Candida outbreak...finding out you have one!

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one here wondering how her brain will survive considering the ONLY thing our brains use as enegery is glucose and nothing else? After three months of absolutely no glucose for your brain to live on.... I'm pretty sure you'd be brain dead...

The body can convert glycogen into glucose.

The body is completely capable of adapting to any environment to survive. It's not the best way to lose weight, but if you are trying to kill a fungus.... yeah, she'll be alright!!

Anyway, I had blood poisoning once caused by athlete's foot (which is a fungus, and it was absolutely horrible). The spores had made their way into the blood stream. I remember that my doctor didn't prescribe any diet changes. He actually gave me some medicine to treat it.

OP - I'm with others about getting a second opinion.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    To add to above...there is a book called Candida - The Slow Killer by Teresa Schumacher & Toni Lund. I don't know if you can find it on Amazon, but if not let me know and I will get you the information on how to contact the authors.
  • jleed53
    jleed53 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have done the candida-free diet; it's tough.

I also failed at it, however have gotten candida under control through the use of apple cider vinegar, extra virgin coconut oil, and probiotics.

blessings.

excellent!! i picked up some coconut oil yesterday and was thinking of adding in the apple cider vinegar but i read somewhere vinegar was bad for those sufferign with candida so i was confused. did you just gulp it before you ate?
  • jleed53
    Options
    The good news is that once you eliminate all of that from your diet, you will hit your goal in no time.

I feel so sorry for you. I totally couldn't do it! How bad is candida in the blood stream? Isn't that the same thing as blood poisoning? Can't they give you anything for it?

(on a side note: I have a friend named Candida and I often feel sorry for her. I mean WHAT was her mama thinking?!)

Oh, my Candida! We can make it together! (I loved that song when I was a kid).

It's a song???

It is so bad that it has now entered my bloodsteam, so yes it's a form of poisoning. Everyone on earth has candida in their gut, but mine has gone on an outbreak and entered my bloodstream and such. there will be a lot of conflicting evidence on this topic since it's so new and apparently so many people have different opinions! but since i did an actual blood test on this ... I believe the doctor when they tell me it's there!

thanks for the laugh!
  • jleed53
    Options
    Candida sounds too technical. I'm allergic to sciencey sounding names, can't we call it something simple?

Yeah. Yeast.

Yummy!

well played! hahaha!! :laugh:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I have done the candida-free diet; it's tough.

I also failed at it, however have gotten candida under control through the use of apple cider vinegar, extra virgin coconut oil, and probiotics.

blessings.

excellent!! i picked up some coconut oil yesterday and was thinking of adding in the apple cider vinegar but i read somewhere vinegar was bad for those sufferign with candida so i was confused. did you just gulp it before you ate?

ACV is disgusting, I will warn you. But ya, the protocol is 3T, 3x day. I gulped it like a shot and chased with a LARGE glass of water. Ugh. Use the organic, unfiltered type, like Braggs.

It does help significantly with digestion, bloating and gas pain though.

Supposed to do it for 2 weeks; I couldn't make it -- just did one.

The coconut oil is delicious though; I'd put that it black coffee, or fry an egg in it. yum.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I actually thought I was battling Candida for years, to find out it was a rare stomach condition called Lymphocytic Colitis. I am gluten and dairy-free not because I am intolerant but because it affects my stomach. But I watch the sugar, vinegar and things that will upset my stomach.

I take strong, strong probiotics and my daughter actually has an overgrowth of it- she got a fungal infection in her gut, she got excema on her skin because of it and has to take Nystatin a prescription pill.

My son went to my Naturopath, we found out he was allergic to wheat, gluten, dairy, citrus and egg. So I cook from scratch mostly!!! I found out I was allergic to bananas and asparagus. So it's good to know trust me!!!

Olive leaf extract drops help, a strong probiotic, a Nystatin prescription, eating a clean diet like you mentioned (you'll get to know eggs and chicken real well), eating coconut oil daily, etc.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one here wondering how her brain will survive considering the ONLY thing our brains use as enegery is glucose and nothing else? After three months of absolutely no glucose for your brain to live on.... I'm pretty sure you'd be brain dead...

The body is completely capable of adapting to any environment to survive. It's not the best way to lose weight, but if you are trying to kill a fungus.... yeah, she'll be alright!!

Anyway, I had blood poisoning once caused by athlete's foot (which is a fungus, and it was absolutely horrible). The spores had made their way into the blood stream. I remember that my doctor didn't prescribe any diet changes. He actually gave me some medicine to treat it.

