Does your 8 glasses of water have to be water??!

Options

Replies

• dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Nope! :drinker:
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    I love water...but then I also put a couple of slices of lime and a bruised sprig of mint in it sometimes to give it a little flavour. I also prefer it room temperature than ice cold.

sounds good, but why is your sprig of mint bruised. lol, just never heard of that before.
  • diben
    diben Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No, it can be many different liquids as long as their not soda or alcohol. In fact, your body gets lots of water through the food that you eat too. For example, watermelon, cucumber and cantaloupe.

Tea is still water, just because it's been brewed with tea leaves doesn't mean the water evaporated!!! That's silly.

Here's a great writeup about eating your liquids:

Myth 2: You need eight glasses of water a day.

When our cells are not fully hydrated, they deteriorate and can't function at their peak level. This leads to the tissue damage we refer to as aging. As we age, we naturally lose water, and it's this water loss that makes it harder for our bodies to heal, scavenge for free radicals, defend against invading bacteria and pathogens, and keep the effects of hormonal imbalance in check. But here's the catch: simply drinking up won't replenish your healing waters.

The trick is getting water into the cells and connective tissue and keeping it there so that every cell can function at its full capacity. If we can't keep the water in our cells, we'll be heading to the bathroom eight, 10, or 20 times a day. Like a perforated pocket trying to hold coins, the water seeps out and becomes wasted water — the kind that shows up as swollen legs and ankles, puffy eyes, and allover bloating.

To replenish moisture, eating water is better than drinking it. The main ingredient in fruits and vegetables is water, and this liquid is surrounded by molecules that help it get into cells easily and quickly. Watermelon and cucumbers, for example, are 97 percent water; tomatoes and zucchini are 95 percent. One slice of whole-wheat bread is about a third water, and a tortilla somewhat more. A roasted chicken breast is 65 percent water, baked salmon 62 percent, and even cheeses such as blue and cheddar are about 40 percent water. Beans, grains, and pasta act like sponges when you cook them, which is why a cup of boiled red kidney beans is 77 percent water. (However, raw vegetables are still more healthful.) Try eating more water-rich foods, and you'll feel more energized after 10 days, see plumper, brighter skin in four weeks, and have a leaner, more hydrated body after 10 weeks.

Source: Dr. Howard Murad http://www.marieclaire.com/health-fitness/news/water-food-and-diet
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Water intake needs to be WATER INTAKE. If this was negotiable, the little ticker thingy would read "liquid consumption" instead of "water consumption." Not to be too blunt, but, suck it up and drink the water. How important is this to you?

blessings,
    sam

no. just no. your water intake can be anything that isn't laden w/ sugar, caffeine, salt, or alcohol. the purpose of water is to keep your body hydrated, so any liquid that doesn't DEhydrate or cause unnecessary calorie consumption is fine.
    this.

Heck yes.
    If you're honestly going to tell me it no longer has water in it and is now tea ONLY and does NOT count as water because I let some leaves soak in it.. is kinda dumb.
    With that logic the second I put a lemon slice in my water it's no longer water either.
    Best magic trick ever! I added something to my glass and the water disappeared!!
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
    I'm someone who drinks 5-7 cups of green tea a day, 1 coffee,1 diet soda and 1 water. Is it better to drink more water? Like, how is green tea worse than water?
  • bjnorvell
    bjnorvell Posts: 43
    Options
    Honestly you should drink the 8 glasses of water a day, just as 8 plain glasses of ice cold water! After those 8 glasses drink water with lemon or with crystal light in it. Anytime you add anything that has sugar or any sweetener in it will eventually make you crave more sugar. The comment about a glass of tea with just a plaintea bag in it is still just water, actually it depends on what kind of tea you use...Lipton Tea has natural and artificial ingredients in it. So technically it isn't plain natural water anymore!
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    its really friggin hard to drink 8 glasses of water a day and not be too full for actual food.....maybe i need smaller cups! im drinking out of gnc protein shake glasses!
  • shmo1969
    shmo1969 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Water intake needs to be WATER INTAKE. If this was negotiable, the little ticker thingy would read "liquid consumption" instead of "water consumption." Not to be too blunt, but, suck it up and drink the water. How important is this to you?

blessings,
    sam

no. just no. your water intake can be anything that isn't laden w/ sugar, caffeine, salt, or alcohol. the purpose of water is to keep your body hydrated, so any liquid that doesn't DEhydrate or cause unnecessary calorie consumption is fine.

