Do you eat carbs in the morning or night?

Options

Replies

• NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm very strict..and will only eat carbs.....................when I'm awake :happy:
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    All day...every day!
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I don't know all the 'scientific' facts behind the great and mysterious carb - but for me I eat them through out the day. I just watch my portions and keep within my calorie range and macros.

Ding Ding Ding, winner!

Smart ppl from Chicago unite. :)
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant and my body loves to turn carbs into fat, therefore I try not to eat them too late in the day. I want to give myself plenty of time to burn them off before going to bed.
  • shanerg70
    shanerg70 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My trainer said carbs in the morning, protein in the evenings.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as you are in ur cals for the day you are safe.

This line of thinking always irks me. One should consider the quality of calories rather than just the quantity. Eat a diet of 1,500 calories of fast food and 1,500 calories of veggies, fruits, and lean meats and see what difference it makes in your weight loss and overall health.
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love carbs but find that I am "short" of my carb goal every day now. No longer craving them with healthier eating & exercise? Not sure of the reason but I'm glad whatever the reason!
    For actual, definitive (medically sound) advice for to the American Dietetics *kitten*'c. website: htttp://eatright.org.
    I found the website, then met with a Registered Dietician who was very helpful. Scientifically, I'm not sure of any reason to eat carbs late in the day unless you're very active then? I see lots of "urban legend" stuff written here, some of it downright dangerous. On the flip side, there are many great ideas here on MFP also. Love looking at food diaries (of those who have successfully & slowly lost weight) for meal & snack ideas.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I don't know all the 'scientific' facts behind the great and mysterious carb - but for me I eat them through out the day. I just watch my portions and keep within my calorie range and macros.

Ding Ding Ding, winner!

Smart ppl from Chicago unite. :)

Thanks!!! ...And watch out for all those Nato protestors out on the street!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs all day every day. I find that if I go too low on carb intake, my workout performance suffers quite a bit so I keep a relatively high carb intake.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I usually crave high carb foods at night... and do believe if I eat most of my high carbs during the day I have a better chance of burning them off.. But I'm 47 years old and my metabolism is slowing down... In my younger days I don't think it really mattered when the bulk of my carbs was consumed...

I'm 51 and I eat more than half my calories within an hour of going to bed most nights. I don't limit carbs, though I do focus on balanced meals. But I eat brown rice for dinner pretty often. I exceeded my original weight loss goal and have maintained it for a year now.
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    IT DOESN'T MATTER AS LONG AS U STAY WITHIN UR CALORIC RANGE
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i only eat carbs during the daytime or the nighttime.

Me, too. Much healthier that way.
  • vmessyness
    vmessyness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    well considering most of my diet is fruit, vegetables, and legumes, i pretty much eat carbs all damn day! i'm not a carbophobe, but i do generally stay away from any bleached or refined carbs like white pasta/white rice/white sugar etc.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of cutting carbs out all together but I do know that for me, limiting my carbs (especially the starching ones like potatoes, breads and pastas) work best for me.

Some people say if you are going to eat a starchy carb, it's best to do it at lunch time so you can burn it off throughout the day. But then I read a couple articles that stated it was better to have them at night.

For my carb loving friends, do you only eat carbs at certain times of the day?

As long as you are within your calories and macros, it doesn't matter what time you eat anything.
  • MsTT80
    MsTT80 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I spread my carbs through the day, but try to limit to just 2 out of 3 meals if I can. I also don't eat anything after 8pm unless out with friends for a meal
  • FitLink
    Options
    My trainer said carbs in the morning, protein in the evenings.

Cool, bro.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Morning. I have oatmeal in the morning or a smoothie. If you workout, it's okay to have them during the day as well or as snacks like apples, applesauce, smoothie or whatever.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/06/15/why-nutritional-dogma-dies-hard/

Interesting read as it's relevant to the night-time carb myth.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Why can't you work off carbs at night? Your body doesn't shut down you know.

Umm.....of course it does but I've never known anyone to exercise while they sleep. When you are sleeping your body does burn calories, you're right; uhh....but only like 2 calories per minute. Now, the people I know, want to burn more than that. That is why people do not eat a heavy carb dinner past a certain time of day because you will NOT burn it all off while you are sleeping!!!

Uhh...that's just crazy. There is no scientific evidence that it matters what time you eat anything. None what-so-ever.
  • PedroDVC
    PedroDVC Posts: 4
    Options
    In my opinion the best time to eat carbs is: in the morning, because you've been without food for a long period of time and the body needs the energy and also before and after training, because you'll need the energy to train and the energy after training to replenish the body again, so, try to consume most part of your carb intake at these times... in the rest of the day try to eat legumes and vegetables (fiber carbs) that will help in regulating your stomach (if you know what I mean :)... but try to eat carbs for fuel when your body will need them the most... especially whole food carbs, like brown rice, sweet potatoe, whote weat bread, whole pasta, since they will take more time before converting into fat...
    If you do not train try to consume carbs and limit them until the afternoon, maximum until 3, 4 P.M. and reduce the amounts gradually...
    But in general, don't be afraid of carbs, but make sure you know what kinds you are eating...

Hope it helped... sorry for my english... I'm Portuguese... :)
    Take care!