Glucose is stored as glycogen and glycogen is then turned back into glucose when the body needs it. If she cannot have any sugar what-so-ever then how will she get any of that? Glycogen is created from sugar. The body will eventually use all of the glucose/glycogen stored in the liver and other organs and begin to use the amino acids in the muscle to start converting into sugar. Hence, muscle mass loss... this just doesn't sound like a good idea. Plus I'm sure the brain will start to have trouble focusing as well as other potentially dangerous consequences.

Second opinion from a real doctor definitely needed...
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Two holidays ago I was on WW, they changed their program. I started having more fruits, and oatmeal and other things I didn't have before because of little points. Over Christmas I baked for the first time in 2 years and ate tons of what I baked. I got very sick. Determined gluten was the culprit. So I no longer was eating gluten or oatmeal (even if it wasn't coated in gluten) A few months later I was feeling so miserable still, I figured out through talking to a friend that i had a bad vaginal yeast infection, and two other areas of my skin that was infected too. I thought how I felt was just part of the hormonal changes that take place at my age or later. I went to doc, asked about intestinal yeast infection, hoping I would get treated and be able to eat what I want. Doc doesn't believe in intestinal yeast infection, but the rest of it I got cleared up. I have worked hard to stay away from the sugar since, but I go awhile, then I go back to having it. And of course I still had fruit. So this year I have figured out that I can't have milk/cheese, peanut butter, sugar, soy. The list just keeps growing and it's sooo frustrating. I was stuck not able to lose anymore weight, (had five to go to hit 50 pound loss) then I gained 7. I have really fallen into a pretty deep depression, for other reasons but the food issues and the discomfort, pain, gas, and bloating doesn't help at all. I have heard and read so much about the Candida issue, but just never really knew what to believe or think. Why do so many doctors find it crazy? But why on earth did all of a sudden I get sick. I ate healthy for 2 years, I was so happy with the changes in how I felt, my energy, etc. Then crash. There must be something to this Candida stuff. You have encouraged me to go back and take a look at this from a Candida stand point, and give this a try. I'm going to have to give up fruit, even bananas, (which I started having every day to help with restless leg syndrome symptoms. Thanks for posting, I know a lot of people don't want to talk about it, because it is something so many think is crazy. Whether or not it is, if this "diet" helps you feel better, I know that it definitely is worth losing out on those foods.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options

You and your silly science don't belong in this thread. BE GONE BRINGER OF LOGIC!!!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Glucose is stored as glycogen and glycogen is then turned back into glucose when the body needs it. If she cannot have any sugar what-so-ever then how will she get any of that? Glycogen is created from sugar. The body will eventually use all of the glucose/glycogen stored in the liver and other organs and begin to use the amino acids in the muscle to start converting into sugar. Hence, muscle mass loss... this just doesn't sound like a good idea. Plus I'm sure the brain will start to have trouble focusing as well as other potentially dangerous consequences.

I didn't say that there wasn't a potential negative effect. But doctors often take the approach of choosing the lesser of two evils. Allow the fungal infection to slowly kill her or deprive her body of some lean mass that can be replaced at a later date. This approach that her doctor is taking is similar to treating a cancer patient with chemotherapy. Chemotherapy doesn't just kill abnormal cells. It kills normal ones too which is why it makes the patient so sick.

But again, I reiterate that I have had a fungus in my bloodstream and was treated with medicine instead of dietary changes. Granted, it was a different type of fungus, but that doesn't mean that this is the only method for treating the OP's infection. Which is why I also recommended a second opinion.
  • arodriguez2
    arodriguez2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bump
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Have a book here called the harcombe diet, that covers candida, and has recipes in it as well for the initial 5 day detox for candida, intolerances and hypoglacaemia. I have simply started taking a probiotic called Probio7, cut my refined sugar and I have very little wheat, oats, grains anyway. I decided to not go to extremes with it, and there is no way I could sustain such a rigid diet. My cravings have mostly gone, I don't bloat as badly, and that is good enough for me.
  • selfishshellfish
    Options

Glucose can be created from protein and fat.

Look up gluconeogenesis.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

I didn't say that there wasn't a potential negative effect. But doctors often take the approach of choosing the lesser of two evils. Allow the fungal infection to slowly kill her or deprive her body of some lean mass that can be replaced at a later date. This approach that her doctor is taking is similar to treating a cancer patient with chemotherapy. Chemotherapy doesn't just kill abnormal cells. It kills normal ones too which is why it makes the patient so sick.

