For seasoned runners....

Options

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Lately, my runs are in 100+ temps, and since I usually don't go out for less than 5-6 miles, I always have water with me. After a 12 mile, hilly run in 103 temps last week, I drank approx 60 ounces of fluids, and still managed to lose 5 pounds in the 1:45 it took to run. I just don't understand why anyone would want to play around with their lives by running far in hot weather without having fluids on-hand.

Good point. It doesn't usually get 100+ where I am, and there's usually a cool breeze at the beach, even on a hot day (90+), so it's not that big of a deal for me. If it was 100+, and I was running 10 or 12 miles, I'd probably need to bring some water with me.

Same here, I would have to adjust. In the summer, I get out before it's gets too hot. My LSD is usually done before 9 AM in the summer time, so at worst, I might see 90 toward the end.
  • sarlil
    sarlil Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always carry water with me, even on cold winters days, you can still dehydrate if you sweat too much
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Well I've ran or well sprinted a half marathon and didn't have time or was too worried about my time and pace to get water... Seconds would have helped there a I did need it...

However I can happily run half marathon+ distance without too much concern with water I obviously prefer water but if I run out, I'd rather throw the bottle away or run to a fountain than carry something heavy....

By the way, I think it is something like a few gulps every 15m is rule of thumb, so you shouldn't ever finish a whole CAMELBACK running 5miles or 45min... I mean gosh... a 500ml bottle lasts me almost an hour... A camelback would be enough for a half marathon....

Interesting. You seem like a person who care very much about your splits and such. I can see where carrying something might slow you down.

I do care about my times but not enough to leave my water behind. The times I have finished my pack were 10-12 mile trail runs(rocks,creek crossings, tree roots etc.) not the short pavment pounding days.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the day. If I find it to be tolerable I probably won't carry water for anything shorter than 10k.

If I feel I need to bring water just in case I'll use my fuel belt but I am one of those people that would rather plan a route with water fountains than carry anything.

Last year instead of doing a 16 mile route I just did 4 short out and backs of 4 miles each making a pit stop at my truck to get water so I wouldn't have to carry anything.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I haven't been running long enough to have run in the heat yet - but it's getting here quick. I've run up to 9 miles and haven't had any water on any of my runs. When I run around the lake there are water fountains every so often but I've never used them. The hottest it's been on a longer (for me) run was about 7 miles in the low 80s. I drink all day before I go run and then I drink as soon as I'm done. I haven't had any problems. When it gets hotter I'll probably have to re-evaluate that.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I find that I am shocked at how many people don't carry water on hot days while out running. People that are clearly runners in every way, who apper to be running long distances, don't have any water with them. I run in places where I know these people are running several miles, they are dripping sweat and it is hot and humid out.

So, my question is:
    1) When you run in warm temperatures, lets say 75-100 degrees, what distance do you have to be going in order to bring water with you? (Assume there are no drinking fountains or what have you)

and,
    2)Do you not take water because you just have not found a form of hydrating that you like to carry or wear?

For the record, I carry water (Camelbak) on anything over 5 miles or 45 minute duration. Sometimes I drink it all and wish I had more and sometimes I barely touch it.

Me too. So funny I'm reading this because I saw a lady yesterday not carrying any water she was running a long distance up the hill and had no water I thought to myself, WTH how doesx she do that, I would die? And it was like 93 out. I have to always have water, no matter what the temp outside.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    In the summer I won't carry water for anything under 10 miles (80-90 min). I sweat a lot and I get thirsty but I hate carrying things in my hand and the belts are very uncomfortable.

On the few occasions where I have approached heat injury I just quit running and walk the rest of the way. One of those occasions was 110 degrees on a 10 mile run. I had to start walking at six miles.

I think the key is recognizing the symptoms of heat injury and stopping before it happens.

You don't think carrying water could've prevented that?
    Sure it could have. But I hate carrying it and do it only out of necessity on long runs.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    If it's above 75, I can take water for all runs.

If it's a race, I only carry water if it's a double digit race.

Better safe than sorry is my motto. And I like being able to drink on the run, then slow down to stop at a water fountain or aid stop during a race.
  • sarahkbarnes
    Options
    I can't stand carrying anything. If I'm going to be out for longer than about 1.45 or 2 hours I might stash a bottle of something in the forest and do loops so I come back to it. Usually I just suck it up!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I actually carried water for the first time yesterday. It was also my first run over 8 miles in years and the first I've been more than a couple of miles from my house for about as long. The weight of it wasn't too bad, but the sloshing around was very annoying. I didn't need any until the 7th mile, but I was glad I had it for the end. Since I'm starting to add distance, I figured I need to get used to carrying it, particularly as it's getting hotter.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    Options
    I don't carry water for anything under 12 miles, and I may go up to 16 without water if the weather is cool. I came to these numbers after doing some calculations on my sweat rate. It's advised by medical research that you not lose more than 5% of your body weight in fluids, so I did some experimentation to find out how many miles that is for me and under what conditions. I find that if I stay hydrated all the time (I drink over a gallon of water every day), that I can do runs of these lengths and lose between 3% and 5% of my body weight in fluids, within the acceptable range. Rarely am I thirsty when I run. I don't have dry mouth that I feel like I need to drink.