^^^ this^^^
  • TeriLynnSpano
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    No, it can be many different liquids as long as their not soda or alcohol. In fact, your body gets lots of water through the food that you eat too. For example, watermelon, cucumber and cantaloupe.

Tea is still water, just because it's been brewed with tea leaves doesn't mean the water evaporated!!! That's silly.

When our cells are not fully hydrated, they deteriorate and can't function at their peak level. This leads to the tissue damage we refer to as aging. As we age, we naturally lose water, and it's this water loss that makes it harder for our bodies to heal, scavenge for free radicals, defend against invading bacteria and pathogens, and keep the effects of hormonal imbalance in check. But here's the catch: simply drinking up won't replenish your healing waters.

The trick is getting water into the cells and connective tissue and keeping it there so that every cell can function at its full capacity. If we can't keep the water in our cells, we'll be heading to the bathroom eight, 10, or 20 times a day. Like a perforated pocket trying to hold coins, the water seeps out and becomes wasted water — the kind that shows up as swollen legs and ankles, puffy eyes, and allover bloating.

To replenish moisture, eating water is better than drinking it. The main ingredient in fruits and vegetables is water, and this liquid is surrounded by molecules that help it get into cells easily and quickly. Watermelon and cucumbers, for example, are 97 percent water; tomatoes and zucchini are 95 percent. One slice of whole-wheat bread is about a third water, and a tortilla somewhat more. A roasted chicken breast is 65 percent water, baked salmon 62 percent, and even cheeses such as blue and cheddar are about 40 percent water. Beans, grains, and pasta act like sponges when you cook them, which is why a cup of boiled red kidney beans is 77 percent water. (However, raw vegetables are still more healthful.) Try eating more water-rich foods, and you'll feel more energized after 10 days, see plumper, brighter skin in four weeks, and have a leaner, more hydrated body after 10 weeks.

Source: Dr. Howard Murad http://www.marieclaire.com/health-fitness/news/water-food-and-diet
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Water intake needs to be WATER INTAKE. If this was negotiable, the little ticker thingy would read "liquid consumption" instead of "water consumption." Not to be too blunt, but, suck it up and drink the water.

FALSE. Absolutely and completely FALSE!!!
  • paulasue145
    Options
    Is it necessary to drink my own urine? No! But it's sterile and i like the taste!

Dodgeball :drinker:
  • TeriLynnSpano
    Options
    The glasses refered to in eight glasses of water=1 cup(measuring cup).:drinker:
  • bjnorvell
    Options
    :drinker:
    I'm someone who drinks 5-7 cups of green tea a day, 1 coffee,1 diet soda and 1 water. Is it better to drink more water? Like, how is green tea worse than water?

That is alot of tea, Green Tea helps your body to filter stuff out instead of helping the body flush itself. But that is alot of caffeine as well if you aren't drinking decaf. I would suggest more plain ice cold water, maybe even diluting the tea some to get the water intake in.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    WATER = WATER = WATER! :drinker:

Artificial flavoring, colors, tea, unsweetened or not is NOT Water.:sad:
    Tea, coffee, wine, juice = LIQUID
    And some are dehydrating = drink MORE PLAIN WATER

A doctor told me years ago that we don't wash our clothes in tea, right?!!
    Same applies here..........

WATER = WATER = WATER! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • bjnorvell
    Options

^^^ THIS!!!!!
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Liquids that are not plain water are perfectly capable of hydrating. If not every baby would be dehydrated as most consume only breast milk and/or formula for weeks on end.
    Your body is designed to use the H2O in pretty much any liquid you put into your stomach.
  • BTag3
    BTag3 Posts: 14
    Options

Good info!!! Glad I kept reading after someone said adding tea to water made it not water... hahaha... I love tea, been drinking it for years and haven't dried up yet. Some people are really militant about water though. Oh well, to each his own.
  • paulasue145
    Options
    i agree, that i personally would never count anything caffinated or dehydrating as a glass of water....

there are teas that are good for you that are neither caffinated, dehydrating, or artificial.... I don't see what is wrong with counting that.
    Honestly, I think this can be like splitting hairs and it gets too complicated. If someone has a really hard time drinking their 8... it's up to them if they add a few drops of mio or lemon, or tea.....
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I wonder how it is that I'm not dead????? I mean... I haven't had a glass of "water" in about 5 years.
  • evilbatwitch
    evilbatwitch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The best 2 cups of water I drink other than coffee, are non-fat, broth, bullion base. Sipped slow, feel fuller, but keep the salt low, too or you're retaining water. Not nice the day of WI to be retaining.