But again, I reiterate that I have had a fungus in my bloodstream and was treated with medicine instead of dietary changes. Granted, it was a different type of fungus, but that doesn't mean that this is the only method for treating the OP's infection. Which is why I also recommended a second opinion.

I get what you're saying about muscle loss and everything.

I suppose I'm just more concerned with the health and wellness of her brain than anything else..... So when it comes to choosing "less of two evils" I would still go with the one that doens't potentially damage my brain...
  • stacyll
    stacyll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    another book you might want to check out is The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health by Robert O. Young and Shelley Redford Young. even if you decide not to adopt the strict diet it will help you understand how foods impact the acidity in your body which is related to yeast.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

It's a song???

Tony Orlando and Dawn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WROdwlk9_h8

:laugh:
  • emilyrtanner
    emilyrtanner Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there. After a super strong course of antibiotics I also have candida. Its really awful!!! I feel your pain. But I am trying to use the candida diet as a jump starter for losing some weight! How is it going for you?

I am currently taking the following -
    Renew Life critical care probiotic - http://www.amazon.com/Renew-Life-Ultimate-50-Billion/dp/B001LIW11Q
    Garlic supplements 1x daily
    Apple cider vinegar 3x daily
    Coconut oil 2x daily

I am not doing the full fledged super strict diet. For the past week and a half I have cut out all grains, including anything with wheat, gluten or yeast, candy/cakes/sugary foods, starches (corn, potatoes), processed foods, sugar, and nearly all dairy. But I am still eating fruit. I also ate dairy (plain yogurt) but it gave me a stomach ache. I have noticed a lot of the symptoms have lessened. I am less lethargic, I have less bloating and gas, and I have less sugar cravings!

I have been keeping a food and symptom diary to pinpoint what my triggers are (its different for everyone!) - seems like dairy is the big one. As I add other things back in I'll learn more. I am curious to see what grains will do because I love bread more than anything. And chocolate....sigh....

Been eating a lot of meat, salad, veggies, and hummus. To quell my sugar cravings I have eaten fresh fruits. I also have made a trail mix with a little bit of dark chocolate. The hardest part has been no alcohol though. :(

Just a hint, if you are looking for good recipes, try searching paleo or primal diet recipes! The paleo style of eating is actually very on par with candida. Following the strict diet is not sustainable, but making an effort to cut back on refined sugar and processed foods is a VERY good choice. Dairy isn't really good for you either. Personally I won't give up grains but I will try to make better choices like buckwheat or quinoa.

Regarding doctors...they have a tendency to diagnose this as separate things - for me, for example, a yeast infection, IBS, a skin rash, and a nail fungal infection. They want to prescribe four different treatments! They refuse to see the common link - all of this is connected to yeast overgrowth that stemmed from a course of antibiotics that literally ruined my digestive system.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Candida a few years ago and did the candida cleanse diet for 6 months, along with some probiotics and other supplements. It made me feel so much better, and bonus - I lost 18 pounds without even trying!!!! It can be overwhelming at first to cut out all sugar, but it can be done. I found that I didn't even crave it anymore.
  • emilyrtanner
    emilyrtanner Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    OP
    I am not a doctor but I am a biochemist. I have had some issues regarding yeast so I too did quite a bit of research on this.
    First I want to say - I really think the whole candida systemic infection is a load of crap. The reason I say this is because I have done a lot of work in the pharmaceutical industry. And they will throw money at any study if they think there is a chance to increase indications for medications. And yet as much as they would love to prove systemic yeast infections they can not.
    Second if you have allergies they probably have very little to do with the amount of yeast in your body.
    You didn't specify what you think this yeast is doing to you. Is the problem digestive or vaginal? Either way a treatment like diflucan can eliminate the yeast. It wont hurt you cut back on bread and sugar but these are only small factors IMHO.
    Adding a probiotic can also help.
    If the problem is vaginal it is due to something creating an alkaline environment. This can come from oral contraceptives, sperm and other soaps. And can be aggravated by non-cotton underwear as well as douching. The best thing you can do for this is boric acid pills. DONT EAT THEM. You insert them vaginally.
    Please get a second opinion but your family physician or ob/gyne prior to taking on a drastic diet change.
    PM me if you want more info.

For me the problem is both digestive and vaginal. I don't have any allergies. I have taken diflucan and it did nothing. This was my last resort and I feel I have no other options. I would love to hear more though....