what do you do to lift your spirits?

Options
I'm feeling a bit down today. I know I'm progressing with my fitness and it feels great, but other aspects of my life are getting me down. Most specifically, an unrequited crush I am suffering. What I really want to do is walk on my lunch break to the fancy chocolatier and treat myself to something small But this is my usual coping mechanism- food.

What do you do to lift your spirits? Help me out here.....

Replies

• Stallion_Duck007
    Options
    I like to watch youtube videos about happy stories. Like the Ellen show, or people proposing to their girlfriends. I'm kind of suffering the same thing about life. I'm down about being unemployed. But I can't help what I have no control over, no use in fretting over it, right?

Hope this helps!
  • MsSickOfBeingFluffy
    MsSickOfBeingFluffy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I bust out the face peel masks, nail polish and pedi cream and pamper myself. However, if at work I would simply rock it out w/my headphones because sometime, music alone, is all ya need :] Hope you feel better!
  • sunygrl2
    sunygrl2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I turn on some fun funky music and just dance, dance, dance.
  • b0mbersfan
    b0mbersfan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    its funny how we "reward" ourselves by harming ourselves.... sometimes I think "I've done so good I deserve a ______________(fill in something really bad for you). " I try to remember that a reward is something good, not something bad... so how can a chocolate shake or a damn cheeseburger be a reward? It's not. Remember to reward yourself to feel good...
  • Stallion_Duck007
    Options
    Also, Draw your dreams being achieved! You don't have to be an artist, but I know when I draw a skinny me in a wedding dress standing next to Ryan Gosling, I feel pretty freaking awesome.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I feel you (especially with the unrequited crush)

When I'm feeling down I tend to either have a nap (not always possible), treat myself to something non-food - such as a manicure (the place near my house charges $7) or I make lists. I'll just plan something, even something small like my day tomorrow, and that takes my focus off of what is upsetting me, at least for a while.

Feel better! :)
  • Carrie2732
    Carrie2732 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm such an emotional eater, and I'm a bit prone to depression/anxiety, so I totally feel you on this one. Things that make me feel better are: Great music (I try to treat myself to a new song download instead of something to eat); hot baths, new make up (drugstore because that's the kind of budget I'm on) or hair stuff, calling a friend, doing something creative or useful around the house--fixing something, painting something, a trip to the fabric store, or a trip to the library.

Hope one of these ideas will be helpful to you!
  • hopeC12
    hopeC12 Posts: 38
    Options
    If I'm home I dance and sing in my room (to music on my computer usually - Pandora Radio is great if you haven't already discovered it).

If you can't do that then try going for a walk if the weather is decent. Just don't take your wallet with you so you won't be able to buy a snack :)

If you are at work, maybe try asking a colleague you enjoying talking to out for coffee or lunch just to chat?
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I like to watch youtube videos about happy stories. Like the Ellen show, or people proposing to their girlfriends. I'm kind of suffering the same thing about life. I'm down about being unemployed. But I can't help what I have no control over, no use in fretting over it, right?

Hope this helps!

Youtube videos are a great idea. I usualy go for the cute kitten/ puppy vids.

Thanks!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I dance and beat the gym into submission... which is what I'll be doing today since I'm frustrated :bigsmile:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Truth is I workout. When I care for myself everything else falls into place. :smile:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I just say FUK IT! And drag my *kitten* out of it.
  • higgins1988
    higgins1988 Posts: 38
    Options
    i make lists too! or watch some crappy reality tv like the kardashians :) shopping always works xxx
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I bust out the face peel masks, nail polish and pedi cream and pamper myself. However, if at work I would simply rock it out w/my headphones because sometime, music alone, is all ya need :] Hope you feel better!

yes music .... *busting out the headphones*
  • rklein71
    rklein71 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When I am feeling down about anything, I put on some awesome music and journal. I write and write and write. I sometimes write about what is making me upset and how I can change it, or I write about all of the good things that are happening in my life that should make me happy. Sometimes the answer is in my head and I just have to find it :) And I always try to remember that food never tastes as good as healthy feels.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Hookers and Blow

Works every time.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I put on praise and worship music and pray, praise, cry, sing and dance. Then I will either take a nap, put on some good old school funky music and jam while doing something constructive in the house, or go out for some retail therapy. But not food!! I've worked so hard to get to where I am now, and I don't want to derail my efforts over something or someone that probably wasn't worth the trouble anyway.
  • jen7eleven
    jen7eleven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Like previous posters, I'm a fan of blasting some good music to get me out of a funk. Sing (out of tune, who cares), dance, rock out, air guitar, air drums, anything to get me going until I can laugh at myself.

You could also try writing out what's bothering you - a letter to yourself. Even if you end up shredding/deleting it afterwards. Getting it out in some form might help you deal with it a little better.
  • SelenityJ
    SelenityJ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater to... so instead of going to a chocolate shop and i need a pick me up... i generally go for an all fruit smoothie or a fat free yogurt with berries... and if i really need a chocolate fix i shave half a square of dark chocolate over the yogurt. (The diet I'm on allows two small squares of dark chocolate a day*Think an individual wrapped dove square*) If I add the dark chocolate to the yogurt and berries i make sure to pick a berry or fruit that isn't considered a carb fruit as I then treat the yogurt as a fat snack and plan on having a fat meal (with no carbs) afterwards.