need help on what to eat.... 1200 calorie diet..

Options
I have been on 1200 calorie diet for about 3 months.. and i live alone.. i just dont know what to eat..
I have lost almost 30 lbs... just have a hard time figuring out what to fix for dinner is my hardest part.
any suggestions??

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I like to browse the recipes at EatingWell.com for inspiration. They also have 1200 calorie meal planners that you could browse for ideas:

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans/diet_meal_plans/7_day_diet_meal_plan_to_lose_weight_1200_calories
  • TiggerFan68
    TiggerFan68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try www.skinnytaste.com

The woman who owns the site gives you all of the nutritional info for each recipe, such as calories, fat, protein, and carbs, plus sodium and all of her recipes are Weight Watchers friendly. She even puts the WW Points and Points + values for each recipe. So far, every recipe I have tried has been delicious! I especially love the Skinny Chicken Enchiladas! They are all easy recipes to make, without requiring a bunch of hard to find, expensive ingredients.
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    Look on Hungry girls website. Lots of quick one person meals, with low calories.

Check into volumetrics diet, lots of tips to load up your plate without overloading the calories. This is great if you live alone because your less likely to snack if your full.

I like lean cuisines, salad, and soup for a quick by myself dinner.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    some good websites here - thank you :happy:
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Eating on 1200 cals can be easy (ish) I found that I immediately switched to eating foods that would fill me up or were so low cal that I could eat a lot of them so my diet went into lean protein and loads of vegetables and fruit. I also eat porridge pretty much every day and it will be a filling breakfast (I've also discovered you can add sugar free milkshake mix to add some flavour for no added calories). Mushroom omelettes are great and low cal (leave the yolk in - it's where the goodness lies) and tuna can become your best friend! I added a can of tuna to some 100cal soup today, a little sprinkle of curry powder and a delicious easy lunch for 245 cals that kept me full until dinner. I used to find that experimenting myself was the most fun and also taught me so much about how much of things I can have and the calorie value of them, so eating out now is pretty easy because I can gauge calories by looking at my plate.

p.s. Congrats on your loss so far - that's an amazing amount to lose! xx
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Chicken and veggies are your friends. I also rely on protein shakes but only because I am lazy.

I eat a lot of chicken as one of the lowest calorie meats besides maybe tuna and I'm not huge fish eater. I eat salads or soups a lot all homemade as canned have too much sodium. Usually I will make up a bunch of chicken on Sunday and mix in some taco seasoning then have taco salad or something like that a few nights or at least most lunches.
  • kendra11c
    kendra11c Posts: 11
    Options
    I like to make a big meal that I can eat for the rest of the week. quinoa and garbonza bean salad, pre cut fruits for smoothies, chicken stir fry, premade rice (to mix beans or homemade curry into), just anything that you can spend a few hours one day cooking and then pull out whenever your hungry works great for living alone!
  • IDAWILLIS2003
    Options
    I sometimes have the same problem, but what I do is search the internet for different varieties of healthy menus and go from there. I also added more fruits to my diet and less sugars.
  • Homa24
    Homa24 Posts: 33
    Options
    I'll second quinoa, it is good hot or cold and in salads. It is a complete protein which is good too. I like to squeeze fresh lemon juice onto it along with some pepper. Just steamed artichockes the other day and they took time to eat which made it an interesting change. Plus: they're in season right now!
  • gogirl110
    gogirl110 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Very good information here. Thanks!!!!!
  • grneyedcountryangel
    grneyedcountryangel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Salads (with low calorie dressing)
    Soups
    Veggies
    Beans (not low calorie themselves but good to put with a meal because they fill you up!)
    Rice
    Oatmeal
    Fruit
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ellie Krieger has a great cookbook called "the food you crave" - you can get it on Amazon. The recipes are pretty easy, taste great, and work easily into a 1200 calorie diet. http://www.amazon.com/The-Food-You-Crave-Luscious/dp/1600850219

She is a registered dietician in addition to being a TV chef.
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Check out emilybites.com for some recipes.
  • LBash03
    LBash03 Posts: 72
    Options
    Try www.skinnytaste.com

The woman who owns the site gives you all of the nutritional info for each recipe, such as calories, fat, protein, and carbs, plus sodium and all of her recipes are Weight Watchers friendly. She even puts the WW Points and Points + values for each recipe. So far, every recipe I have tried has been delicious! I especially love the Skinny Chicken Enchiladas! They are all easy recipes to make, without requiring a bunch of hard to find, expensive ingredients.

This is my absolute favorite website. Great meals, they don't make a whole lot so you can finish it yourself through the week.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Rotisserie chicken without the skin.
    King Oscar's Brisling Sardines in Olive OIl drained with lemon and freshly ground pepper
    Marinated chicken breasts
    Fish
    Fage 0% yogurt

Multigrain English Muffins
    Oatmeal
    Quinoa
    Brown rice

Salads with limited or no dressing
    Vegetables

Low-calorie soups

Nuts
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    really great info here, thanks for posting...
  • suerun11
    suerun11 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Lots of great websites given! Thanks!