrigeration isn't an issue).

Replies

• Jsnbabb1
    Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    protein bars
    protein shake
    fruits
    peanuts
    greek yogurt
    peanut butter

hmmm....i must be pretty boring! lol
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    my usual suspects are: cottage cheese, peanut butter, bananas, oatmeal, whey protein, yogurt
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Eh...that's pretty much what I already buy...bananas, apples, pears, greek yogurt, peppers, carrots, nuts....
  • christinet8504
    Options
    Might sound weird, but I like to make up some grilled chicken and cube it. I eat it with a little bit of honey so it takes care of any sugar craving I have. I make the chicken the night before or use last nights left over chicken and warm it up in the microwave at work.
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i really love nature valley granola bars and dried pineapple rice cakes r good too celery and peanutbutter, one slice of bread with cream cheese is only 100 cals
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I usually buy a few bags of frozen veggies, and what ever is on mark down at the store.. limited food budget so I'm forced to mix it up =p I love strawberry yogurt so I usually get a lot of that.. Sometimes I'll half a personal pizza.. Cucumbers and baby carrots are in my fridge right now! =) Smoothies are good!! =) Get a mix of fruits and some yogurt.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    one slice of bread with cream cheese is only 100 cals

That sounds great but most of the bread I see is more like 100 cals just for the bread with another 50-100 on top of that for the cream cheese...the only one I know of that is less is a 45 calorie sara lee bread but the slices are so small....
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am glad you posted this, because I get lost with this one, too. Bananas, fiber one bars, cheese sticks- not cheddar but low fat string, or even pepper jack(Yum). Also any fruit, baby carrots.
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots, 0% Fage Greek Yogurt, brussel sprouts, strawberries, broccoli, bananas
  • lukeout007
    Options
    I am glad you posted this, because I get lost with this one, too. Bananas, fiber one bars, cheese sticks- not cheddar but low fat string, or even pepper jack(Yum). Also any fruit, baby carrots.

Ah I always forget about string cheese. Haven't had that in awhile. Good call!
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    almonds
    air popped pop corn
    hard boiled eggs
    mozzarella cheese sticks made w/ 2% low fat milk
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I try bake/make my own snacks such as protein bars or balls

Melon, nuts, or bought snack bars such as Nakd and 9 Bar.
  • bellyake3
    bellyake3 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I grab sourdough pretzels and whonu cookies....and I never leave out the skinny cow chocolate truffle ice cream...it's all about the fiber! :smile:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tricuits & hummus
    cottage cheese
    plum tomatoes
    strawberries
    healthy crunchy cereals
    walnuts -cracking them makes me feel like im eating longer than I am
    peanut butter and apples or celery
    popcorn & berries
    sourdough pretzel bits
    kiwis and goldfish
    plain greek yogurt with black cherries thrown in
    or with honey!
    banana peanut butter sandwiches
    dried fruit (with no sugar added)
    broccoli and sour cream baked potatoes
    triscuit pizzas
    reduced fat Ritz crackers with cold cuts and a wee piece of cheese and FRILLY TOOTHPICKS

seriously i could go on all day, I pretty much only snack it seems LOL!
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The light bread I have is only 35 calories a slice. Check the bread isle for light bread. One store I go to has it but the other one doesn't. I love the laughing cow cheeses too! My favorites are the sun dried tomato, garlic and herb, chipolte and french onion. I sometimes have them on veggies or reduced fat wheat thins. It is 200 calories for a full serving of the crackers and 2 wedges of cheese. I love the 100 calorie bags of kettle corn too. The Special K cracker chips are only 110 calories for 27 chips and they aren't too bad. They kind of remind me of pringles. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
    I forgot I also have a fiber one brownie bar nearly every night. Also 160 g of cantelope is only 54 calories.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    mozzarella cheese sticks made w/ 2% low fat milk

are one of the biggest things my scale has ever had to face.

never again.

I think I may have 10 between now and when I die because of that hard-learned truth.
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The big snack a jacks are good. Sweet or savory depending on your preference.

Love the new chocolate and coconut ones!
  • nmterp
    nmterp Posts: 74
    Options
    I get bored easily so I try to shake things up with the following: Baby carrots, sliced cucumber (when I get bored of the plain cucumber I make a cucumber salad w/sugar substitue), sliced bell peppers, snap peas, grape tomatoes, watermelon (in bite size pieces), berries (whatever is a good price that week), celary, goldfish crackers for a treat, string cheese, laughing cow cheese wedges are good for dipping or adding flavor (I melt the queso ones and dip my veggies), bananas, jicima, and edamame, sliced turkey with low fat swiss cheese.
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My typical snacks at work:

Chobani yogurt
    Rice Works chips (1 serving, 140 cals)
    Apples
    Bananas
    Carrots
    Muffins (homemade, 50% whole wheat flour)
    Hard-boiled egg

For a bigger snack, a whole avocado is good (w/ a sprinkle of salt).

I just bought Kashi cereal bars for when I am starving (and don't wanna hit the vending machine) but I haven't tried them yet.
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Since you have a fridge, the BabyBel mini cheese rounds or the Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedges are low-cal.....can eat with veggies or low-cal cracker or spread on a whole wheat bagel thin. http://www.thelaughingcow.com/

I went to Costco last week and they had the huge packs of the single serving size of Sabra hummus....great with your raw veggies or pretzels (or you can make your own and pack in single serving containers).