I will have to do the sweat rate thing. The weather is so fickle and my water retention rate changes drastically depending on my salt intake it seems. But, if I can find an easy way to do figure it out quickly from day to day, I might give it a try. Thanx for the info.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I"m just trying to build up my distance and went for 4.25 miles this past Friday. After 2 miles in the 85+ degree weather I would feel very dizzy after every run interval so I ended up walking just over the last mile. At least I got the distance in :) Next time I will bring water.
  • HeealthyMee
    HeealthyMee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I always have water on me when running on the treadmill at the gym or outdoors on my own. At the gym I use my water bottle and on a trail (or any distance run) I use a fuel belt. The only time I won't run with water or a sports drink is when it is an organized run. They typically will have enough water on the course.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I don't carry water for anything under 12 miles, and I may go up to 16 without water if the weather is cool. I came to these numbers after doing some calculations on my sweat rate. It's advised by medical research that you not lose more than 5% of your body weight in fluids, so I did some experimentation to find out how many miles that is for me and under what conditions. I find that if I stay hydrated all the time (I drink over a gallon of water every day), that I can do runs of these lengths and lose between 3% and 5% of my body weight in fluids, within the acceptable range. Rarely am I thirsty when I run. I don't have dry mouth that I feel like I need to drink.

I will have to do the sweat rate thing. The weather is so fickle and my water retention rate changes drastically depending on my salt intake it seems. But, if I can find an easy way to do figure it out quickly from day to day, I might give it a try. Thanx for the info.

What I do is weigh myself right before a run and then again as soon as I get home. Use a shorter distance so you don't endanger yourself, so like a 5 or 6 miler. Do this on humid and not humid days and also at different temperatures. Eventually you'll get a pretty good idea of when you "need" water and when you don't. Also, there is a mindset that you need to replace what you sweat out and that's not entirely true. If you sweat 5 lbs of water, you don't need to and won't be able to drink 5 lbs of water on that run. All you can do is replenish, not replace. So, make sure that when you do need water, that you just have enough to keep yourself under that 5% number.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    Options
    Sorry, this should have been a QUOTE of Scotts comment:

Thats what I don't want to happen. To have to stop running because I didn't bring water. You also said you hate carrying it. I don't have a problem carrying water, in fact I love wearing my 2 liter camelbak. I just want to make sure Im not being a wuss.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I never carry water with me but I also virtually never run outside if it's over 85, I'll wait till the sun sets or run on a treadmill. If I decide I do want water, I will run a 3 or 4 mile loop and stash my bottle under a shrub.

I should be less judgemental but I usually internally roll my eyes at people doing 5Ks and such while loaded down with water. I did Race for the Cure 5k on Saturday and it was warm, maybe 80, and I saw people wearing those waist bands that hold 5 or 6 little water bottles. The race had 2 stops on the course.
  • TheTallMan
    TheTallMan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If it's super hot out, I'll carry my camelbak, but if it's under 70, regardless of distance, I won't bother. Yeah I'll sweat and feel thirsty, but even on my longer run days (5-10 miles), I've never felt anything major. I just make sure to hydrate plenty once I'm back.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Sorry, this should have been a QUOTE of Scotts comment:

Thats what I don't want to happen. To have to stop running because I didn't bring water. You also said you hate carrying it. I don't have a problem carrying water, in fact I love wearing my 2 liter camelbak. I just want to make sure Im not being a wuss.
    Well, having to stop has only happened to me about twice. Up to the 90s I know I can make 10 miles without killing myself because I have done it many times. 110 was pushing my luck and my limits. I have tried camelbacks and the one on my back rubbed my arm raw and the one around my waist makes my back hurt. I have a fuel belt I use for long runs and I have stashed water in the bushes a few times.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    Options
    It really depends on the day. If I find it to be tolerable I probably won't carry water for anything shorter than 10k.

If I feel I need to bring water just in case I'll use my fuel belt but I am one of those people that would rather plan a route with water fountains than carry anything.

Last year instead of doing a 16 mile route I just did 4 short out and backs of 4 miles each making a pit stop at my truck to get water so I wouldn't have to carry anything.

OMG, How do you double back 4 times!!!!! Thats running the same route 8 times! UGH! I don't double back, I'll blaze my own trail if I have too! lol!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    OMG, How do you double back 4 times!!!!! Thats running the same route 8 times! UGH! I don't double back, I'll blaze my own trail if I have too! lol!

Me too. I hate running "laps". One out and back is tolerable (sometimes) but I really try to do loops whenever possible.